I want to ditch cable

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Fairynuff, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had them all and the monthly fee goes up and up and 90% of the stuff I am paying for I never watch. Freeview gives me most of what I need, I watch a lot of news, some documentaries, I very much enjoyed Game of Thrones / Vikings and that genre of series but I tend to save them and binge watch them, I rarely watch movies (it's Tarantino or nothing) I don't watch any sport other than golf. I want to replace my current 10 year old plasma TV with something high resolution crystal clear definition. I really would like to stay below 55 inch 49 inch would be perfect. I'd also like to stay below £1,000 (well below but could be convinced up to £1,000). I don't do Blue Ray (I don't know what Blue Ray is). I don't play games. I don't need speakers outside the TV set. I have a dish on the side of the house. The TV will be fixed to the wall.

1. Which TV set should I buy?
    2. When I have bought it, how do I get (last years episodes) of Game of Thrones etc.,

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    If you are planning on using the built in tuner on the TV every TV comes with a Freeview tuner now, rarer are TVs with Freesat tuners. Freesat is probably not worth considering since it will narrow your choice of TVs significantly. The channels available are slightly different with both platforms having some exclusive HD channels.

New TVs are of course mainly UHD models now and are capable of replicating the crystal clear picture you describe, they are however heavily limited by the quality of the source material and will not make regular broadcast TV look fantastc. Yes they will upscale anything that isn't UHD to the best of their ability but they will not polish everything and make it look better like the manufacturers want you to believe. Its surprising how poor HD broadcast TV look on UHD models, although since you are only looking to buy a smaller TV, maybe you won't notice this as much.

Really its with high quality sources such as Netflix/Amazon and alike that start to shine on UHD models, especially if you have a capable TV with HDR and a show that supports it. I guess what I am saying is, the TV is only as good as the quality you feed it and broadcast TV whilst good quality for 10-20 years ago, is poor today.

As for your questions:
    1. Presuming you sit front on to the TV and do not need wide viewing angles I would recommend Sony's XF85 series if you do not care much for HDR performance and the XF90 series if you do. Both these TVs will be good with motion and upscaling. - In fact they are the only TVs below 55" now that have good backs, contrast and screen uniformity. They should also be priced very well as they are near end of life.

2. You can buy box-sets of series much the same as you can buy discs once they are released. I think GOT is available to buy from Amazon amongst others.

3. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks . . . .
    Having set my budget at £1k believing that would be plenty I am now being convinced that I must have OLED and steered towards two models. the LG OLED55B8S at £1,060 and the Panasonic TX55FZ802B at £1,299. Is the Panasonic worth the extra £239 - why / why not?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    Perhaps you will find this link helpful: 2018-2019 OLED Comparison

There are ups and downs to either model but the LG is the better all-rounder.

If you are interested in refurbished products the Panasonic FZ802 is often put up for sale as a refurbished model on Panasonic's eBay outlet for £900 last I checked. They come and go fast though. Standard 1 year warranty but none of the extra 4-5 years many retailers provide.

5. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the helpful replies

6. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    More questions . . ..
    1. How do I record stuff (after I've ditched Virgin/Sky)?
    2. How do I get the same stuff on the bedroom TV / to get the same stuff up there do I need to upgrade that TV also?

7. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I have to replace the (ageing) bedroom TV set the largest I can accommodate (on the dressing table) would be 32 inch max - suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. Fairynuff

Fairynuff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is Smart IPTV and Android Smart TV KODI and will these provide the solution to my viewing needs?

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    You may find you don't need to record stuff at all, especially if you view everything within a few weeks of it being aired. Most content now is available on catch up TV services.
    If you do still want to record you can continue to use your old Sky box for non-sky channels, purchase a designated recorder for satellite or freeview or try using a TV with dual tuners and a designated USB hard drive to record.
    You cannot get small TVs with dual tuners so you will be limited to using a separate recording box and a separate connection for the TV, be it freesat or freeview. There are ways to share recordings between TVs but it involves quite a lot of research and can be difficult to setup.
    Smaller TVs do not get the same attention to detail than larger models get nowadays so therefore there aren't really any fantastic options available. In your shoes I'd probably pick up a Hisense model for as cheap as possible. LG also sell a range of FHD TVs that are okay and have great smart TV but really it won't make the world of difference which model you get with all models being average to poor with picture quality.

IPTV stands for Internet Protocol Television and its a method of watching television over the internet rather than via traditional antenna or dish. In the UK as yet there are no legal IPTV services like there may be in other countries. In the USA you can pay per month to get IPTV and record content remotely rather than locally which would be ideal for your situation but the UK is quite far behind in that department.

KODI is just an app you can use on certain platforms to store and access media, either locally on a computer or remotely via a server. You can also get plugins to watch different types of content, most of which are illegal. One of the ways you could setup recording on different platforms within your home would be to setup a TV tuner on a home media server and share its channels remotely to an app like Kodi or Plex on each TV, then you can restore all your recordings on the server and access them between each TV. It requires some time to setup correctly and some basic knowledge of computers.