I want the easiest way to copy dvds

L

lcarter

I have tried DVD-Shrink but it looks complicated to me - what I would like is AN IDIOT PROOF way of making a copy of MY OWN dvd's (even the encrypted/copy protected ones), I am an avid movie buff and am watching them all the time, so would just like to have a spare copy. So ideally what I want is to put the DVD in the player, put the empty DVD into the recorder and just click burn. Is it possible?????? - If it is how.

Any answers on a postcard please - only kidding (about the postcard)

:smashin:

DVD shrink is one of the more easier ones.

Its never going to be simple because writeable DVD's will only hold 4.7gb. Most DVD's contain more than this. Thats why DVDshrink is called DVDshrink.

Spend 30 minutes messing around with DVDshrink backing up a DVD to your hardrive and you will soon have it sorted.

Tks for your replies

Looks like I will have to try and work out DVD Shrink. I think I will have to use DVD Decrypter too.

Originally posted by lcarter
I have tried DVD-Shrink but it looks complicated to me - what I would like is AN IDIOT PROOF way of making a copy of MY OWN dvd's (even the encrypted/copy protected ones), I am an avid movie buff and am watching them all the time, so would just like to have a spare copy. So ideally what I want is to put the DVD in the player, put the empty DVD into the recorder and just click burn. Is it possible?????? - If it is how.

Any answers on a postcard please - only kidding (about the postcard)

:smashin:

Try CloneDVD - it's extensively menu'ed and point/click. I've not really used these extensively, but found CloneDVD easier. I'd guess it's less powerful overall, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue :)

I agree

So long as you're using DVDShrink v3.05 or later, it doesn't really get much easier.

Read the guides!!

dr_m

Is it possible to stream the backed up data to a remote dvd recorder. ie Philips dvd+rw 75 recorder? Theres a firewire port on the front of the player.

ch

i use intervideo dvd copy. once you have made a 'back-up' on your hdd then it takes just 3 clicks of the mouse to get it onto a dvd r! simple.

Try 321studio's dvdXcopy Xpress. It's not free but works every time. Worth every penny/cent!!!

It automatically compresses dual layer DVDs down to a single layer, 4.7gig!!!

I'm sure they offer a trail version, give it a try.

Before you ask, I use a 106 pioneer and ZeroDefect 1x disc.

surrey lad

321Studios do not offer trial versions of their softwares. ;)

XPress is used and appreciated by many, but is in my opinion far from being flexible enough.
It sure is newbie-friendly though. ;)

Originally posted by surrey lad
It automatically compresses dual layer DVDs down to a single layer, 4.7gig!!!

I struggle to get anything over 4.3gig on a disc - how does it fit 4.7gig ?

Originally posted by lynx
I struggle to get anything over 4.3gig on a disc - how does it fit 4.7gig ?

That's media counting rules.
Computers use binary system to count, media maufacturers don't. As a result 4.7Gb is reported as roughly 4.37Gb on your computer.

Originally posted by Cool-hand
Is it possible to stream the backed up data to a remote dvd recorder. ie Philips dvd+rw 75 recorder? Theres a firewire port on the front of the player.

ch

The firewire ports on DVD Recorders only accept video streams, NOT files, so you are effectively using the firewire port in a similar fashion to their analogue inputs. You cannot author a DVD and send its file structure into the recorder via this port, only to a firewire DVD drive (Usually an IDE drive with converter). You would have to export the video from an application such as Pinnacle Studio or similar.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom