1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like to make my first ever CRT buy

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nathalietmagnat, Apr 5, 2005.

1. nathalietmagnat

nathalietmagnat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone

i'm new to CRT as i've not worked - as a projectionist - in cinemas which had them - or were making good/often use of them. anyway, i'm also a graduating student in fine arts at Goldsmiths in London, i've decided to get - or borrow :eek: - a crt projector for my degree show cuz rashes come out when i see my video work shown on college's old Hitachi projectors.

well i've just seen the 'hard time selling' thread but that's already from ten days ago... how are you getting on? are there still some CRT's out there?

i want to say two things: i'd rather trade with you because you all seem to know your stuff and since i want to learn more once i get the product. well this is perhaps the start of a love story (with a cRT). second: i know what the original prices of these beauties are, and i know it would be fair to pay the asking price right? but i'm still kind of relatively poor (i'm only on a part-time, so i can sleep and study) so i could go to £400 absolute max.
    i was checking on ebay, but i lost out on a Barco 701 from alan in scotland. the highest bid was 226£ and the seller's reserve wasn't even met. i completely regret not having posted my maximum 400£ but i just had no idea of the value (and also first time i was ebaying, no idea on which planet i was living in, i bid like a troll). when i saw alan's name on a thread five minutes ago i thought well tough.
    anyway please let me know if you've got dust gathering on one of yours. i'm building a room that will be entirely metallic walls, workbenches, and floor [called the observatory] and projecting on a 120x90 cm screen (small for a CRT perhaps] using the CRT as technology [for a great image quality for my work] and prop. do you think the crt will contribute to a sci-fi look, in a Doctor Who (old style) kinda way?

well thanks for your consideration of a beginner if you do read this message.

all the best,
    Nathalie.
    PS: by the way, can you tell me a website where i could find a good all round technical xplanation. i should really start learning this, as a projectionist.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi there! :) Just a few things you should take into consideration. CRT projectors are not the same as the ones used in a cinema, they are very different and operate using the same technology as in a conventional television set (ie not a plasma or LCD) Yes you can pick them up cheap, but with a CRT the way they have been looked after is very important as it can effect the performance to quite a degree :smashin: Also placing the unit in a metallic room will mean that there well be a lot of reflection goining on which will radically effect the performance of a CRT (or any other PJ for that matter) Dark non reflective colours are best :thumbsup: as the light output of a CRT is relatively low. Another point to take into account is that CRT projectors do not have zoom lenses and therefore have an ideal position in order to project a certain size image. To project an image only 1.2m accross the Pj would be sitting very close to the screen :) I dont want to sound like Im trying to rain on your parade but just thought you should know some basic facts :smashin:

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
  4. nathalietmagnat

nathalietmagnat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey again!

thanks so much for the advice! :rotfl:
    i didn't realise the projector would need to sit so close [would kind of impair vision wouldn't it??!!] don't worry though my parade loves to be rained on: better informed, organised, prepared, than sorry. degree show is like three weeks of building spaces, sanding, polyfilling, painting + setting up whatever crazy parade you've been thinking of, actually a whole load of fun that i'm sure could very easily turn into a nightmare. and thanks for the links i think i'm on the right track!

well i'll get back to you!
    goood night.
    Nat. :hiya:

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Sorry, hardly understood a word of that.......

6. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was it that Maurice Chevalier sang?

I bet Nathalie knows-hello Nathalie!..it is I -Leclaire!(Vince really.) :smashin: