1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to join the club....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by missyM, Sep 26, 2004.

1. missyM

missyM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you can help 'break' me into this exclusive club. I am in the market for a new sub, but I want it to be my FINAL purchase. I say that, as if I been buying subs for years, but the truth is that I am relatively new to the whole 'home cinema'concept, but what I want to avoid the costly route of buying inferior products only to wish and eventually upgrade them in the future. So I want the biggest and baddest sub going and by all accounts I have a choice between say an SVS (PB2+)or the monster that is DD-18.

Since this is an independent forum, lets talk about the DD-18. My current setup comprises of Denon AV2803, Phillips plasma (32"),Kef Q5 upfront and Kef Q1 for the rear channels. My listening room is approx 14x10. So the question is whether something as big as the DD-18 would integrate with my current set up? The thing that attracts me to this sub from what I've read is the fact that it has finesse as well as power. Its this delicate touch that I hope could blend in with a system like mine, but at the same time to have real punch for the big action movies.

Another question, is a sub like this too sophisticated for a beginner like me? What I mean is that you guys are always talking about Q levels, frequency response etc. I haven't a clue what you're talking about, but I do know I like real solid bass and I want something to last a lifetime. So the fact that I dont know the technical jargon or how to interpret your graphs, does that mean I won't be able to get the best from it? (since I wont know how to set it up).

I desperately want a good sub, and by the reviews on this site and others I guess the DD-18 has to be a final consideration. If you guys can help a beginner like me I would be really grateful.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Velodyne DD-18 is an excellent subwoofer, beloved of all that have tested it. A comparison with the SVS PB2 Plus is a little unfair as it should really be compared to the SVS PB2 Ultra which is remarkably similar in performance according to the reviews in Secrets of Home Theater ( look here for subwoofer tests.

In all honesty I could not recommend a £3,300 subwoofer to go with your present system as although it might be "big and bad" enough for you I think that it will unbalance your system to such a degree that it will not perform to it's optimum.

Cheap bass is all about loud volumes of distortion and unfortunately you will be buying an expensive, low distortion subwoofer and feeding it with distortion via the LFE output on your £400 thus wasting all of the money.

If you read the "Secrets" review you will notice that in terms of distortion and output the SVS PB2 Ultra is in the same league as the Velodyne DD-18 but it is half the price.

My suggestion would therefore be to buy the big bad SVS PB2 Ultra and with the £1,500 plus that you have saved to upgrade your amp to something befitting such a subwoofer so that you can actually enjoy the extra performance that the subwoofer / amp combination will bring you

3. say1

say1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have bad experience with importing sub.I received my pb2+ two weeks ego and there was a problem with it.SVS sent me a replacement amp but still same problem and I think it has to be shipped back.
    you have to do all replacing.I am waiting to see what is going to happen.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    While you certainly have my sympathies. It seems very odd that the problem should extend beyond replacing your Bash subwoofer amplifier. That only leaves the box and driver(s). Neither of which are likely to be the cause. So I don't see why the box has to go back to the US. Since the box can't make a hum. If the replacement amplifier was faulty that would be incredibly bad luck.:confused:

I presume Tom V must have worked through all the possible causes. Like earthing problems elsewhere in the system and trial swapping of alternative cables to try to eliminate the problem. I can't think of any way of wiring a 3 pin plug wrongly with only two conductors and the sub still able to work. My own SVS didn't have an earth pin in the female IEC mains socket to connect to. So I just used two core cable for my longer lead.

Are you simply using low level connections via a phono lead? Or do you have high level connections as well? Have you tried an alternative sub lead? Or high level connections without the speakers? Just swap your speaker cables over to the sub terminals instead. Have you double checked the mains plug that you fitted to the original SVS mains cable?

Do you have a stereo amplifier that you could temporarily connect via speaker cables to the high level terminals of your SVS? That would help to eliminate your AV system from the equation.

All very simple ideas. I'm sure Tom V can think of plenty of better ideas.

Did you find the Bash amp easy to swap by the way? I've been tempted to lift the plate to have a look inside myself.

Good luck whatever happens and plase keep us informed of progress. :)

Nimby

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I too had an experience when the SVS I imported was faulty, but to be fair, the customer service of these people is fantastic. The unit was replaced in full no questions asked.

So, in fact you don't have to do all the replacing as SVS will ship a full replacement out. I was given the option of having seperate components shipped out as well, but chose not to.

6. say1

say1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nimby,I tried everything that you suggested and Tom V from SVS.
    Used different mains and sub cables etc.Tom V.thinks it might be some sort of severe AC inteference but I have two other subs that work perfectly(sony&kef 2000).Sub hums even without sub cable connected.

Thanks for your replies.

7. say1

say1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Nimby I forgot,it is pretty easy to replace the amp.
    Turn the sub upside down so the base plate facing up
    1)Take base plate off
    2)Unscrew one driver,slide it to one side and lift it out
    3)unscrew other driver
    4)And finally unscrew the amp(need special key)
    MAKE SURE YOU DO'NT PULL THE CONNECTING WIRES

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sorry if my simple ideas seemed patronising.
    You've obviously tried everything.
    My cylinder is much easier to access.
    But I think I'll leave it alone.
    "If it ain't broke..don't mend it!" will be inscribed on my gravestone! :blush:

Yours obviously is broken and it's a shame.
    And it's still very odd. :confused:

Regards
    Nimby