I was contemplating an upgrade...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by giggsy1950, Aug 26, 2018.

1. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hello all! I was contemplating a (second hand) upgrade from my Denon 1910 AVR (powering Quad Lite speakers 5.1) to get a bit more power until I upgrade to a new model with Atmos and other features. I looked around and noticed some of last years stock isn't much more than I was looking to spend (after I upped my budget a little) so the Denon 4400 appeared on my list. However, given I currently have a plasma screen and my next television upgrade is likely to be an OLED in a few years, it occurred to me that the new screen could well be HDMI 2.1 and that the receiver would not be able to deal with this as it is only HDMI 2.0. Am I correct in this assumption? If so I guess I'm better hanging on for a couple of years? Which would be disappointing but more sensible? Am I right? Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,518
    Well the 4400 is getting an upgrade to E arc this year which is part of the new 2.1 specs which would cover the sound aspect of 2.1

3. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I wouldn't be able to pass video through it though sadly and I do like having a neat setup with only one cable going to my screen. I know there isn't going to be a lot of content to take advantage of hdmi 2.1 for some time but I would rather be up-to-date than have to buy again a few years down the line. I would like another amp though...! :confused:

4. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for your input though Wezzy! :smashin:

5. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,518
    Why wouldn't you be able to pass video ?

6. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm assuming that whatever media I am playing, be it Sky, blu-ray or a media player (all using 2.1 - a couple of years off?) of some sort, if it's at the higher frame rate, or whatever picture quality improvements HDMI 2.1 brings, that the pictures would not be able to pass through the chipset/hdmi ports in a Denon 4400 to my (yet to be purchased screen) which would be 2.1?

7. wezzywebb

wezzywebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,518
    I have seen nothing to suggest that the 4400 will not be compatible with any planned HFR material

8. giggsy1950

giggsy1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Have you seen something that says it will be?! :)
    My concern is that if I have a blu-ray player with a 2.1 hdmi port and a screen with a 2.1 hdmi port, that the Denon with 2.0 won't be compatible. Or have I got it wrong/mis-understood? Thanks for taking the time to reply by the way - much appreciated. :smashin: