exit336

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will start with describing my room setting:
Marantz NR1606 AV Receiver
Panasonic UB820 UHD player
Klipsch 5.1 surround speakers

Now I am planning to start listening to SACD music. And would like to do whats necessary in terms of changing/upgrading/adding to my above setting. I do know that Panasonic UB820 doesnt play SACD, but I like it as a 4K movie player and would like to keep it. For the Marantz NR1606 I am not sure if its compatible with SACD or not.

Appreciating your suggestions.

Would the Audiolab 6000CDT CD transport be enough for me if I hook it to the AV system, or other changes are required?

You'd require a player that can play SACD discs (the SACD layer) and output the resulting 5.1 audio as LPCM via HDMI.

The most elegant solution would be to replace your UB820 with a universal UHD Blu-ray player (look at Sony and Pioneer), but if you’re set on keeping the UB820, then have a look at second hand universal DVD (later models with HDMI output) or Blu-ray players.

As pointed out you will need a universal player that can play SACD. Panasonic do not make universal players with 4K. Pioneer have the LX500, which I own as is a pretty good performer with SACD and 4K.

Your alternative is to look at a used blu ray universal player such as the Pioneer UDP LX58 or Denon DBT 3313. If you are just interested in stereo SACD then a standalone SACD/CD player may suffice.

If you are just interested in stereo SACD then a standalone SACD/CD player may suffice.

If that’s the case then someone has an Arcam CDS27 on the classifieds at a very reasonable price.

You could also get a Sony UBPX800 UHD Blu-ray player as this supports SACD and DVD Audio, plus it has much greater file support than the Panasonic players. (The lack of SACD, DVD Audio and multiple file support is the only thing that prevents Panasonic from being a no brainer)

Bill

Thanks everyone.
I get that I will need to buy a separate SACD player.
But before doing this and paying money, I would like to know the following:

1) Will the Marantz NR1606 be capable of handling the SACD format, without compromising quality? I am fine to upgrade the AV system if need be. ( I read somewhere that DAC is required and the marantx NR1606 doesnt have this capability). Just trying to get things right

2) I do know that Klipsch are capable speakers, but to get the best sound, do I need a 7.1 setting ( or 5.1) or this doesn't matter when listening to SACD. (I will be listening to classical music mostly).

Thanks everyone.

1) Will the Marantz NR1606 be capable of handling the SACD format, without compromising quality? I am fine to upgrade the AV system if need be. ( I read somewhere that DAC is required and the marantx NR1606 doesnt have this capability). Just trying to get things right

2) I do know that Klipsch are capable speakers, but to get the best sound, do I need a 7.1 setting ( or 5.1) or this doesn't matter when listening to SACD. (I will be listening to classical music mostly).
Avoid s/h SACD players for best sound & video buy Sony UBP -X1000ES if still available, Read Steve May review Inside CI ,the only accurate review. This player unlike the cheaper X800 features a 32 bit Dac & better power supply,sounds sublime real high end sound. Whilst I have not tried the Marantz NR1606 it should be able to handle SACD . However my experience is that I do not like MArantz/ Denon AVRs higher end , sound OK but with poor connectivity if using external power amp.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

You will be able to play SACD via the Marantz. The DSD format associated with SACD is decoded by the player, hence SACD player, converted and output to the amp. This can either be by HDMI to multi channel amps or as analogue to standard stereo amps. You can get players, Pioneer generally have this ability, that output both HDMI and analogue.

Some receivers have DSD decoding onboard for decoding hi-res files but that facility is not needed for an SACD player.

SACD - just like any audio Source you can spend £200 or £200k playing it back, at what point on that price spectrum do you ‘compromise’ the Sound quality is anyone’s guess.

Marantz AVR - if you enjoy it now with CD, DVD, BD, streaming etc chances are you can stick with it and try it with an SACD Player.

DAC (in the AVR) - is not required if you set the SACD Player to Output LPCM via HDMI.

Improvements - could be with your Room, Layout or AV Hardware.

I would try an SACD Player and then look at which areas of your ‘system’ could be improved upon and how much it will cost.

Joe

I would listen the SACD in it's original format, ie 2.0 stereo or 5.1 as the mix is intended. There are lot of old SACDs that actually have come from old quad recordings and are 4.1 with the centre channel being mute. Most of my SACD collection are actually just 2.0 offerings and I play them on a standalone 2.0 player and stereo amp. I even prefer listening to discs that have both 5.1 and 2.0 layers in 2.0.

The NR1606 AV receiver hasn't a DAC able to handle 5.1 DSD so it will decode the DSD stream and convert it to 6 channel PCM prior to it being sent to the receiver's DAC. If listening to SACDs then you'd get the best from them if setting the receiver to a direct mode as opposed to applying any upmixing to them. This would give you either a 2 channel stereo or 5.1 depending upon the disc?

I have got the Sony UBP 800 on my A/V Rig, and aside from playing SACD very well, I rate it with 4kUHD too. When I got mine, I moved it's predecessor, a Cambridge Audio Azure BDP 651 to my stereo set up so I can still play SACD's thru the stereo. It sounds ace through Arcam A85! Neither machine cost a fortune! :smashin::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom