1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to throw my AE-100 far away!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by skimber, Feb 14, 2002.

1. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my AE100 set up on the coffee table at the moment, but i would like to put it on a tripod behind the sofa so i can keep it set up all the time.

Trouble is that at that distance the image is too big for the screen :(

Are there any replacement lenses, from Panasonic themselves or third parties, or any other devices, that can increase the throw distance?

Cheers

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,530
    Simon, if you're looking to permanently install your projector, don't bother with a tripod which can be bumped or knocked over. Why not bolt your projector to the ceiling? Surely no more visible than behind the sofa. And you can locate it at the right distance.

3. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart, a few reasons....

Cables... with a tripod they can be discretely run round the edge of the room, with a ceiling mount they would have to hang down or go up through the ceiling and back down somewhere, which would mean some re-decorating or ugly plastic trunking in the corner... Also i want to be able to experiment with different types of source, HCPC, progressive, component etc... without having to run every possible type of cable along that route

Ceiling Lights... we have two very nice ceiling lights and it's a long room, so we would have to hang the projecter at least 30cm from the ceiling between them.... quite close to one... this would look bad

We don't have the luxury of a dedicated cinema room so the lounge has to double up...

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Would you believe, I just logged on to ask this very question for the exact same reasons. So hows about it lads. Any way of increasing throw distance?

Oh yeah and did I hear that the projector has to be aligned no closer than 15in from the top or bottom of the screen?

5. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I know this is probably obvious but you both had tried the zoom out feature havent you.

Anim

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm assuming that the throw distances quoted for a particular screen width which are usually in the form of Eg. x"-> y" ft means throw distance of x" ft at max zoom to y" ft at min zoom. So in my case with a screen width of 67in and throw distance quoted at 7-9ft its still in the middle of the room. I need the projector to be 13ft back to mount it on a shelf on the back wall. Either that or it goes on a coffee table in front of the couch or on the ceiling which are not ideal solutions for me for the exact same reasons as skimper.

7. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that could be it... also i have the s-video lead connected to my toaster... do you think that could be a problem? :devil:

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My AE100 throw's an image 203cm wide at 3.4 metres, that's the smallest it will go.
    Pj throws 10cm below or above the image, depending if you mount on the ceiling.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    that 10cm is with no keystone correction, so you can project above that (or below for ceiling mounted), but you have to correct for it, so 10cm is the optimal.

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Just an idea...

Instead of putting the PJ "on" the coffe table, why not put it "in" a "AV" type coffee table?.

Ok, it would mean you would have to have the bottom of the screen lower etc. But at least it would be easy to get access to the PJ for tweaking etc. Also you would be able to put a "HTPC" in there as well!.

PS...
    I prefer to use a RGB lead to the toaster, as Svideo tends to leave uneven "browning lines" across the bread!:p

11. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am waiting for the new RGB Scart equipped toaster that is rumoured to be appearing before christmas....It offers full anamorphic toasting with no burn-in!:rolleyes:

12. lappinp

lappinp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the RGB toaster produce 2.35:1 toasted french bread and do you get white bars on noraml 1.33:1 bread! Does any bread product come in a 16:9 format.

Paul

13. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tesco do a 16:9 loaf.... but it's not pre-sliced... Also the Toaster's "Warm" colour mode is ideal for wholemeal

14. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the AE-100 :)... The lens must be replaceable in case of repair, so i just need a lense with a longer focal length (1800 wide @ approx. 4.2m) lens...

i'm guessing that Panasonic would probably use a lot of standard parts across their range so maybe a lens from another model would fit?

Fulabeer: We have just bought an expensive coffee table that looks much nicer than a big box :)

Cheers

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can have the projector just behind the sofa then get a projector black stand from Jessops for £29.99 (you missed their sale though!). I do this now and it gives an amazing cinema feel having no projector in sight with sound in front of you and the projector noise is a non-issue now.

James

16. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, problem solved... I'm going to get a 2400x2400 screen and do a little re-arranging... anyone in the vicinity of north yorkshire want to buy a 1800x1800 manual screen for about £80? :)

James: I'm intrigued... what does this stand look like?

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do thes new Toaster's offer a no dead pixel guarantee on defrosting Kingsmill thick sliced bread :D

18. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, but it's dead crumbs you really have to worry about... most noticable on granary bread... because it's high-grain...

19. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'd survived the puns until then, thats a real groaner :)

20. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does that reduce projector noise and keep the projector out of sight?

Looks like a cheap step-ladder to me :)

22. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just a stand for your projector :clown:

what did you think it was meant for?, it sits behind the leather sofa , thus having sound in front of you and no projector in sight its bearly audible, but then my room is 35 feet long by 14 feet.

James

23. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have the same problem in that I want to mount my projector about 14Ft from the screen.

I have notticed that the Panasonic has a 55mm thread on the inside of the focus ring, am I wrong in thinking that if you could get a x2 telephoto video camcorder lens with this size thread you could reduce the image size by a factor of 2, as you would be projecting through the lens rather than the way it was designed for!!!

Any ideas?

24. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not cut a hole in the wall into the next room
    I did this at armchair hight put 2 small slideing doors on screen side &pulldown flap on the other so pj runs cool
    I am thinking of replaceing slideing doors with glass ones to help kill fan noise
    I have actualy done this unlike my last post see
    speaker & screen post
    this pj setup has kept my wife happy if that is possible:)

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    I put my Tosh MT1 on a TV bracket behind my sofa, this has the benefit of:
    1. being very stable and level,

2 the projector can be folded back flat to the wall

3. you can extend the arm so its closer to the screen

4.you can run some of the cables inside the bracket

26. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my ae100,

very pleased and am currently going through the setting up of the room. I was also thinking of getting a tripod as I want the projector to be portable. Has anyone found a good tripod for the ae100 (or any projector, that can then be modified).

I also want a tripod so that I can project the image upwards to the ceiling so that I can watch movies while lying in bed. Has anyone every mounted the projector vertically before and if so did it generate a lot of extra heat within the projector (as the fan couldn't blow all the air downwards as the heat rises) and did your projector blow up!

Answers to any or all of these questions would be much appreciated,

spicyy

---------

Goon - [holding up a bowling ball] What the **** is this?
    The Dude - Obviously you're not a golfer.

The Big Lebowski

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    spicy_fajita
    Be careful when using a Tripod, the Threaded Tripod Boss is only pushed in. The Ceiling mount boss's are fitted from the inside, so are stronger.

28. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Spicy Fajita,

Thats got to be the best resurrection since Lazarus !! bringing a post back to life after nearly a year !!

Do you really want to lie in bed watching movies on the ceiling, or have I misunderstood ?? I doubt any PJ is intended to be used in that position - I'll refrain in the interest of good taste from commenting on bed and things to do there other than watch movies.

See ya,

Sean G.

29. spicy_fajita

spicy_fajita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Resurrection is not the only miracle I perform, which brings me back to the bed issue...

...and I thought this was a classy forum. The bedroom is pretty full of furniture and can't really fit in comfortable seats so when watching movies, its usually from lying in bed. Theres a tv set up plugged into a hifi and as I want the projector portable I thought it would be nice to have the option of bringing it up to the bedroom some nights to watch a movie, something romantic like Platoon or The Bad Lieutenant. It was only an idea....

Just finished watching xXx, even cheesier than a Van Damme movie - great effects though and as I'm still in the honeymoon period, the picture blew me away.

I think I'll still try out a tripod, look about for a good sturdy one and try and make a base to go between the mount and the projector for more support. I know the tripod screw hole is not as strong as the others but it shouldn't be under too much strain. Its mainly for a portable compact adjustable stand.

If you've got any more suggestions for the kind of thing I'm after (adjustable height, portable and stable) I'd appreciate it.

Spicy,

PS I know its not this thread but have any of you heard of Miller's Crossing coming out on DVD...

30. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reguarding my pte100,

if i was to place my projector on a tv wall mount on the back wall above my head, and approx 10cm below the top of the screen, would this be possible? or would i have to turn the projector upside down if its not desk mounted.

look foward to some feedback as i'm ready to perminently mount my pj.

many thanks