1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was blind but now I can see!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jon stallard, Jun 26, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever had one of those weekends when everything goes right?

I've dripped and whinged about MCE for a couple of months now but it was all my own fault. EPG to me was a nightmare, yet all along, I had the answers from a reply from Duncan about how to set the channels up properly, I just hadn't bothered to print it out and sit down with it. I'd ended up with near on 200 channels after various misguided attempts to find channels from more transmitters than you can shake a stick at. Now, the EPG is in fact, bloody awesome.

The other issue I had was trying to connect it up to a CRT. I just don't think it's worth the bother in MCE. I bought myself a cheapie 32" LCD set with DVI and by god, the pictures are stunning (and it's not even Hi Def material).

I even finally figured out that by downloading an on screen keyboard, you don't have to have a proper keyboard lying around for the odd inputting (although it wont work in the MCE environment but that's minor). I use a tracker ball for any mouse use and the Microsoft remote is probably the best I've ever used (and like many of us, I have a collection well into double figures to compare it with).

As if to finally show that I have the favour of the computing gods, I uninstalled my twinhan TV card drivers, removed the card, installed the black gold BDA drivers, installed the black gold card and ...... it just worked (well I had to go through the TV channel set up again but that didn't matter or take very long). The Twinhan ones were OK but the black gold is better. I'm not sure if the shimmering pixels around a moving object (you do need to get up close to see it) are called artifacts but there was definately a lot less of them with the black gold card.

And I get my music juke box back which I'd always loved, even when I hated MCE.

So the whole point of this is that with the help of this forum, common sense and a few sacrifices to the computer god, to any newbies struggling with new PC's it is worth it in the end. The concept is sound, it's just the horrible learning curve you have to go through (if you are unlucky) to get there in the end.

As a fitting finale to my efforts, I downloaded a few of those Hi def trailers. Bloody hell. It's like someone has degreased your eyeballs!

Cheers,
    Jon.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    :thumbsup: Happy for you..

lisa
    :)

P.S. XP has an on screen keyboard (accessibility)

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny isn't it but there you are sat 15 feet or so away from the TV, reaching for the binoculars to view what the latest error message say's, when all the bits and tools you need to view it comfortably are there under accessability options.

I still keep the binoculars handy though, just in case :)

Jon.