I would appreciate any comments on this build.

No1retired

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've planned numerous builds on paper in the past but have always waited for prices to drop or the next big thing (The last one was a Q6600 build). I think now is the time to finally complete my first build.

I'm on a bit of a budget, so looking for something cheaper now but easily upgradable. I reckon get a good case, PSU and Motherboard now and snap up an i5/i7, better graphics card and RAM when they drop in price or when I've got more cash.

It will be mostly a games machine but am happy to play on med settings until I get a better graphics card (or SLI).

I'd welcome any comments or recomendations. I reckon it's a not too shabby base for future upgrades. Total spend circa £430.

So far I have:
Processor
Intel Core i3 - 530 - £95

Cooling
Titan Fenrir TTC - NK85TZ - £30

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 - £85
(I would like an Asus P6TD Deluxe, but too expensive)
Video Card
Geforce GTS 250 - £54

Case
Antec Nine Hundred two - £91

Power Supply

Antec - TruePower New TP - 650 - £77

I already have an optical drive, some crappy RAM and hard disk. I'll make do with these for a couple of months.

I hope your "crappy RAM" is DDR3 because that is the only type the motherboard can take.

Also, the motherboard is a mATX - small!

I hope your "crappy RAM" is DDR3 because that is the only type the motherboard can take.

Look's like I'm getting new RAM then :facepalm:

Also, the motherboard is a mATX - small!

I didn't think the size would be an issue unless you go for SLI. TBH my knowledge of motherboards isn't great. I seem to go in circles when trying to choose on. I take it there aren't any decent motherboards that support 1156 and 1366?

If you are taking the i3 route then the motherboard socket type required is 1156. The i7 920 processor would be socket type 1366.

The mATX motherboard you have chosen is a good one. However, the small size of the board means care is needed in choosing the right CPU cooler and video board.

Some CPU coolers take up a lot of space and might snag slot 1 RAM module and any of the boards that fit in the mATX motherboard slots (like a large video board or a sound board).

Having said that, many people are very happy with the smaller motherboards. It's just that due to lack of space more care needs to be taken with mATX than with the larger ATX motherboards.

id say drop the case down a notch or 2 to a better price and spend that extra money on gettin a full atx motherboard or as an alternative you can go for this full atx mobo thats cheaper

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

the antec 300 is a crackin little case with amazing airflow i used to have one myself till i upgraded to a case with black internals

Antec 300

Antec 300 Three Hundred Case - Ebuyer

Coolermaster CM690

Coolermaster CM690 Dominator Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU - Ebuyer

as your question about 1156 and 1366 there are no motherboards like that as they are completely different sockets but the 1156 is a good base to start from cause u can upgrade to the i5 then in the future go for the speedier i7 860/870 lynnfield architecture (faster than the i7 920's bloomfield) so it gives you more future proofness

what ram do you have? cause u might need to adjust your budget for a set of DDR3

looks good to me, if you don't mind me asking where are you getting a gts 250 for £54?:eek:

id say drop the case down a notch or 2 to a better price and spend that extra money on gettin a full atx motherboard or as an alternative you can go for this full atx mobo thats cheaper

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

the antec 300 is a crackin little case with amazing airflow i used to have one myself till i upgraded to a case with black internals

Antec 300

Antec 300 Three Hundred Case - Ebuyer

Thanks for the info. I'll go for the bigger board. I'm not sure about the case though, I'm happy to spend the extra money on the 902 as it will last for ages.

I'll need to buy some DDR3 (probably 2x2Gb). I haven't looked into which though.

yeah that should be a great case but remember its pretty damn big, like u i change my case all the time ive had 4 cases in less than 12 months and im thinkin about changing this one to a haf 932 as watercooling is gonna be on the cards in a few months time once the second rigs built

remember DDR3's gonna end up costing you about £100 for 4gb its not so cheap now :thumbsdow

yeah that should be a great case but remember its pretty damn big, like u i change my case all the time ive had 4 cases in less than 12 months and im thinkin about changing this one to a haf 932 as watercooling is gonna be on the cards in a few months time once the second rigs built

remember DDR3's gonna end up costing you about £100 for 4gb its not so cheap now :thumbsdow
Neither is DDR2:rotfl:

If you happy to wait for a decent GPU then save the the £54 on the GTS 250 because the i3 has a built in GPU which is good enough for basic 3D graphics...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom