I would like to go from my current 65" to a 75-77" TV & really need some advice & suggestions.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to go from my current 65" to a 75-77" TV & really need some advice & suggestions. Due to my budget though, I imagine it'll be a bit more realistic looking at 75-77" models.

I've finally managed to sit down and have a proper look at the guides fully, though it's a hell of a lot to take in, wow.

I'd hopefully be aiming to order one this week for delivery Friday/Saturday, but I do really need some help and advice first to make sure I make the correct purchase.

I have copied and pasted the guide questions here to help you help me find the best one to suit me:

What's your budget and size requirements?
My budget is £2000-2500, give or take £200 up or down. IF, a big if OLED is not too bad in that price range, it'd be fantastic, but LCD is fine with me. I would like to go up to a 75-77" from my current 65"

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?

• Apple TV 4k - Yes
  • Nvidia Shield 4k - Yes, mostly.
  • HD Blu-Ray Player? - Not often at all. Just now and then when someone brings a disc round.
  • Games console - Yes
    • Nintendo Switch.
  • A computer - Yes.
    • nVidia GTX 1070 gaming at @1080p resolution (Though will upgrade to an RTX 3070 or or 4070?, depending on whats about when I upgrade. Was going to be a 2070, but the chip shortage happened and all hell broke loose)
What content will you watch on the TV?
  • What streaming services do you plan to use?
  • (All HD or 4K, whatever's available)
    • Apple - My iTunes collection
    • Netflix Premium
    • Amazon Prime
    • Disney+
  • Catch up TV apps,
    • BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub.
  • Broadcast TV
    • None
SD30%
HD50%
UHD20%
  • DVDs - No
  • FHD Blu-Rays - No
  • UHD Blu-Rays - No
  • Gaming - Yes
    • Mainly HD between Nintendo Switch and PC @ 1080p
    • (Maybe moving into 4K territory when I upgrade the GPU)
  • What proportion of your total viewing will be content in SD, HD or UHD?
SD20%
HD60%
UHD20%
  • What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows0%
Broadcast Sport0%
Broadcast Movies0%
Streaming TV shows or Movies70%
DVDs0%
HD Blu-Rays0%
UHD Blu-Rays0%
Games30%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?
  • Broadcast TV - No
  • Streaming services - External
  • Catch up apps - External
Situational questions:
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? - My current tv is a SAMSUNG UE65NU7470 65" which I am very happy with and will be moving into the bedroom. I have decided that I'd like a larger screen for the lounge, 75-77". I'm very happy with the quality of my current tv, so mainly wanting that kind of quality with a bigger screen. The main upgrade I'd like is the size.
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person? - Set and forget.
  • What is your viewing distance? - 3.2m
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles). - I live alone and don't have company often, so it's mainly just me sitting directly opposite the middle of the screen. When I lie down and watch, the angle is approx 45 degrees, but this is mainly tv shows (I dont have a protractor)
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Bright conditions during the day. - Sometimes, especially in the summer. I'll have light coming through patio doors.
    • Dark conditions during the day. - Not often, maybe once a week, I have blackout curtains.
    • Dark movie nights in the evening. - Often.
    • Always use a lamp or light in the room, even in the evening. - Not always, but often. Just one lamp or just some fairy lights, not very bright. I never use the main light.
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? Please read: OLED Burn In Risk - Possibly according to the guide linked? I do play games for hours on end at a time, but no chance with channel logos/news tickers, etc...
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component? - No.
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air? Satellite.

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:
  1. Blacks - Value
  2. Cost
  3. Blacks
  4. Shadow Detail
  5. SDR Picture Quality
  6. HDR Picture Quality - I'm not too hung up on HDR as long as it looks 'natural'. I'm honestly not sure how much content I watch actually has HDR and everything looks fine to me on my current TV.
  7. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration) - I like to tweak a little to tune to my eye, then set and forget.
  8. Sound
  9. Smart TV ease of use
  10. Smart TV app selection
  11. Viewing angles
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
  1. Motion blur
  2. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
  3. Motion stutter
  4. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  5. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks.
  6. Raised blacks
  7. Reflective screens
  8. Colour banding.
  9. Slow smart TV
Any extra notes you'd like to add/questions not covered here?

Finding a TV:

Due to my budget, I imagine it'll be a bit more realistic looking at 75-77" models, I guess I'd be spending a little less and getting more value for money if I steer toward the 75-77" market in the 'Starter' to 'Semi Pro' models?

With most the OLED models though, it's been stated that there can be risk of burn in, which I would like to avoid, especially as I can spend 6-8hrs on the same game easily. Though I do have breaks from playing and the screensaver comes on, never have the tv that bright and never use 'vivid' image crap. Even after playing for hours, I'd watch a few episodes before I get to sleep and have the tv set so it turns off after 4 hours.

There is a large one in there, and this is different from my previous list, as I've read and learned a bit, but have found these:

LG OLED77A1
LG OLED77B1

Samsung 75Q80A
Samsung 85Q80A

Sony 75X95J

Of course I don't mind bigger, but my budget simply won't allow it.

Any advice would be recommended.

Finding a wall mount
After I get around to decorating, I'd likely want to wall mount whatever set I buy. The last tv I wall mounted was a 42", and I'm not sure what wall mounts would be good for a 75-86", so would like some suggestions.. I will get a professional of some sort to wall mount it for me.

If I think of anything else, and as I learn more I will add to this.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Any help, advice and recommendations would be appreciated 😊

At the larger sizes, LCD is better value than OLED: 65” is even stevens (ish), so 75/77/85” LCD will be the best value.

With a budget of £1.5k/£2k, I think you will struggle to get a good tv for that; main issue with cheap TVs is poor HDR, which is very hard to avoid; and you don’t want to, when done well it’s fab.

Have a read through this and see if any of the recommended models (LCD), look of interest and in budget.

Second hand could also be a very good option:

This was recently sold on here:

This one is a very good tv, so 2nd hand could be worth having a look at?

I’d like to buy new rather than second hand, and noticed that a fair few tvs have dropped in price a little, guessing that the newer models are due out soon.

I’ve noticed in that guide and looking around that the OLED sets are quite poor at this price range, and Ive just found a buyer for my 55”, so I can just about total up to £2.5k max..

My current 65” is this one:
SAMSUNG UE65NU7470 65"
I’ve been really happy with it quality wise, still am, which is why I’m keeping it to put in the bedroom, it is the first one I’ve own over 42” that I had for a number of years, and all the lcd panels I’ve seen look the same to me, oled do really jump out at me, but i have come to terms with oled is a luxery I can’t afford as most of them at 85” that are recommended are £3k+ Unless I drop down to 77”..

It’s such a minefield out there now, it used to be a case of picking silver or black and if it has a scart socket 🤣 the 77” lg oled I saw in curry’s was gorgeous.

Just to echo what's already been said. You're dipping too low in the quality department to get a large size TV. LCD TVs at 75" are much better value than 85", but even at 75" you already pay quite a premium.

I honestly would keep with what you have until you can afford a much better 85" model, upgrade to a 75" TV with better HDR capability now, or even go for a higher end 65.

As a reference, it's a good idea not to go lower than semi pro in my guide here:

I've finally managed to sit down and have a proper look at the guides fully, though it's a hell of a lot to take in, wow.

I'd hopefully be aiming to order one this week for delivery Friday/Saturday, but I do really need some help and advice first to make sure I make the correct purchase.

I have copied and pasted the guide questions here to help you help me find the best one to suit me :)

Just to echo what's already been said. You're dipping too low in the quality department to get a large size TV. LCD TVs at 75" are much better value than 85", but even at 75" you already pay quite a premium.

I honestly would keep with what you have until you can afford a much better 85" model, upgrade to a 75" TV with better HDR capability now, or even go for a higher end 65.

As a reference, it's a good idea not to go lower than semi pro in my guide here:

@Dodgexander I've fully read through your guides now and spent the past hour or so updating the first post with something a little more realistic. It looks like 75-77" would be best suited as I'd like a larger TV for the lounge, but I do need to try to stick to budget as £3K+ is certainly not in my price range, £2K would be ideal with all these price droppings I'm seeing, but can stretch to £2.5K. The main upgrade I'd like is the size.

The Samsung QE85QN85A is available here Samsung QE85QN85AA 85 for £2969 (other retailers are available!) and you can claim £500 cashback from Samsung as long as you buy by early April which brings it just in to budget. 6 year warranty too. Should be a quite reasonable HDR performer too.

The Samsung QE85QN85A is available here Samsung QE85QN85AA 85 for £2969 (other retailers are available!) and you can claim £500 cashback from Samsung as long as you buy by early April which brings it just in to budget. 6 year warranty too. Should be a quite reasonable HDR performer too.

Thank you matey, that’s a good deal! Are you able to recommend any 75-77” ones too?

I’m not too hung up on hdr, I’m not sure what has it and what doesn’t out of my viewing, I’m not even sure if I use it on my current tv, unless it’s automatic.

I had taken a look in curry’s, saw a great looking 77” lg, not sure what model it was though.

Due to budget, not sure if it’s be better and widely available to get a 75-77 instead, as if I could find a couple to choose from for around the £2k mark too, that’d help a lot. I don’t suppose I’ve helped myself with a initial budget of £1.5k. Just a fair amount of money to me as my main sim is to get as good as what I have, just a bigger screen.

I am tempted with that one, just undecided.. and like to have a choice of options.

HDR is automatic, it's something that engages whether you like it or not. So its a very crucial and defining factor when buying a TV.

If you have a plan in place to avoid it, or you watch no content that includes it then its not a big deal for you, but that's pretty hard nowadays unless you strictly watch Freeview and don't stream.

You also have to think about what you're buying into with a new TV. Why wouldn't you buy one that can do HDR properly if part of buying new technology is being able to enjoy the latest and greatest on offer? If you're buying a TV expecting everything to immediately look better, you're probably shopping for a TV for the wrong reasons.

If you want to keep costs low at least look at models in the starter section of the guide, although they have limitations, they are much better than cheaper TVs. In my opinion, also don't consider a TV with an IPS panel like the QN85A unless you have a particular need for a TV using this type of LCD display technology.

EDIT*
85" QN85A is not using IPS, instead VA. See here:

75" may still use IPS type panel (ADS)

@Dodgexander

Ah ok, I must have seen hdr on my current tv and not even noticed it then as I watch a lot of films on streaming services and my own collection on the Apple TV app and Apple TV 4K, though I’m thinking of ditching my Apple TV 4K now the app is on the nvidia shield as I tend to just use one device for all viewing.

I’m certainly not expecting anything to look better, I just want the same or similar quality as my 65” on a bigger screen on a new tv that’ll last me the next 5-6 years.

I’m not even sure what my current panel is, I think it’s an edge lit VA panel, and it’s just great for me, just want something bigger, originally 85”, but 75-77” would be great as well as there does seem to be better options for my budget, just looking around the £2K max mark mainly as I id rather go to 75” with better value than to lose too much with an 85” and I still get a reasonable size upgrade then too.

Are there any you can recommend out of those in the starter and semi pro for 75-77” that stand out a little?
If it’s at all possible I could stick to £2K or a little less that’d be fantastic.

Thank you.

If you have a relative with a school or university email address you can get a q94a for around 2000 through unidays and then claim 500 cashback too.

If you have a relative with a school or university email address you can get a q94a for around 2000 through unidays and then claim 500 cashback too.
This…

Is what I’ve just done with the 75” version (comes tomorrow)…. I have Samsung EPP on my work portal, bargain at £1500 after Samsung Cashback and £90 cashback from my portal on top.

Also I have the 65” version of the same TV already, so as you can see I’m very impressed (will move to master bedroom) and the 55” LG OLED UHD will move to my home office.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a student email, so that’s not something I can take advantage of.

There’s just so much that has changed over the years, I was rather excited when I saw an 85” tv for £1500:

…of course the first thing I do is come here and ask for advice before buying to see if it crops up, and of course I end up needing to extend my budget due to a lack in quality.

I don’t want ‘the best’ just the best value for the money within a budget which started at £1500.. but slowly crept upward.

I’m quite torn between oled and lcd now they are both ‘doable’ but am I paying a thousand premium if I go for oled or would I get a half decent tv for less? It’s all so confusing now.

Of course I do need a bit of quality and something that will last 5-6+ years.

The majority of things I watch are hd or 4K, and im of the belief that hdr is still in its infancy at the moment, so not sure.

I’m happy to make the purchase on your behalf using my discount (unfortunately perks at working sharing is down for upgrade atm so can’t give you a friends and family account)… So you’d need to send me the £2099 and trust I’d give you the £500 cashback when received. Upto you bud

I’m happy to make the purchase on your behalf using my discount (unfortunately perks at working sharing is down for upgrade atm so can’t give you a friends and family account)… So you’d need to send me the £2099 and trust I’d give you the £500 cashback when received. Upto you bud

I’d rather make the purchase myself, but thank you for the offer 😊

The majority of content in 4k is also in HDR. Why buy a new TV if you aren't buying one with good HDR?

That's like buying a new sports car that doesn't drive good.

A starter HDR TV in the guide is your best bet, even if budget means going for a smaller TV.

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a student email, so that’s not something I can take advantage of.

There’s just so much that has changed over the years, I was rather excited when I saw an 85” tv for £1500:

…of course the first thing I do is come here and ask for advice before buying to see if it crops up, and of course I end up needing to extend my budget due to a lack in quality.

I don’t want ‘the best’ just the best value for the money within a budget which started at £1500.. but slowly crept upward.

I’m quite torn between oled and lcd now they are both ‘doable’ but am I paying a thousand premium if I go for oled or would I get a half decent tv for less? It’s all so confusing now.

Of course I do need a bit of quality and something that will last 5-6+ years.

The majority of things I watch are hd or 4K, and im of the belief that hdr is still in its infancy at the moment, so not sure.
You can buy a cheap 75/85” tv, and it might be ok for you and your uses; issue is that it will be poor at HDR and I would expect it won’t last the test of time, esp not in techie terms.

A lot of this is to do with expectations: I bought a very cheap hisense tv for a friend, and he loved it. But his expectations were very low, and it was only 55”. The size difference between 65”-85” is considerable, and I would expect any cheap TVs to have many issues as a result.

Over the next few months 2021 TVs will get to their cheapest: large TVs tend not to get much discount, but that could be your best chance : refine your choices to a few and setup a price alert.

The majority of content in 4k is also in HDR. Why buy a new TV if you aren't buying one with good HDR?

That's like buying a new sports car that doesn't drive good.

A starter HDR TV in the guide is your best bet, even if budget means going for a smaller TV.

That makes sense, I just looked through my films on iTunes and quite a majority of them are 4K HDR, I never even noticed any difference if I'm honest.

I do have a bit of money coming in as I'm selling a lot at the moment, so I guess the best thing to do is raise the budget to £2500, give or take a couple hundred and get the best (for me) that I can with that.

I'd certainly not like to go any smaller than 75-77" as the size is where I'd like the upgrade to be, I would like 85", but understand with that budget that I'd lose too much quality in the size trade off. I'd like to retain the quality that I have on my current Samsung UE65NU7470 65" that's moving into the bedroom as I do really like that tv.

You can buy a cheap 75/85” tv, and it might be ok for you and your uses; issue is that it will be poor at HDR and I would expect it won’t last the test of time, esp not in techie terms.

A lot of this is to do with expectations: I bought a very cheap hisense tv for a friend, and he loved it. But his expectations were very low, and it was only 55”. The size difference between 65”-85” is considerable, and I would expect any cheap TVs to have many issues as a result.

Over the next few months 2021 TVs will get to their cheapest: large TVs tend not to get much discount, but that could be your best chance : refine your choices to a few and setup a price alert.

What would 'cheap' be these days? As these tv's run into thousands or even tens of thousands of pounds from what I have seen at these sizes. I understand you get what you pay for, but I'm not someone who can afford to spend out £3-5K on a tv... sadly.

The only expectations I have really are that it works with my equipment, has a good picture and will last 5-6 years, hopefully without issue, preferably more, with no image retention or screen burn.

I have been keeping an eye on prices, and these ones 75+ in size have come down to consumer level of pricing pretty nicely. I'd imagine they'll eventually get to 100" or more.. though many wouldn't have the space big enough for that... the tech has moved pretty rapidly since years ago.

I did consider a 4K ultra short throw laser projector route, as that used to be the best and cheapest way to get a cinema type experience, something like this:
but to have it on 6-8hrs per day/night, sometimes more and factoring in a screen with a start price of £2K didn't seem a logical step. Not simple, and again, I imagine I'd have to spend more in order to get a decent one. I did have a 1080p BenQ 3D projector for years, but sold that and my projector to get my current 65", as just a tv in the room is just simpler than both for me as I switch between tv shows, movies and games.

75” QN94a has dropped to £1874 on EPP…. Making it £1374 after Samsung cashback… bargain, got my order changed for it.

77" LG C1 OLED here for just over £2.5k with 5 yr warranty a gamers tv just a slight reservation regards screen burn but that can be an issue with all OLED.

I have a 65" Panny GZ950 OLED 2 yrs old and done 8k hours, most days have 2-3 hrs BBC 24 and no screen burn showing at this stage. The OLED image is stunning and blacks are just unbelievable compared to LED tv IMV.

I am looking out for a 77" OLED now for my a/v room with a £2.5k budget and it's this set or the Sony 77 AJ80 which is around £2800. I will probably go for the Sony myself as not a gamer it's for movies in 4k & 1080p on bluray and mainly 4k Netflix and Prime streamed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom