I want to get back into gaming but I’m rubbish at it

I actually find a lot of games are too in depth and over complicated these days. I know people love it and see it as adding value....but I don't want to constantly collect spare parts and trinkets to add together to build a super human or give me special medicines or weapons. It's all just too much for my brain to take in...I'm just not interested in it.

It's probably the reason I always default back to driving games. They're relatively simple and you know what you're gonna get.

I actually find a lot of games are too in depth and over complicated these days. I

That's where Zelda BOTW shines. A refreshingly simple, but absorbing game. Intentionally very sparse on story line, but a huge world to explore. I never got bored with it, and played along with my kids from start to finish.

Another vote for fallout 4. Loved fallout 3 as well.

Pollywoggle... Did you ever play counter-strike back in the day?
No it probably passed me by a bit as I was distracted by long hours working and trying to get my kids through uni etc

No it probably passed me by a bit as I was distracted by long hours working and trying to get my kids through uni etc
That's cool. My dad (who was in his late 60's at the time) loved half life 2. He also really liked fallout and the borderlands series.

Hope you find your gaming mojo.. You don't need to be good to enjoy it (you can always set games to easy etc)

What really bugs me is to many cuts scenes theses days,if i want a big back story,i will watch a movie,but slowly getting into my gaming again,like OP not so good theses days,and alot of the new games really need time spend on them.

:)
Agreed. Worse still is when they’re right at the start of the game and you have to sit through a massive long cut scene before you can actually play it.

I’ve just started playing Yakuza 0, it seems like there’s a cut scene every time you do anything and they go on for ages.

Agreed. Worse still is when they’re right at the start of the game and you have to sit through a massive long cut scene before you can actually play it.

I’ve just started playing Yakuza 0, it seems like there’s a cut scene every time you do anything and they go on for ag

Especially with new generation of consoles,that give you a faster load times,but you still have to wait massive long cut scene 🤬

Last edited:
Started dishonoured 2 last night and did the first section but it was still downloading from game pass. Looks like a good game so far. Went back to fallout 4 while the rest downloaded. Also downloading Wolfenstein old blood to see if that’s more like the new order. Might end up with 4 games on the go.
Going back to fallout though really iterates what an amazing game it is.

Started dishonoured 2 last night and did the first section but it was still downloading from game pass. Looks like a good game so far. Went back to fallout 4 while the rest downloaded. Also downloading Wolfenstein old blood to see if that’s more like the new order. Might end up with 4 games on the go.
Going back to fallout though really iterates what an amazing game it is.
Fallout 4....the ability to save wherever I want is making such a difference, I can just have a potter about and enjoy myself doing very little and then save and come back feeling I haven’t wasted any time 👍

Fallout is very much a pick up and put down game too. So many small side quests if you don’t want to progress with the main story.

That's cool. My dad (who was in his late 60's at the time) loved half life 2. He also really liked fallout and the borderlands series.

Hope you find your gaming mojo.. You don't need to be good to enjoy it (you can always set games to easy etc)
Mine too - loves the early Borderlands games, Fallout, GTA and the Far Cry series. He actually preferred the New Dawn version to Far Cry 5 in fact (which I wasn't expecting!). Mum doesn't mind - she navigates and tells him where to go! :D

Fallout 4....the ability to save wherever I want is making such a difference, I can just have a potter about and enjoy myself doing very little and then save and come back feeling I haven’t wasted any time 👍
Its not perfect but I've played this game longer than just about anything else and its difficult to change!

Its not perfect but I've played this game longer than just about anything else and its difficult to change!
That's what I'm finding. Going back to it just reminds me how much I like it and off I go, then realise 3 hours has disappeared.

That's what I'm finding. Going back to it just reminds me how much I like it and off I go, then realise 3 hours has disappeared.
The only games that can vaguely compete are Civ 6 and XCOM 2 War of the Chosen for me.

I’m enjoying Fallout 4 so much, still just doing a bit each day wandering about and not getting fed up or frustrated, it’s on an easy setting though😀
Actually enjoying gaming!

I’m enjoying Fallout 4 so much, still just doing a bit each day wandering about and not getting fed up or frustrated, it’s on an easy setting though😀
Actually enjoying gaming!
Awesome. You'll be hooked for hours and hours. So much to do dependent on what you want to get out of the game.

If you have or can get gamepass for a good price I'd definitely suggest trying some different style titles as there's no reason not to. I used to play games so much more and fell out with it a lot when first person shooters just got repetitive and boring to me, I found there was only so many ways to run around shooting things before it got stale and j generally stopped playing much at all. There's definitely some gems I've tried on gamepass I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise and it's got me playing games a lot more again.

I really enjoyed hollow knight as a metroidvania, I never thought the git gud style game would appeal to me but if done well and you learn and improve from mistakes it's very rewarding gameplay, the saves were close enough to points you'd generally fail that backtracking to reach where you died to retry only took a couple of minutes. Nier automata was another game I enjoyed a lot that I really wasn't expecting to.

Worst case scenario with gamepass you can try the fallouts, halos, gears and some other titles and just see what sticks for you.

Agree with that. I got gamepass for £1 for a month, downloaded 4 games. 2 instantly dismissed as frustrating, 2 I'm playing on and off and enjoying so far. I got the Wolfenstein Old Blood and it's much more like the originals where you literally just walk around shooting, no complicated weapons, power ups etc. The other is Dishonored 2, which I do like, but it's starting to get on my nerves with all the runes and additional special powers.

I love the game subscription services. Even as only a casual gamer, I have Game Pass and PSNow and get more than my monies worth out of them.

Most recent discovery is Super Hot which is awesome.

I was browsing Gamepass the other day and downloaded a game called Eastshade. If your looking for a really stress free chilled out game then this is it. Imagine Skyrim without the combat and inventory faffing and this is what you get.

I’ve been playing it for around 8 hours now and really enjoying the change in pace from the usual stuff I play, it really is a beautifully relaxing game. You play as an artist who is on a personal journey to Eastshade in memory of their recently deceased mother. What you end up with is a gorgeous little island to explore and adventures to find.

I was browsing Gamepass the other day and downloaded a game called Eastshade. If your looking for a really stress free chilled out game then this is it. Imagine Skyrim without the combat and inventory faffing and this is what you get.

I’ve been playing it for around 8 hours now and really enjoying the change in pace from the usual stuff I play, it really is a beautifully relaxing game. You play as an artist who is on a personal journey to Eastshade in memory of their recently deceased mother. What you end up with is a gorgeous little island to explore and adventures to find.
That sounds right up my street👍

I just bought far cry 5 and modern warfare remastered. Fingers crossed. :)
I've played and complete MW, what a great game. Annoyingly I had to drop the difficulty for one level (I remember it being a bitch last time I played - the fairground) but it doesn't let you raise the difficulty again. Will try it again later on a harder setting.
Then tried infinity war as bought as a double pack. Didn't get very far before I dropped it for Far Cry 5. What a great game. Only a few hours in, but really enjoying it. It does remind me of Fallout to an extent, which is great. Great recommendation from whoever recommended it in this thread. Thanks!

Well, my gaming abilities are a far cry (see what I did there? 😉) from where they used to be as I have a terminal illness (Motor Neurone Disease) which affects basically everything. I love driving games but I’m crap at them now, however I still enjoy them to some degree.

I always played games like Ghost Recon Future Soldier, GR Wildlands and more recently Breakpoint; tried Fallout 4 but couldn’t get into it at all and gave it away. I still occasionally play Wildlands and while I die probably where I shouldn’t I still enjoy it.

My son plays GTA 5 (mainly online) which was something I thought would be well beyond my diminishing abilities so gave it a wide berth for a couple of years, however a few months ago I was looking for a new game to play, saw GTA 5 for about £12 and bought it. I have to say that since then I’ve been really enjoying it - sure, I can’t play to the level that I’d like to but I accept my limitations and work with them.

So, I’d suggest giving GTA 5 a try. There’s LOADS to do - story mode, online etc. There are so many missions to do in the online game I haven’t even got round to trying a lot of them. Or...if you want something a bit different, slower paced, I’d suggest Elite Dangerous.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom