1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy a Samsung-HD950 now!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FlyingBig, Jun 13, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what i can gather the Samsungs don't suffer greatly from macroblocking and the "HDMI audio not supported message" should be removed with this new player so with that in mind (please correct me if i am wrong) i want to buy this player for my PV500. At the moment i can only find it at one place and i am not even sure if they have it in stock as their phone lines are closed. Can anyone give me heads up on some great sites that might have the 950 in stock and do not appear on dealtime or pricerunner?

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'd be surprised if samsung are delaying this player to iron out the bugs from the 850 as the bugs from the 745 and 945 are still in the 850.
    If they did iron out some of the bugs and make it more user friendly it would be a very good player though.

3. dazbug

dazbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the bugs in the 850. from what ive read its a pretty good player.

4. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've phoned around pretty much all the retailers that have it for sale on their website, and all of them have said that Samsung haven't even shipped the units out yet, and they expect end of June to mid July for stock :(

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    It's not so much bugs just very poorly thought out firmware, for example:-

No auto select of PAL or NTSC, you have to select it manually and to do this you have to stop the disc. Otherwise it converts it ,badly.

There's the 'HDMI AUDIO NOT SUPPORTED' glitch which means that you get this message when using HDMI unless you turn off the on screen display(which you have to do every time you turn on the player as it does not remember the settings).

It does not remember start points on dvd's if you turn off the power so you have to go back in to the scene selection and find where you were.

The menu system is not at all user friendly as you have to stop the disc to access most things.

I could go on, it might not seem a lot but when you have to keep stopping and starting the disc to change settings just cos you've decided to watch a region 1 dvd or because you're getting error messages it gets old real quick.

All this would be understandable on a first generation player but this is probably the last generation before HD-DVD!

All in all I wish I'd waited and bought something else, although I suppose you get what you pay for.

Rant over.

6. dazbug

dazbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, ive decided not to get one based on your opinions. I think ill go the oppo or wait till August for the new Sony NS92v