i want to go 7.1 but need advise

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kopmjj, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi i am thinking to go 7.1 but the problem is in my bedroom my bed is against the back wall and cant be moved.
    so can i put the rears on the side of the bed in stands and surround back high up on the back wall pointing towards my head?
    or can i connect 4 speakers on the back wall eg: to furthest are rear speakers pointing towards me and 2 surround back speakers higher up pointing downwards?

would this work? or in my situation shall i go for front height speakers? but if i choose this option can i get the best out of 7.1 blurays?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Given your room layout I would drop the idea of going for 7.1 at the rear. Just because there are 7.1 blurays etc. does not mean going 7.1 will sound better in your situation. The benefit of 7.1 comes from putting the speakers in the right place so that the rear sound field is improved and pans around in a smooth manner. Trying to cram extra speakers into a tight space so they are not in the right place is just going to confuse the rear sound field and could make the experience worse instead of better.
    You are not losing anything from 7.1 blurays now since the 4 rear channels will be mixed into the 2 speakers you currently have. So no information is lost. For your situation if you really want to add more speakers then front heights would probably be the better option but these channels are only pseudo channels since no bluray will have front heights encoded onto them.

3. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    ok cool so ideally i will need to have enough space behind my seating area so i can add the rears to the sides and surround backs behind me?
    i might add the front heights then as hopefully i can add some sort off atmosphere or effect and maybe more room filling.
    do i have to use dlp 2 or something? also can i use front height speakers on 5.1 sources too?

anyone here who uses front height speakers can share their experience as to how much better it sounds and what they make of it?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    The front heights can be used on any source (even stereo) this is because they are made up anyway by the receiver. You would need to select the correct prologic mode for the receiver to then make up the front height channel from the sound track supplied.

5. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    ok thanks last question, i have bought a q7000 speakers and at the moment im using 5.1, now in order for me to use front height speakers does my speakers have to be matching? or can i get any small speakers to put on the wall? also does it matter which brand? i mean tonally does it have to match?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Really I would want all speakers to be matching at the front to ensure the best front soundstage. That said the front heights probably do not take much of the signal so you may be able to get away with it. I have not experience in front heights so not sure really. If going down that route I would probably look to get the same speaker as the heights to be safe unless I could take some other speakers home to try for free to see if they sound OK. Your overall sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the system so putting cheap speakers up could be a false economy.

7. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi im thinking to buy these Q ACOUSTICS 2010i to use for my fronts and wondering if i can mix these with the q7000 center? and use the rest for front height?