I-works or Office 11

Nick.M.G.

Standard Member
Reaction score
Simple, getting a new MacBook Pro and want to know what people would recommend I get installed.

Have always used Office at work so I am familiar with it but one reason for getting a Mac was to get away from all things Microsoft.

At the moment I would only be using it for basic word processing and the occasional spreadsheet.

I did notice that most of the Macbooks I saw in the shops did have Office installed.
Thanks

Office for Mac is the same as Office for PC except the menus are differnt etc.

iWorks is good but only really for Mac to Mac stuff. If you plan on using the same document both PC and Mac I would say go for Office.

I have both but due to 99% of people I send files to use Office I no longer use iWorks.

Also Excel seems easier and more powerful to me then Numbers.

office 2008 sucked but the new 2011 version rocks!! As 2008 was not really made for Intel Macs bootup was slooooooow. Now 2011 boots up instantly (especially with my new SDD as the boot / Applications drive)

despite what you may think of Microsoft, for office productivity software, they are still king and I actually much prefer their suite. My needs are a bit more demanding, as i need a stable office programme to type up 10,000 word dissertations or manage large excel sheets plus the lack of autosave in iWork (no matter how incredibly stable OS X is) disturbs me. With Office for Mac, you can be guaranteed that when you send something over to a Windows machine, it will come out the right way. With open office and neo office, they are pretty much 98% compatible but when I used it, often little things would not come out right.

My vote is for office for mac :thumbsup:

thanks for all the replys, Office it is then. Cannot wait to get my MacBook Pro

I have both on my MacBook Pro, but I use office 2011 more as I use office at work.

Got both. Don't use iWorks. Wouldn't be without MS Office software. Simple :smashin:

I'm in this boat too, cheers for the thread-link. Was leaning towards Office myself too, but it's a no-brainer at under £40 via that Software4Students site. Just need to go pester people on my Facebook now!

as per title...... man what an improvement. office 2008 was a pile of junk when compared to 2011. the new one is not only faster and much less buggy but also more closely alinged in terms of look, feel and funcationality to the windows equivalent (2010). The 2008 version seem to be a poor mans version of office 2007 for the pc.

the biggest bonus IMO is the addtion of outlook to the mac office suite. i have been waiting for a mac port of this for ages and i have not been dissapointed. its great.

thumbs up for office 2011

I am really disappointed that outlook doesn't sync with gmail exchange though, mail/iCal have no problem with this!

May be being dumb here, but how do these links help, I use nhs.net mail via exchange server fro work, and have google exchange to push email and calendars to my mac/iphone for home, google apps doesnt help me as far as I can see.
(Outlook wont sync with nhs.net either as far as I can see)

No idea - I don't use MS Outlook. But I thought I'd try and be helpful and find some links to sync Outlook with Google Exchange, based on the info you initally gave, in case you hadn't seen them.

My apologies

No idea - I don't use MS Outlook. But I thought I'd try and be helpful and find some links to sync Outlook with Google Exchange, based on the info you initally gave, in case you hadn't seen them.

My apologies

No apology necessary, just hoped I was missing something as I would like to use outlook but it currently doesn't fit into my way of working, shame.

I am really disappointed that outlook doesn't sync with gmail exchange though, mail/iCal have no problem with this!

Agreed. this is a bit of a flaw/oversight. Lets hope google or ms bring out a fix or update soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom