1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like ....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by activeservo, Mar 30, 2003.

1. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To recommend a film I have just finished watching .It's called "Ghost Ship" starring Gabriel Byrne. Pretty scary, nice story, good ending.It was the R1 version and anyone who likes fright movies should check it out.:smoke:

2. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know films are all about personal taste and everyone's entitled to their opinion.....

But I'd just like to express my opinion :)

I THINK GHOST SHIP IS THE WORST FILM I'VE EVER SEEN. IT'S NOT EVEN BAD IN A FUNNY WAY, IT'S JUST PLAIN AWFUL!!!!!!!

thats my opinion :D

I was very tempted to beat up my friends who I went with to see it. Ventage was required :)

3. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you stated a question of taste but I think your over exagerrating, it wasn't that bad lets just say I 've seen alot worse I still think it's worth a gander!!!! :smoke: Did you like Resident Evil??????:cool:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,958
    i have to say, there was nothing scary about Ghostship whatsoever!!

I saw it at the cinema, and it was a waste of money!

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PQ on the DVD is meant to be reference quality though.

Anyway, God love Dark Castle... they may make crap horror films but at least they make horror films :devil:

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    I cant add my personal opinion as I have not seen it but I have a mate who is a projectionist and he said he was pleasantly surprised with it, and gave it :smashin:

7. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't like Resident Evil, but I was quite impressed with how it ended (In story and visual terms:)). Though I have had an itching recently to watch it again. At the time, I simply thought it was a pretty poor/cheesy zombie flick, but now I'm kind of thinking that the film did actually stay true to the games and its style.

I thought the games were great, but the same horror just didn't convert to the big screen. Which makes me wonder that we simply think the games are scary because we are interacting with them.

I like my dross as much as the next one, but when it comes to horror films, I become more critical for some reason :)

I just think the Americans are simply light years behind Asia and what they do with the horror genre. They have honed the genre so well, and are right up my alley (creepy slow burning kind of horror).

The Eye, Dark Water, Kairo. Class films, that American film makers simply don't get. They buy up the remake rights because they know they are good, but still won't release them as they are. They tried it with the remake of Ring, but I still reckon the original's better. They just tried to add what wasn't needed.

I guess it might be kind of hard for a filmmaker to justify making a slow burning, simple horror film. Not because the audience won't take to it, but because you can't really tell that you're making a scary film when you are making it. Rushes of a slow camera pan to an empty space or something just won't seem scary at the time, it only works when it comes together on the big screen. Not like watching the rushes for a huge explosion or a gory death, you know you've got what you want when you're making stuff like that that, you don't know this if you are making a film like Dark Water. Which fuels nevousness and so, unnecessary flash is added, after all you are making a multi million dollar movie for a major studio, the pressure is on.

Thats my theory of why anyway :)

The Americans had it on for a short period around '99 with Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, Blair Witch, What Lies Beneath. But these kinds of films have disappeared once again.

Jeepers Creepers had it for about 30 minutes, then imploded into a horrible horrible mess :)

I just look to Asia now to get my horror fix, or just watch some classics like The Shining :)

Damn, I was simply going to reply that I didn't really like Resident Evil. Now look what you made me do :)

8. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess your right,although I really liked Resident Evil the game and the movie,although I have to agree with all points in your post except the resident evil part.Jeepers creepers was total crap I was really disappointed with that.The ring was also disappointing,and not having seen the original or any of the films from asia that you mentioned so I can't comment on them.I'm a great fan of the horror genre and it's been awhile since I saw a really good scary movie although not so long ago I saw a British horror flick" Long time dead" I think it was called and I was pleasantly surprised.Anyway saw Ghost ship for the second time tonight with the wife and she thought it was o.k nothing more ,so I guess it is just that.Stigmata was another film that put the shivers up my spine just thought I'd mention that before I sign off.Thanks for your input.:smoke:

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ghostship sucks.............period!!!!!!!!!. went to see the core yesterday, a underhyped movie, and i loved every second.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not total crap, the first 20 minutes are great... it's just the final 70 minutes that aren't so good :(

Agree with you there. A very much maligned film that didn't deserve the slating it got.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeepers Creepers could have been great, really, really great... but it was, as everyone has stated, crap due to the end half hour/ 45 mins. Long Time Dead was ok, but nothing special, the whole shifting frim minor drug use to scary super natural horror, coupled with stupid character descisions turned me off.

12. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "The Americans had it on for a short period around '99 with Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, Blair Witch, What Lies Beneath. But these kinds of films have disappeared once again."

Personally I hated these films! I love horror and phycological horror. My all time favourites are films as diverse as dawn of the dead, american werewolf in london, the shinning, scream and IT. But I really didn't enjoy the films you listed. Sixth sense was ok, and there were a few good jumps. Blair witch is probably the most over rated film i've seen (the only bit of any interest was the final few seconds). And as for the other two, utter crap imho.

The only decent horror Ive seen in a while is probably dog soldiers (and the pretty underrated ginger snaps was pretty good as well).

I though ghost ship and res evil where ok actually, but Im hoping 28 days later lives up to my expectations, and if dog soldiers was anything to go by it should :)

P.s I agree about jeepers creepers. First 30 mins Excellent! could have been a classic. More atmosphere than Ive seen in a long time.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably my favourite mainstream horror release of the last year.

You might also enjoy 'My Little Eye' if you're into the mainstream psychological horror stuff.

14. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "You might also enjoy 'My Little Eye' if you're into the mainstream psychological horror stuff."

Yeah, saw it a few months ago. Was pleasantly surprised!

15. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Activeservo, if you like Ghost Ship then you'll probably like 13 Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill if you haven't already seen them (made by the same people).

I don't like them, but we seem to be at different ends of the horror spectrum :)

My Little Eye was good, but am I the only person who doesn't think people based horror is scary? I prefer the unknown every time.

Stuff like My Little Eye and Scream are great films, but they just don't make me shiver.

And the My Little Eye DVD looks well cool :)

16. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The old teen slasher movies like "I Know what you did last summer",Nightmare on elm street,Friday the 13th,Halloween.Cheesy but good fun to watch all the same.What about the all time classic "The Exorcist"?Scared the hell out of me first time I watched it ,which I must admit was along time ago.I watched it again recently and obviously it didn't have the same impact as the first time,but i'm getting older so see things in a different perspective I guess.Regarding Jeepers Creepers I now remember the first 20 mins or so were o.k and then it seriously went downhill from then on.O.k lets keep it going, see how long we can keep this tread going!!!!!!! :smoke: Oh spazwunkle have seen 13 ghosts which was o.k, but haven't seen House on Haunted hill. What kind of reviews did it receive????? :smoke:

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There is a real art to making someone feel scared... unfortunately most writers/film-makers think it involves gross-out makeup or sudden entrances from above! :rolleyes:

I love really dark horror movies, such a shame there are so few good ones :(

18. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Got to agree with that

It's all to do with what you don't see etc, I'm pretty sure most people are terrified of the build up leading up to a scare or a reveal, then the actual money shot itself :)

I'm sure you all know about these because of your AV enthusiasm, but I'll recommend them anyways :)

So I'll say it again, go to the East to get your scares!!! :)

The original Ring you can buy in HMV for cheap. But if you've seen the remake, you'll know what you're getting.

The Eye - Actually buy as R2 now, but you can get the R0 for £5 from DDDHouse, with DTS.

Dark Water - From the director of the original Ring. Again R3 and at under £10 from DDDHouse or other HK retailers, you can't loose.

Kairo - R3 at £5 from DDDHouse (as you can tell, my retailer of choice :D). It isn't solely a horror film because it transforms into something more apocalyptic in the second half. Hard to explain, but still damn good.

For those prices, they shouldn't be a problem for anyone on these forums :)

Apart from the Shining, I can't really recommend any American films from the same kind of stable off the top of my head. Which is very depressing.

Not to say there isn't good horror films in terms of watching them from the States and elsewhere. I love lots of American horror films, but having them actaully scare me is a different matter.

But then again, everyone's different :)

Don't suppose anyone knows the release date of Ju-on on DVD for Region 3 or anywhere else? It looks well good

:smashin: