I Working/living in MIlton Keynes, Opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blasted, Apr 24, 2009.

1. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I’ve just been told that my job and those of another couple of thousand people will be moving to Milton Keynes in about 2 year’s time. I would like to know other peoples opinions about the area, prospects, commuting and if you have done a similar thing yourself.

My own circumstances are. I currently live in the east midlands. I own a three bed detached house and I’m near my family and friends. I don’t have a wife, partner or children and am coming to the end of a BEng degree in civil engineering, my background is mechanical engineering, but I want to build things out of concrete. I’m 33 years old.

A lot of people are not going to be moving to Milton Keynes, which means a lot of job opportunities; this also means a chance of being able to move into a civil engineering/project management department. If I’m prepared to move I could change job, which would allow me to continue study, possibly for a masters and onto Chartership.

I don’t think I would be able to afford a detached house in Milton Keynes, I’m not looking for size, I just prefer not to be bolted to my neighbours. If this the case; are there areas where I could get a cheap detached? I don’t like the idea of buying a flat.

I have been looking at possible commuting distances. Rugby for example is commutable by train and the houses are cheaper. I get the impression Milton Keynes is a bit cold. As I don’t have family there or friends and I feel it would be a pretty lonely experience.

The way I see it, if I am prepared to move house, I could progress my career. I could move to a quiet country village near a train station and commute in (I like living in the country side). I would only be about and hour and half from my old area. I could even like it and make some new friends. The downside is that I would have to give up my house which I really like; I spent a lot of time and money getting it nice.

So, what are your thoughts or opinions?

Regards

Blasted

2. Grrrrrowler

Grrrrrowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My brother lives in Mk and loves it. Plenty to do, good nightlife, shopping, leisure facilities, connections to London etc etc.

If, like me, you prefer living in the sticks there are some lovely villages just a few minutes away.

And house prices aren't as bad as you might think...

If you're prepared to move and it's good for your career then go for it.

MK is much maligned but like anywhere it has good and bad points.

Ultimately it's what you make it and there are far worse places to live...

3. ivor61

ivor61
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do you drive ? if you do then Northampton and surrounding areas are only half hour away there are some nice villages and small towns in the area. Milton keynes is ok but as you said it can be a cold place if you are on your own.

4. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,749
    There are a couple of members on here who live in MK, including myself.

Personally I think it's an okay place to live, it's easy to travel around even in rush hour - depending where you're living and working.

Housing wise it depends on the budget and where you're willing to live, there are some "lesser desirable" estates in MK where housing is cheaper, personally there are 4/5 which I would not like to live in myself.
    It also depends where you work in MK as to where might be best to live, I live in a small village outside Milton Keynes where it's quiet but I can still get to work in 10 minutes and to the shopping centre in 15.

Nightlife is good if you enjoy bars/clubs etc, I generally don't go for that these days. But there are pubs in the estates and villages etc, quite a few good ones around that do wonderful food too.

Agree that MK is a bit cold, it keeps itself to itself generally, but you would be able to make friends with neighbours/work mates etc. But that is quite a common thing in any large town or city, is it not?

I find village life is better if you want a bit of social interaction as villages generally offer that more.

As mentioned Northampton is quite close and has trains to MK as does Aylesbury and there are some nice surrounding areas around Aylesbury.
    But living in MK it is best to have a car, that's my view, the bus service around the main areas of MK is fine, but if you plan on living in an outter village, you need a car really, where I am is 1 bus every hour that stops at another village before heading to the train station then to the shopping centre and off on its way to Bletchley from there. My 10 minute drive to work on a bus would take me about an hour with time waiting for the busses etc.

2 cinemas in the centre, the snow dome, good shopping centre, plenty of variation in supermarkets, all the big names have a store about, MK Dons football team + stadium, there's a lot to do, just depends what you want.

I don't think MK is as bad as most people make it out to be.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,748
    I've lived here since 2003 so I'm not a native either. For the most part I have been working in London- I only stopped in 2008- so I've not spent all my time here.

For

You can buy almost anything you'd reasonably want locally.
    Transport links are very good
    The surrounding countryside is nice- do check out the oddly named but lovely village of Yardley Gobion as one of the prettiest places in the UK.
    The facilities are pretty good
    The Council in all credit are good. Council tax is high but bins are collected weekly, recycling is good and the roads are at least partially maintained.
    House prices are just about sensible.

Against

Everything- shops, bars, resturants, clubs- is a chain. I've likened it in the past to living in a giant Airport departure lounge.
    Walking anywhere can be a challenge.
    As the station is west coast mainline, it gets dug up alot and is expensive.
    It isn't great for a sense of community- like me, a huge number of people move here rather than get born and bred here. I don't anticipate dying here, let's put it like that.

6. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for the replies,

I do own a car, so rail is not the only form of transport I could use, I suggested it as the west coast mainline runs that way and our new offices are being built next to the station, plus I should get a decent discount on a season ticket. I’m used to having countryside around me; I’m currently 40 minutes from the centre of the peak district. I like having the towns and amenities near by, but prefer to live in a community with a local pub type set up. I think if I can get over having to downsize in property and move an hour away from friends and family the career prospects are very good.

Keep them coming, all opinions are greatly received.