1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to use laptop as remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by gileso, Mar 4, 2003.

1. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found an old mini-laptop recently. Runs Win98. Has IR port and 2x USB ports. Small enough to sit on arm of chair.

I was wondering if anyone had configured a PC/laptop to act as a universal remote? Some slick software to enable creation of virtual buttons & macros would be useful. Presumably it would have to 'learn' appropriate appliance codes (as there would be no installed codes).

Or would one of the Pronto / Marantz emulators do the job?

Ant help appreciated

2. parekhk

parekhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Come lads there must be something around...

I'm running XP on my laptop.

3. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have a go with the pronto edit software from www.remotecentral.com - I don't know whether a. the IR would be powerful enough - and b. if you could use one of the cf IR extenders with a PCMCIA converter in your pc card slots. The best bet would be to have a go.

Just download prontoedit and a ccf file that matches at least one bit of kit and if it works then go for it.

<hatching plan>I'd be interested in hearing your results</hatching plan>

Gaz
    -x-

4. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the thing...

Downloaded ProntoEdit (which contains something called Pronto Emulator). Downloaded a CCF for my Arcam CD player. Loaded it into ProntoEdit and started the Emulator.

Great - picture of Pronto on screen, with all buttons present and correct. Clicking on one of the pseudo buttons gets an IR-sender icon flash at the top of the Emulator, but nothing from the laptop IR-port.

You can 'test the IR' through one of the setup screens, but only via the COM port connected to your Pronto (as this is designed to update your Pronto, not to replace it).

I can't get the program to use the IR device as a direct IR sender (or even set it as a dummy COM port to try and fool it into using it).

Nearly there...

Anyone got any other ideas?

5. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    As far as I know you can't use the built-in IrDa port, definitely not with ProntoEdit. That's purely for use with the Pronto remote and you will only get IR out of it with a Pronto actually connected via its programming cable into a COM port.

Check out NetRemote
    and Girder which might be a bit more up your street. For the idea to work, you need to get an IR (not IrDa) emitter. The IRMan is supported by Girder (I think, you'll have to check the docs) and there are various other IR-PC addons (S-Linke, RedRat2 etc).

You might also want to have a look at MainLobby.

There that should keep you busy - feel free to ask more questions once you've read up on all that lot! :lesson:

6. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i'm right in what you are thinking, in that you want to use the laptops infrared port directly, then it won't work as the PC's IRDA port is not the same IR technology as used in a remote control. They are incompatible.

One option you may have is to use an external IR sending device.

I do not know of anywhere you can get these at the moment, but evation may soon be producing one, info here

http://www.evation.com/tirco/index.html

7. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm...I'm probably wrong (happens alot) but isn't the standard ir port on my ipaq 3630 an irda port - if so then that controls the majority of my devices without any difficulty. I'm aware that the difference in range between irda and 'consumer ir' is vast - hence my using an ir extender but without the extender I can still control my AVR100, TV, VCR, DVD and cd player.

Do you think mapping the ir output from an ipaq emulator (such as included with the windows ce development kit) to the laptop irda out would be possible?

Gaz
    -x-

8. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477