i want windows media center on my pc/laptop.

callumfitz2000

Standard Member
i would like to know isit possible to just go down to my local pc shop and buy windows media center and install it in my pc or laptop even though they are not media center pc or laptop? do i need any other hardware or anything else?

thanks!

HiZ

It will install OK but depends what you want to use it for. Its just XP with an extra add-on (MCE).

If you want to watch DVD you will need a DVD decoder programm such as NVidia PureVideo, WinDVD etc - this doesn't come with XP MCE.

You then enter problems with non-compatible video cards. Everything else shouldn't give you too much of a problem.

If you want to watch Freeview you will need a DVB-T card such as BlackGold or Happauge etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/directory.mspx

originalbadboy

In simple terms you will need:

A copy of MCE - You can get the OEM version from various places on the net. The usual sellers should stock MCE, incliding buyer & overclockers (I think)

An MCE Remote - Not absolutely nessecary, but a good idea, again these can be bought from the usual online sellers.

A newish graphics card - anything from the last 2 years or so should be fine.

A Decoder addon - As above, Cyberlink, WinDVD or Purevideo, I would personally go with PureVideo, this can be ordered online direct from NVidia.

A Capture card - Again , as Above, The Hauppage ones tend to be the best in my expereince.

Be aware though you cannot just 'install' MCE as an addon to XP, (well you can, but its very complicated), you will need to reinstall the OS from scratch, so make sure you are comfortable with doing that.

HiZ

callumfitz2000, give us more of a clue of what you are trying to acheive with it. If you don't want any tv features then it may be a wast of cash, the other features are great such as photo's and my music but i wouldn't buy it just for them.

Also, what display are you connecting to, will it sit in the lounge, if so as standard most PC's are quite noisy. et etc

Has anyone ever used an OEM install. I was thinking of getting this as I have now had enough of my pro install and want media center as I now have an xbox 360 and having major problems with my current install.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom