I want to swipe everything!

Taurine14

Standard Member
Hey guys,

My 500GB HDD has finally filled up with so much rubbish, I've tried to sit there and sift through everything, but it only gets rid of about 1 or 2 gigabytes. I want to wipe everything and re-install everything I need. I only use my computer for internet and games, my games are all on STEAM or they are on disk, so that's not a problem. Everything else can go!

However, my friend built this computer for me, and when I got it I wasn't given any Windows 7 disks or anything, so if I wipe it and lose Windows 7, I'm going to have to fork out a load of money for a new operating system.

I tried backing up my operating system onto a disk, but it automatically backs up my C drive as well (which is what I want swiped).

So what I am asking is: is there a way I can back JUST my Windows 7 onto a disk, wipe everything, then re-install JUST windows 7 back onto my hard drive?

Thanks,

DJSigma

Banned
You can't back up just Windows 7 and use that to do a fresh install, but if you have a legit full license for Windows there's another way to do it.....

Google for "Digital River Windows 7 SP1" and you will find links to download all of the versions of Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 already slipstreamed into the OS. These downloads come from Digital River, who is a Microsoft partner that does digital distribution for them, so as long as you have a legit full license for your OS, you're not doing anything illegal.

Your license covers you for both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the particular version of Windows 7 you have, so for instance, if you currently have the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium installed, you could install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium and your license key would still work.

I recently did this myself. I have a full version of Windows 7 Professional here including the discs, but I used the Digital River downloads instead because Service Pack 1 is already integrated. That not only saves you time, as the first time you run Windows Updates, you only have to install the updates released post-SP1, it also saves you some disc space as if you install from a regular Windows 7 disc, then install Service Pack 1, Windows creates an uninstall folder containing several hundred MB of data.

If you have an external hard drive for backups, you can also back up your Steam folder which will save you from having to re-download everything (instructions HERE). Also, don't forget to back up things like your browser bookmarks, emails, contacts etc.

LJx

You might not have a full licence or any licence for Windows 7 at all, if you can't get a working key then just install the Windows 8 release preview and use that Windows 8 Release Preview

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom