1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want TOM TOM on my XDA2S what do I need ??

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by newstuart, Feb 7, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Just got a XDA2S and I want sat nav. Is tom tom the one to go for ? I am relativly new to this so am unsure exactly what i need ( im guessing a memory card,software,reciever & a bracket to hold the XDA in the car) is there anything else ?

Where is the cheapest place to obtain everything?
    Does any GPS reciever work or do i need something specific ?

Im not to worried if it works on bluetooth,would rather it did but money is a issue at the moment so the cheapest option is probally the most apealing

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    thanks guys, with regards to memory, do i need a card for the maps ?

4. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    also would anyone be kind enough to point me in direction where i can download software as i cant find it

5. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    I use a standard in-car GPS receiver with mine, works a treat and it charges you battery at the same time, picked it up for £60 inc. cables and mount off Ebay.

Only used TomTom2 but had no problems at all, also recommend the checkpoint software for detecting speed cameras as well.

pick up a 1Gb SD card from www.aria.co.uk for about £45
    I've got all UK maps and about 12 music albums squeezed onto mine

7. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    sounds intresting, where did you get the software from ? was the reciever bluetooth ?

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    sent you an EM with details

9. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, can you PM me with the same info please.
    Andy

10. Ms2hot2touch

Ms2hot2touch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got an upgrade from 02 for a XDA2s (looks like they are giving them away), Im still awaiting for it to arrive.

I chose it because I have a Samsung D500 which is a great phone but I was infomed of the Sat Nav - is that function accurate/reliable?, I heard that the TomTom3 Bluetooth is £270!, is that about right or can I purchase it cheeper? I also have a Rd Angel, dose anyone know if the software for the XDA is just as good...... that way I can sell my Rd Angel.

Some feedback would be great!

11. Yelpir

Yelpir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Just ordered myMDA III ( T-mobile branding on the XDA IIs ). I also want to go the GPS route, I'm looking at the hardware suggested on ebay, could anyone drop me any pointers on the software ?

Any other adivce also welcome, never used GPS befroe so this will be a learning exercise for me.

Thanks

Yelpir.

12. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomtom is very good

13. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi guys,

I know this thread is a little old now but I was wondering how you guys got on? I've just got an XDA IIi and have got the Tom Tom 3 software but have yet to acquire any of the hardware. I got the 1gb SD card from Aria as suggested.

I want a legal hands free car kit and GPS. I'm pretty confused by what I've read though so be gentle with me. :)

a) Are we saying the troubles with XDA IIi running two bluetooth devices is fixed now? Or there is at least a workaround (using older bluetooth drivers or something)?

b) It seems people tend go for bluetooth GPS devices but doesn't this mean you need to keep changing batteries? I don't suppose there is a wired/bluetooth GPS reciever? That could be powered by the cigarette lighter, XDA cradle or whatever but also could unplug for when you want to take it walkies?

c) Is this the sort of thing most of you guys go for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=69928&item=5175191113&rd=1

d) On the hands free phone kit side of things, how do the bluetooth ones work? Can you have a bluetooth handsfree kit that comes with a proper fitted mike and speaker (like old handsfree kits) or are they all earpiece thingies? Are the earpiece thingies legal, I always thought having something stuck in your ear whilst you were driving was a bad idea.

Any other pointers? :confused:

14. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Andy,

I use a wired GPS receiver and have never bothered with Bluetooth for either TomTom or using the phone when driving so can't speak from experience although I've seen many posts here http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php about XDA issues with Bluetooth, although from what I've read the latest BT stack (3900) seems to resolve a lot of them.

I just have a vent mounted cradle in the car with my XDAIIs plugged in to a wired GPS receiver and it works a treat (paid about £60 for the pair of Ebay) then when I get a call in the car just hold the answer button down for about 3 seconds it turns the loudspeaker on (have to shout a bit but it works for me!)

15. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for that Uridium, with luck my GPS receiver should turn up today. Still post being what it is... ;)

I noticed in another thread you mentioned the latest XDA firmware was on the my-xda site, I've had a look around there but I can see any kind of support/downloads area, is it tucked out of the way somewhere?

16. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Link here http://www.my-xda.com/xda2s_soft.html

Think all IIs's shipped from March onwards have this anyway. (tells you the ROM version in settings\device settings i think)

My tip though is after doing the hard reset (either after the ROM upgrade or any hard reset) after you do the screen alignment stuff it will ask you if you want to do a personal or Corporate install, choose Corporate option and it will ask you for a code: enter 0506.

This will then do a clean install of WM2003SE without all the O2 Active crap (still configures the GPRS settings though). I've been running the new ROM with the corporate install now for about 3 weeks and haven't even needed to do a soft reset.