1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was wondering If anyone could Help...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by UncleTimmy, Mar 17, 2002.

1. UncleTimmy

UncleTimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys First Post. Must be an AV virgin or something....

Um... Here goes...
    I just bought a Sherwood r925 RDS Receiver. But I don 't have the remote, or the instruction manual. [Apparently It was lost in the shop when they took the stock out of the boxes; But they gave me 370 off]. Anyway. I was wondering how to work the Tuner... Or even better If Anyone knows where I can get an instruction manual on the net. Sherwoods Sight seemed pretty useless. I was also Wondering about learning Remote controls:

Do you need to own the original remote control inorder to use them?

Are they fully customisable? ie; Can I set one up (I'm looking at a cambridge audio M1 I think) to do any function or will it only cope with altering the volume?

So... I was wondering if anyone could help clear a few of my little problems. I probably sound pretty stupid huh?

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're going to need the original remote to use a learning universal remote, unless you can get relevant codes. The learning remotes use learning eyes to copy the signal sent by the original remotes, so they firstly need to 'experience' the original remote in action.

Try contacting Sherwoods directly, explain your situation and see if they can supply you with what you're missing. It might come with a price tag though. Or try mithering the store to chase it up.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You should note that remotes are crucial for AV amps, not all settings can be done at the amp itself, i.e. are only accessible via the remote. Not a good deal then afterall ... :(

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    pointon,

Is that a Staffordshire word ?

5. UncleTimmy

UncleTimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys. I suppose I should probably contact Sherwood.

I thought That learning remotes did that but I was wondering if there was anything which didn't need the old remote. I'm reasonably happy for now with the functionality of the amp. And it's only "budget" [Ha. My entire overdraft :D ]so I doubt I'm missing too much from not having the remote.

I don't suppose anyone also knows how to work the Damn RDS radio. I cn't find anything on the net instruction wise.

Thanks for the help By the way.

6. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Some learning remotes have a future proof feature where the commands for new kit can be downloaded over the phone. So in theory all you need to do is ring em up and tell them what the amp is and if they have the codes then they'll play the tones down the telephone line to you. Some one for all remotes do this.

-Neil

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Er... it was just the first word that came to me. Not the best choice in hindsight.

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PUBLIC WARNING TO TIMMY.

There's only one Uncle on these forums. You've got untill sundown to leave town.

Welcome to the forums

Eric