1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to go from vcr to dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tony6403, Oct 10, 2003.

1. tony6403

tony6403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read with interest many of the contributions in this forum.
    I am not quite up to speed on the terminology used and hope that someone can tell me in very simple terms how to proceed.
    What I want to do is get rid of my VCR ( this I can sort ! ) and acquire a DVD recorder.
    My plan is to archive my existing tapes and to be able to record tv progs on rewritable discs with the ability to play them on other DVD players.
    I would also like to buy a DVD writer for this PC which will be entirely compatible - I am also going to get broadband and would like to try a few downloads.
    The Panasonic E50 seems inexpensive and gets good write ups.
    Things like RGB ( whatever that is ) and disc formats are confusing me.
    Does anyone have the patience to explain what is best please.
    Thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    regards
    Tony

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick one but although I have a Panasonic myself,only Philips currently offer recorders with rewritable discs that play on other players.Panny machines use DVD RAM-totally incompatible with other players.So if that is a definite requirement then your field is quite limited.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny Ram discs are compatible with some PC drives.
    Also RGB stands for Red Green Blue the video standard. Composite is the lowest grade, S-Video is next separates picture into 2 components RGB uses 3 signals (gets confusng with Sync dont worry about this) and then YUV commonly called component again 3 signals but not Red Green & Blue which is RGB. A DMR-E50 is a very good VCR replacement machine but recording on to re-writable disc and playing back at a friends house or in a bedroom without a panny recorder then you will struggle, a few players can Only panny though i think!

Hope this helps!

4. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Panasonic machines outshine the Philips ones when it comes to copying from VHS tapes.
    I have seen many negative reports on Philips machines copying VHS to disk on the DVDR+ forum:-
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi