I want to use S-Video Cable - but no S-Video input...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DragonQ, May 27, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just played Perfect Dark on the N64, and I cannot stand the Composite signal! It's so awful now that I'm used to the RGB Scart Cable I use for my Gamecube!

Unfortuantely, N64s don't have RGB Out enabled, and this cannot be enabled even through modding on PAL N64s. So, I thought the next best thing would be S-Video, but my TV has no S-Video inputs... :(

I could by Composite/S-Video -> Scart Adapter but I'm unsure if this would work...would it give me a better picture, or would it just use a Composite signal through the S-Video cable? If I can't get S-Video through the Scart adapter, is there any way I can? With a S-Video -> RGB Scart converter box or something?

Thanks for any help..

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

3. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

You need to find out if your TV can accept s-video on the SCART input. If it can, you then need to find out if the adapter keeps the s-video components separate, which isn't clear from the website. Some of these adapters just mix the 2 s-video components together and output them on the composite pin.

If your TV SCART does accept s-video then Keene Electronics http://www.keene-electronics.co.uk/ do a lead KLD15R which should do the job. They specifically state that the SCART is wired for s-video.

Bill

5. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of clarification on scart adapters:-

Scart adapters with an s-video socket do keep the luma and chroma components separate.

The scart you plug the scart adapter into MUST accept s-video else you will only see the luma component (shares composite pin of scart) and the picture will be black and white.

A scart adapter that claims to give colour on a non-s-video scart does nothing more than convert the signal back to composite, no gain in resolution. This conversion is done by capacitivly coupling the luma and chroma signals, eg solder a 470pF capacitor across them.

Andy.

6. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I use the adapter I have on my TV, and I get a colour signal, then I can assume it accepts S-Video inputs? If it's in B&W, it doesn't?

I can't really check my TV's Specs since it's so old and I cannot find the manufacturer's website...