I want this game BUT

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not used my ps3 in 18 months i dont like the ps3 pad and i have not really been following on whats going on in GT5 apart from being delayed every month LOL

My question is there is going to be alot of harcore players with racing wheels ( i have no room moving out soon) i wont be playing the single player of this i will just be going online. I mainly play with manual gears and assists off and i am pretty good at racing games had a few lap times in the top 50 on forza 3 (with pad).

Now i did have gran turismo prologue and i liked it but i could not adjust to the menu and the hardcore settings.

Can someone give me some light that am going to be ok with this game and the pad?

Also i will need some friends to play my ps3 is in its box atm but will be sorting it on the weekend i have a headset and all that and my PSN is below

Now i did have gran turismo prologue and i liked it but i could not adjust to the menu and the hardcore settings.

Can someone give me some light that am going to be ok with this game and the pad?

Not sure what you mean by these 'hardcore' settings.

I played GT5P successfully with the pad for ages. It being so good made me get a wheel.

GT is great with the pad but even better with a wheel.

Stop worrying and just enjoy.

(If you can do well in Forza you'll be fine with GT. I've done a couple of World #1 times on GT5P but rarely get a top 50 in Forza.)

I suppose its the same as any game that comes out, there will always be an element of hardcore players that take it really seriously. Most people won't be in that bracket so it should still be fun for your average gamer. Like yourself I haven't used my PS3 much lately but hopefully things will change as of next week although I'm still not one for 5 hour sessions and the like. I'll definitely be doing the majority of the single player game at first as I need to get used to using the wheel again lol.

Stick your name on the PSN ID thread and you'll be good to go. :thumbsup:

will just add one thing, in order to be good online youll need to buy and tune cars, to do this your going to have to play the single player in one shape or form

Got one myself today, never bought one before due to no space but this just sits on my lap perfectly and no pedals suits me as then it would move around due to operating pedals.

Great stuff aswell after less than an hour i was beating all my lap times by large margins in GT5p. Would seriously recommend it for teh price.

Does it have shift buttons and where the acceleration button?

Does it have shift buttons and where the acceleration button?

Two padels on the back are accelerator and brake. R1 and L1 are at the side of the other buttons and the d pad and is where my thumbs rest when holding so have set them to the shift buttons.

Two padels on the back are accelerator and brake. R1 and L1 are at the side of the other buttons and the d pad and is where my thumbs rest when holding so have set them to the shift buttons.

You using manual? whats your thoughts? am thinking of getting this now LOL.

You using manual? whats your thoughts? am thinking of getting this now LOL.

Yeah thought I would start with manual as I may as well get used to it at the same time as the wheel. Works fine for me and finally managed to get gold in one of the time challenges that I haven't been able to do no matter what I tried using the pad.

Yeah thought I would start with manual as I may as well get used to it at the same time as the wheel. Works fine for me and finally managed to get gold in one of the time challenges that I haven't been able to do no matter what I tried using the pad.

Nice one pal i might get this :smashin:

Got myself one yesterday. Wanted a Force GT, but could not justify spending £80+ on something that I may/ may not use very often, or even like. The above suits me fine for now, and if I like it that much, then I can justify the extra for the GT or higher.

Only had a few laps so far, have not tried manual yet and it takes some getting used to coming from a DS, but am sure it will be worth it!

Despite spending years playing the old GT's, with the d-pad for steering and X to accelerate - after getting used to sticks and triggers for driving on the 360 I just couldn't adjust to driving game with the DS3 pad. I tried and failed with GT5P to the point where it wasn't enjoyable - and after playing Ferrari Challenge a few months ago, the DS3 was actually gave me pain and the triggers (even with trigger extensions) are a bit of a joke - I didn't really have any intention of getting a wheel, until my sister asked if I wanted the DFGT for my birthday so I raided my schrapnel jar to get a wheelstandpro to go with it - great piece of kit but I've still not got fully adjusted to it yet, nor found a good seating/setup position.

You'll definately be faster with a wheel, but thats not say if you're playing with a pad you'll be behind all the wheel users - if you can get high ranks on Forza 3's leaderboards you're obviously no slouch at racing games!

I would have thought L1 and R1 are logical for gear shifting as they are separated out. The d-pad + face buttons can be reserved for various adjustments and tuning changes. What do you have set to them then?

I would get the GT wheel but that and pro stand and no space or time just does not cut it. Am moving out next march so will get the stand pro and a better wheel then. I have the 360 wheel but i was faster with the pad.

I would have thought L1 and R1 are logical for gear shifting as they are separated out. The d-pad + face buttons can be reserved for various adjustments and tuning changes. What do you have set to them then?

L1 and R1 :D i was just trying to explain where on teh wheel they for Se777en:)

Just ordered from maplin on ebay should get on tues :smashin:

I didn't really find myself being any faster on my DFGT/WSP on GT5P than I did on a pad, but it was a lot more fun doing similar lap times. However, F1 2010 I found to be undrivable on a pad, & ended up facing the wrong way at almost every corner. Much better on the wheel though.

How stable is this wheel from maplin when used on your lap or would it need to be secured to a table?

How stable is this wheel from maplin when used on your lap or would it need to be secured to a table?

Quite stable for me in my lap but can depend on what trousers your wearing, jeans are about the best.

Hahaha they'll be GT5 special trousers next- Shave .5 of a second of a lap with maplin RACE MONKEY trousers- lol

Seriously though, I thought your thighs sat on part of the wheel set up for stability? Or is that wrong?

If you sit on it that would be better, used to have to xbox wheel which you placed on your lap and was hard to control when things got frantic!

I ended up making a table for it to be secured on which was much better.

I've just taken delivery of this (thanks Maplin) and was surprised as I thought it would be slightly heavier.

However, having had it sat on my lap for five minutes it feels okay, and I reckon only the most frantic / overzealous wheel-locks would make it fall off your lap.

Will give it a go with Prologue in a mo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom