I want to buy a big Rear Projection TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rjs1974, Jun 19, 2002.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am am leaning towards either the 50" or new 57" Toshiba. Does anyone have either of these (or the 56")?

I have Sky Digital and would use component video for DVDs, so could I expect superb quality? I also have separate amp, speakers and subwoofer, so wouldn't rely on the integrated sound.

Would anyone say Sony RPTVs are better than Toshs?

I have had a Sony KV36FS70 CRT TV but got fed up with all the problems, plus I would like a bigger screen.

Please post any experience of Tosh RPTVs, good, bad or indifferent, likewise Sony.

Many thanks in advance!

2. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I have a Tosh 50WH18, and all I can say is that it's a really good TV. Once callibrated the picture is great.

Anything specific you wanna know, just ask. :)

3. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

Is the picture when watching DVDs excellent? Do you use component video or RGB SCART for DVD?

Is it easy to modify the convergence? How often do you need to adjust it?

Do you have good geometry (i.e. no bowed edges, wonky sides etc.) ?

Any other complaints at all, or are you very happy with the set?

Thanks again!

4. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. The picture is great with DVD's. Right now I have an old Philips DVD on which I use RGB through scart. I have tried a Sony NS900 for a few days and with that one I used component. With the NS900 the picture was awesome both with RGB and component. With the Philips it isn't that great though.

2. Yes, it's quite easy. I guess that, now when I have the procedure down, I could do a convergence adjustment from scratch in about 5 - 10 minutes. The minor adjustments that I needed to do periodically when the set was new took about 1 - 2 minutes to do. The first month you have the set the convergence will drift quite a bit as the set breaks in, but once it’s broken in the convergence will stabilize. I’ve had my TV for 3 months now and haven’t touched the convergence in a month I guess. When the TV is cold the convergence is off and it will take a while for it to align.

3. Yes, now it’s good, but when it was new I had some bowing problems. When I did the convergence adjustment I could see that the grid had some curved lines. So I adjusted the green grid so that the lines became straight and now it looks perfect. When you do a normal convergence adjustment the green shouldn’t be touched as it affects the geometry.

4. I have some minor things that I don’t think are so good. When you mute the TV you will get this message that says “Sound off”. There is no way to get rid of it, and that could cause a burn in if left on too long.

When turning Teletext off, the screen will first split (Teletext on one half of the screen and picture on the other side), then I have to wait a second or 2 and then press the button again to go out to normal mode. I would like to be able to do it with one push of the button.

Also when using component, which is located at Ext4, I have to go all the way through Ext1, Ext2, Ext3 and Ext4 to get there. You need to wait at least a second before going on from Ext1 to Ext2 etc. The TV will not automatically switch to Ext4 when the DVD starts. If you use Ext1, 2 or 3 it will though. After I returned the NS900 I think I found a way to “trick” the TV though. I will besides the component (once I can afford a descent DVD-player) use a scart with composite or s-video to Ext3 (RGB is Ext1), that way when I start the DVD the TV will automatically switch to Ext3 and I will need to push the Ext button only once to get to component at Ext4.

There is no “Perfect Picture” button. If you have a “standard” setting you have to write it down or remember it. Would be better to just push a button and you’re back to you preferences.

That sums up the down points that I have noticed with the TV. But the awesome picture quality and, not to forget, the fact that the screen is free from reflections makes this TV the best you can get. I have seen a few plasma screens at some dealers and they just don’t stand a chance.

5. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply - it is very much appreciated!

I am fairly sure I will try the Tosh, maybe even the new 57WT29 (I think), but I dunno if it will fit through my doors or up my stairs yet lol!

I am so fed up of my Sony CRT - terrible geometry, purity errors and blur on the left side if screen!

Plus, I want bigger than 36" too!

Many thanks again - I think I might order my Tosh now!

One more question: With the new sleeker design, is it possible to rest the centre speaker on top of the set? And do you need to put your DVD player, amp and digibox next to it, since you can't put it underneath due to the integrated speaker?

Thanks!

6. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're very welcome mate! :)

My 50WH18 is 11" deep on top, so it's no problem to put your centre on top of the TV. I have it that way.

I think there is some kind of stand that you can buy with the TV that you can put the TV on top of, and that would give you the required space underneath for your equipment. However the height of the TV is perfect as is. When I sit in my couch I have my eyes exactly in the centre of the screen. And if you put it on one of these stands the sound may seem to go left, up and right instead of left, centre and right.

I have my stuff like amp and DVD player next to the TV.

Good luck with your new TV and plz let me know how you like it once you get it!

7. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will certainly let you know! I am hoping to return my £2000+ Sony CRT TV first, else I will have to find the cash for the Tosh from scratch!

But I am adamant I will get a Tosh asap, and thanks again for the cracking advice - sounds like a fine set!

Will keep you posted!

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Tosh 42WH18B and I love it. I agree with everything said above. These TOSH RPs are fantastic sets. I was quite afraid of this issue of convergence, but now it really is a doddle to do. I have my dvd set through S Video and the picture is great. No complaints at all. Good Luck

9. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what you guys have said I am about ready to buy one !

So good to hear a lot of different people happy with their Tosh sets. Every other thread you go on you find people complaiing about Sony !

To be honest I'll settle for a TV without any major flaws (Idont expect perfection but for 2k I do want to be suitably impressed !)

10. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone,

Just about ready to order the thing and read that many of you have 2 vertical bars visible on dark backgrounds - this is the last thing I wanted to read after my Sony experience. Can anyone tell me more ?

11. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased a Toshiba 42WT29B (latest version after 42WH18B) some three weeks ago now and the picture is nigh on perfect and has been since the set was delivered. I have had no convergence problems - set is as delivered,no adjustments have been necessary except to the usual contrast,brightness,colour etc to my preferrences.

I do not have 2 vertical bars visible on dark backgrounds!

I have a Toshibe SD 220EB DVD player and films played on this player through the RPTV set have been a new experience to me,practically equivalent to being in the cinema without the aggravation of leaving the house.

Cheers,

12. carsten_f

carsten_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware, the Sony RPTVs do not suffer from the same problems as some of the normal Sony TVs.

I personally found the picture quality of the Sony high-end RPTVs with DRC-MF to be superior to the picture quality of the Toshibas.
    The Toshibas, due to their very focused beam and the structure of the front screen perhaps, have a tendency to display horizontal lines in a "jagged" way.

Perhaps due to the higher resolution of DRC-MF, which seems to perform some sort of anti-aliasing, horizontal lines look smoother on the Sony RPTVs.

Take a look at the Sony KP-61PS2 (61"!), which in my view is the RPTV with the best picture quality currently available and compare for yourself!

Regards
    Carsten.

13. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I too like the Sony's with DRC.
    I have the KP44ps2 which I'm about to sell(to get a plasma) and I'm very pleased with the performance.
    Regards

14. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply raffles, didnt know the WT29B had replaced the WH18B - it was only reviewed in Feb 02 - ? - whats the diff ?

15. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know the only difference is that the newer model has the digital channels, thats it!!!

16. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're interested, I'm selling my beloved 50wh18b for £1295. It's only 8 months old and is in perfect condition. Fantastic set and I'm loathed to part with it but I've just bought a new house which requires more like a 28"/32".