Question I want to replace two speakers in a pair of tdl studio 10s

JJ88Kazz

Novice Member
I was given a pair of TDL studio 10s and my boys decided to push the the middle in on the lower to speakers. I'm a total noob when it comes to these sort of things so I need a little guidance. I want to replace them and don't know what type of speakers I need. Im using an artistion ax 980 amp.

Many thanks in advance.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
PHOTOS???

If it is not too bad, you might be able to pop the dents back out, and everything will be fine. But if and how you would do that will depend on the material that the Dust Domes are made from.

If the larger cones are still good, and if the system sounds OK, then it probably is OK. The Dust Dome are really to keep dust out of the voice coil gap.

Again, if you can get us some clear photos, we can probably help you fix the drivers for free, and if attempts at fixing them fail, then you are no worse off than you are now.

Also, keep in mind the Dust Dome themselves can be replaced. Replacing the actually drivers would only be a last resort.

I can't specifically know what the problem is until I see it. Very likely the drivers are fine, and this will be a simply - no cost - fix.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Ah well tape is what I was going to suggest to pull the dents out. That one dent in the first photo (....093531) looks like it should come out with tape. But the other speaker (...093451) looks in bad shape. It appears to have a tear in it, and it might even have some cone sparation; the ring and cone might have come apart.

These are not very expensive speakers to start with, any chance you've simply reached the point when it is time to buy new speakers?

There seem to be a lot of the Studio 10's available used, perhaps you could buy a second pair and salvage the part from the best of each to get one good set of speakers. That would probably be the cheapest route.

Steve/bluewizard

JJ88Kazz

Novice Member
Cheers Steve, I will have a look into getting another pair or some better ones. I might just see what I can do and have a play around with them.

Once again thanks for the advice, will update when I get a new pair sorted.

Peace

JJ88Kazz

Novice Member
Hi Steve, I've felt brave and took the dust caps off straightened them out, and hay presto there back to normal (somewhat). So big thank you to you sir.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom