I want to game in 4K and hdr should I get pc or Xbox one x?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Nov 10, 2017.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I am unsure at the moment if I should upgrade my PC or buy an Xbox one x. I have a switch, ps4 pro and although I have an Xbox one s I hardly used it. I only used it for forza and have lent it to my girlfriend who has 2 boys aged 17 so they don’t have to share their Xbox one.

I have always preferred consoles because my friends have them, easier to play online etc and I like the achievements, the UI and way I can compare my achievements with friends etc. I bought a PC 5years about when it was PS3 and 360 because the consoles could no longer handle the games smoothly, annoying kids online, mods for games although I hardly ever used them and I wanted 60 FPS.

I have read how impressive the Xbox one x is and how it compares with mid spec pcs although not sure how it can when pc graphics cards cost as much as Xbox consoles.

My pc system

Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77 D3H

CPU
    i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2

Ram
    Kingston hyper x genesis grey 2 x 4GB

PSU
    Pc power and cooling silencer mkII series 600w 80 plus bronze modular

Graphics card
    Msi lightening 7970

Case
    Cooler case cm 690 advanced II

Monitor
    Pro lite e2409HDS 24”

I would like to game in 4K HDR. Until I bought pc I always played games on a tv but now much prefer monitor because I’m sitting close to the screen, low input lag and just feel it’s better on monitor than a big tv. I play fifa, FPS, adventure games and I like driving games. I don’t know if I should upgrade pc or Xbox one x. One day I read positives about Xbox one x and think mind is set then I read Xbox can’t produce native 4K 60FPS unlike PC but I’m not sure if assassin creed for example is in HDR on pc

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,471
    OK, firstly. There is no way you will get a PC anywhere in the same ball park money wise as the XBox One X to do 4K 60FPS.

You'd need to spend a minimum £1000, possibly £1500 to achieve that.

3. aslird

aslird
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,201
    Really depends on your budget. You cannot beat the xbox X for the sheer value - £450 for 4k gaming, some of it true 4k, vs £1k+ for 4k (True 4k) on the PC. Personally, if it was me, I would do 1440p or even 1080p/144hz on PC, and the PSPRO (for those Sony exclusives) for gaming on a 4k TV/Monitor. Resolution is not a deciding factor me - framerate and smoothness is 100 times more important.

4. Peew971

Peew971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    You said your friends play on consoles, you don't need any more than that. Get a One X.

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    My friends have ps4 but made friends on twitter who have Xbox while more people on here game on consoles. PC is like a la cart restaurants people know it’s the best but many would rather eat at Nando’s or waggamamma etc and this is what it’s like with consoles

Regarding budget I was thinking of getting 1070 or 1060 graphics card, boosting my memory to 16gb as my motherboard says it can take up to 32gb while monitor wide I not seen one with full 4K that also has hdr but there are some due out next year

6. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    You're going to need more than the 1060/70 to play at 60 or above FPS at 4k , I have a 1060 6gb & i5 4460 in my HTPC and it really struggles to play games on my 4k tv , the best i can do is low to medium ( mostly low ) with all bells and whistles turned off , and well it's just not worth playing at all, it looks like the old the ps3 games and plays like it too , it's not smooth at all.
    For 4k your going to need a 1080 or the TI version and them alone is more than the Xbox X will be .

The xbox x is really good value from what your're getting from it , 4k games ( some maybe upscale'd some true 4k ) and a UHD bluray player as well .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thank you and as you say I would be gaining a 4K player and easier to watch Netflix in 4K on the console etc too. I think from what I read the Xbox one s plays games quite smooth in 4K too.
    What monitor would you guys recommend if I want 4K and hdr? I be sitting very close to the monitor, as I said I prefer gaming this way than on a big tv and 8 feet away

8. MooCow

MooCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    So a 1070 is going to get you maybe 30-40 FPS at 4K in SOME games at high/ultra details but you are also going to see it drop lower than that in some titles, considerably lower - or at least from what I read up on before deciding to go 1440P instead.
    I would much rather see higher frame rates than more pixels on the screen any day of the week.

Given that, if 4K is your goal, then it only leaves you with the Xbox One X as being the obvious choice as at least it is going to give you the 30FPS at 4K and 60 at 1080P

Or you are going to be dropping 700 on a 1080Ti and probably the same again or more on a monitor.

9. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    There's is only one 4k and hdr at the moment i can think of which is the dell 27 4k UP2718Q
    and that is a fortune .
    and it will be a good while until more show up .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    On the scale of things , im playing at 1440p with a 1080 ti , and some games just manage to play over the 60fps, Ghost wildlands , assassin's creed origins and sniper ghost warrior 3 all at max settings tho .
    and this is with a i7 4790k oc'd to 4.6 as well.

11. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks guys. Regarding frame rate can you see 70 FPS and upwards? I thought 60 fps would mean smooth gameplay. I keep seeing all over the net and gadget sites that 4K and hdr is the thing to have and how amazing everything looks. I have not experienced anything in 4K yet
    Thank you for taking time out and answering my question nice can get pros and cons on both before deciding

12. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    Yes i can,
    for a few years now , iv have been playing at 100+FPS mostly at 120 depending on the game ,
    and trying to play at 60 fps, I can see the difference , ( what helps is having a G-sync monitor but that is a different story )
    how ever i still play the ps4 pro sometimes at 30 fps 4k/ish ( horizon zero dawn ) and can see a big difference but if the game good enough i'll play it.

I can see a big debate coming on here.

13. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    TBH there's not much difference between 1440p ( 2k) and 4k if your only going to play on small screen size like a monitor.
    like @aslird said , and i agree , i would rather have higher frame rate than higher visuals ( if playing on a PC) .

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I was looking at the g sync monitor but the tech world have led me to believe everything must be 4K and hdr etc

15. liquidsoap89

liquidsoap89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    120-144hz makes a monumental difference to the look and feel of games. Whether you can actually achieve that framerate is a different matter entirely. Finding a 4K monitor that can also run at 120hz might be an issue, I don't know of any that can actually do that with the current HDMI specs, though my knowledge might be out of date there.

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and I think it's incredible. It has G-sync in it as well, so literally all of my visual bases are covered.

Personally (if I had the money), I'd choose a PC over an XBox. You can play most XBox games on Windows now (with cross-platform play so you can still play with your XBox friends), but you still get access to Steam, GoG, Origin, etc. You already have a Switch and PS4 for the exclusives, so to me it doesn't make sense to get an XBox for what is also available on the PC. Obviously this decision will come at a cost; pretty much all of your PC will need to be upgraded. You might be able to keep that PSU and case, but the rest of it will need to be replaced. Realistically you'd be looking at 2-3 times the cost for an excellent PC (plus the cost of a monitor, but it looks like you'll be buying one of those with either a PC or an XBox), but that cost would all but guarantee a better experience. You wouldn't get variable resolutions, or bad framerates, or upscaled resolutions, which will surely be the case with some XBox games.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    This day and age everything all about high visuals , i agree, you read it everywhere .
    But Na , the sweet spot ( well me anyways ) is 1440p on the PC , and like i said before because for smaller screen size you can't see much of a difference between them 1440p & 4k ,
    how ever g-sync is a must for a nvidia GPU or free-sync if you have a AMD GPU
    this is where if you game your playing can't quite manage 60fps , G-sync helps play the game much more smoothly and no choppiness while playing ( youtube a few vids g-sync is will give you a better understanding of it ) than what i can describe :)

17. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I was hoping I would only need to upgrade my memory and graphics card if I was going pc route

18. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Difference with pc’s online and forums is people are helpful not fan fan boys and give pros and cons thank you guys for your help I appreciate it. I not read up on things for a while and with so many graphics cards, monitors and seeing game sites comparing Xbox one x games to mid range and high end pc’s it’s hard to decide what’s best.
    I didn’t know I could still game against people on my Xbox friends list even though I was on pc and they were on Xbox

19. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I have a 980Ti gaming PC connected to a twin Monitor setup, one the ASUS ROG Swift 1440p 165Hz G-Sync and the other a LG 4K IPS that I think is 10 bit but not HDR.

I can play PC games on either of the two monitors depending on the game for example the latest Doom game with the optimised driver it is playable at 4K high graphical details or on the 1440p at high fps. An older game running at 1440p 165Hz on a 27" screen looks stunning. The new Hellblade game runs on 4K but at low frame rate which is just playable with the 4K monitor but nowhere near as smooth as at 1440p on the G-sync with higher fps and if compared to the 4K visually looks just as good on the 1440p monitor (both are 27"). Only time you would really notice the 4K enhanced graphical fidelity is if paused on static images. Once moving you would be just as happy on a 1440p. I'm sure once your at 55"+ the 4K will make a much bigger difference.

I then have my PS4 Pro connected into the 4K LG.

I keep PC as most many of the XBOX games come to PC while I have the PS4 Pro for exclusives.

It really is down to cost. You could have a PS4 Pro & XBOX ONE X for price of a 1080TI graphics card. If money no object then a 1080Ti (or better) gaming PC.

::A final comment::

Even though the 1080Ti has much higher graphical power than the PS4 Pro games are never optimised as much as for consoles which is why first party Sony developed games for the PS4 Pro can look just as good if not better than many PC games. Uncharted 4 & standalone DLC looks stunning, as does Zero Dawn.

The XBOX ONE X is a bargain considering also 4K Blu-ray player (that's if you actually want a 4K player).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. liquidsoap89

liquidsoap89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's possible that you could get by with the CPU and motherboard, but I think that will limit what type of memory you can end up getting for the PC. With some of the recent PC releases, we're starting to see a big jump in the minimum CPU requirements; I think your CPU will end up being a bottleneck quicker than you would hope. That being said, I'm thinking of this in terms of the best option for gaming. Just getting a new GPU will give you a big performance boost.

Thankfully, with PCs you don't necessarily have to do all the upgrades at once. You might find that the CPU works just fine for many of the games that you play (and that will probably be the case initially). If in the future you start to find that it's slowing you down, then a relatively painless (although fairly expensive) upgrade can solve that.

21. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I have an i7 GTC1070 PC and an Xbox One X. To be honest I'm really enjoying the Xbox experience. It's the simplicity of it. It is very quiet too, you put the disk in (wait three hours for the huge download files) then get on and play. Currently playing Forza 7 and COD:WW2 and it looks fabulous but I'm only gaming at 1080p. I think my PC still has the edge on power but it's probably quite marginal. I don't think either will sustain 60fps at 4k on most games. For the money and if I was in your shoes it would be an Xbox One X and not a PC. There is plenty of cheap software around too!

22. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,173
    *disclaimer this just my opinion going off the two vidz below

Just been looking at what your 3570 can do in the terms of adding a high end GPU like the 1080
    this game here farcry primal is only running at about 45fps at 4k
    look the top left corner 3rd line down
    i5 3570k and ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Far Cry...

the game is about a year and half now and it looks like its struggling to play it , i think it's been bottle necked by the cpu 3570 .( or there is something else wrong with the PC )
    saying that i could just manage 65-70 with my old i5 4690k and gtx 1070 both over clocked and played at 1440p

this one here rise of the tomb raider is a good 4 years now and is only hitting the 60fps mark
    Tomb Raider TEST GTX 1080 with i5 3570k...

both games are running at 4k with a gtx 1080 , and their both just managing to play at an acceptable/ish rate .
    if you take into account the games that are out now , ghost wildlands , the division , assassins creed origins all very demanding games on both the CPU and GPU you could be wasting time and money if you just upgrade the GPU
    your not going to get very far in the terms of playing at 4k just by upgrading the GPU at the moment.
    so you are going to need a new PC all together im afraid to say .

23. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks for your help guys I appreciate. I have pc with Witcher 3, doom, fallout 4, latest version of far cry and not played them which run at fairly decent FPS on maximum settings well apart from doom.
    I will play them at some point when I want pc gaming and just ordered Xbox one x as it’s the cheaper option between that and upgrading my pc from what you guys have said.

What monitor should I get or should I hold off until more 4K and hdr monitors are released? I think I will get 4K hdr tv at some point next year but they cost a fair bit if you want decent hdr so will wait on that front and as I said before I prefer gaming in a monitor rather than a big screen 8 feet away but you probably think I’m daft preferring that

24. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would just like to add my 2€, likewise with a TV and viewing distance, why do you specifically need 4k? Have a quick look at monitor resolution and viewing distance, also compare what monitor you are currently using in DPI and maybe just move up a notch in that? As imho I think 4k on a 24 inch screen would be wasted. Also there are a lot of people that say the enjoyment that you get is when the FPS goes higher than 60, currently not possible on 4k screen as requires display port 1.3+ (not sure of equivalent hdmi). On a side note biology says humans can't see above 60fps, but then they found that "pros" can focus intensely for 3-4 seconds and see at a higher fps in slow mo, but a lot of people like the smoothness of 60+hz.

As for your current setup, your CPU is absolutely fine, anything above 1080p is bottlenecked by your GPU, exceptions are Assassins creed origins, due to the duel level DRM. Another site did a comparison of a stock i7 2700 vs i7 8700, and found that it was 4-5fps slower, but that was at stock speeds (due to much lower boosting than 8700). As for RAM I don't think you will see much benefit over 8gb but there are quite a few comparisons on the web (I haven't checked for a while).

25. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I will get a 28" to 32" monitor currently have a 5 year old 24" monitor. I read on tech sites that hdr and 4k is amazing and more detailed etc. I have a ps4 pro so jsut wanted better monitor to take advantage of that and thought it would be future proof.
    I do prefer visuals I must admit although playing doom on maximum settings gives around 20 fps I couldn't play a game that choppy.
    I admit when I first got my PC 5 years ago it cost me £1400 but coming from a console I could notice how much smoother the games were and how your character feels like he is running rather than run walk run walk if makes sense.

I think fifa, call of duty type of games better on console because amount of people on consoles while single player games such as skyrim, fallout etc better on pc because run smoother and the mods available if that makes sense.

26. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    PC monitors with HDR should be avoided until newer models come out next year, all of the few PC HDR monitors currently on the market don't have the hardware to do it justice with no proper back-lighting system. It's like the early days of TV HDR when some makers patched HDR into their sets but the hardware wasn't capable and it did nothing or made things look worse.

Your wasting your money chasing anything with HDR for now, wait for monitors like this to come on the market that have 384-zone full array local dimming arrays that's what does HDR, for comparison the Samsung CHG70 their flagship monitor with HDR has only 8 zones (review showing how bad the HDR is).

Also something to keep in mind if you are getting an X1X it supports Freesync though it is not yet currently enabled in the firmware so it remains to be seen how it works globally or on a per title basis.

Lastly when picking a PC monitor that also have other devices attached to its inputs I would get something that handles switching inputs easy & quickly, a lot of PC monitors are terribly frustrating at this. LG monitors are one of the quickest to switch inputs as they have a joystick based UI no fiddly touch buttons like now on so many displays, alternatively look into HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 switch and have everything run off that switch PC & console and just use that to cycle between them.

27. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thank you for your replies. I will keep current pc and play games like Witcher and fallout etc on maximum settings I get 45-60fps. I have so many games to play because of the steam sale that I still not touched despite buying years ago.
    I have ordered Xbox one x because of its cost compared to upgrading current PC and because of the UI and I always find people I work with etc have one of the consoles rather than PC. I have wolfeinstein 2, assassins creed origins and cod WW2 on ps4 maybe I should have waited and bought on xbox

I will wait regarding monitors as you guys have said better to hold off a few months as some new hdr 4k monitors will then be released. I might even look into another monitor as you guys have said I notice 4k on 28" just I have read that hdr is more noticeable

28. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    You guys have bene really helpful and helped me decided what to do I just want to ask one more thing sorry. I game don’t watch much tv but have Netflix, sky q although that’s upstairs and I have ps4 pro and Xbox one x now which can play UHD films.
    I would like a 4K and HDR screen do you guys think I should wait and get a monitor next year when decent hdr and 4K is available or do you think for the same money I should get a 40” tv with hdr and 4K? I be sitting right in front of the screen so it might be a bit too big. I thought you need to spend over £1200 to get decent hdr

29. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,471
    If you are sitting right in front of it, 40" is far too big. You won't be able to take all the screen in.

I find 28" to be about the sweet spot for a PC monitor.

If it were me I would get a decent 1440P monitor with a high refresh rate, probably G-Sync.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  30. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    Agree with Greg Hook
    1440p and a high refresh rate is probably going to look a lot better than 4k at 40-50 fps