• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I want the biggest drive possible - Which box and HDD to buy?

imprator

Established Member
I have a Pace HD box fitted with a 1 Tb drive. I would like to have more capacity. I would appreciate any advice regarding which box can accept the largest drive, and which drive to fit.

I have upgraded boxes before so have an idea of the mechanics involved, and I believe that ExPVR is the transfer software to use?

Sorry if this is a question asked many times before. I have searched but can't readily find the answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

logiciel

If by "box" you're referring to Sky PVRs, there's only one current version, with a 2tB drive.
You might find used earlier Samsung and Amstrad models with 500gB drives.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
The largest size HDD that will work with the latest firmware on the current boxes is 2TB.

mrmt32

Established Member
All of the hd boxes except the Thompson will accept drives up to 2TB (The MBR partitioning system does not support partitions with a greater size than this). I normally recommend the WD20EURS as this disk has been the most widely used.

Sky now only provide 3 models of sky boxes: the DRX595, the DRX890 and the DRX895. The DRX595 does not have PVR features, the DRX890 has a 500GB disk (250GB user) and the newer DRX895s have a 2TB disk (1.5TB user I think). All of these boxes are sky branded (formally Amstrad).

If you are happy with how your current pace box is operating, then you could just upgrade it's disk to a 2TB one. You would also get slightly more space as the pace box reserves less for on demand showcase.

crockett

Established Member
I would recommend you go for an 890. It only has the 250GB reserved so you will maximise the space for recordings. Its a lot faster than the Pace in general use and will support all the latest software features. It is also less limited to the number of recordings you can make. I switched from a Pace 2TB to a 890 when I hit a hard limit on the number of recordings which prevented series links from working until recordings were deleted. You can pick 890's up very cheaply on eBay these days...

imprator

Established Member
Thank you guys for the advice – it is everything I wanted to know.

I have decided to follow crockett's suggestion to get a DRX890 box. I will upgrade it to 2Tb using the Western Digital drive.suggested by mrmt32. I ordered the hardware today.

Thanks again. Great stuff.

logiciel

If you have a Sky subscription you could get the normal 2tB PVR from them for less than the cost of a drive.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
If you have a Sky subscription you could get the normal 2tB PVR from them for less than the cost of a drive.

But would end up with 250GB less personal planner space.

logiciel

A certain member would agree with me that 1.5tB is still more than enough.;)

logiciel

Oui.

logiciel

Sure, what have you done wrong that calls for it?

oioldman

Established Member
old thread alert - but has relevance as could not see on a newer thread. apologies if i missed a newer thread

Hello,
Sky gave me free a DRX890 which has a 500gb in it. so leaving 250gb for my own use.
If a DRX895 has a 2tb in it. so leaving 1.5tb for my own use.

This is 250gb x3 if my maths is any good (usually isn't)
I am not sure how this leaves me with 250gb less as noted by dave.
Could someone explain please.

thanks.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The 890 has 250GB reserved, in firmware, for Anytime.
The 895 has 500GB reserved, in firmware, for Anytime. (1.5GB of personal space)

Putting a 2GB drive in a 890 will give you 1.75GB of personal space)

(Totally impractical from a viewing standpoint.)

oioldman

Established Member
Thanks Steve.

One last thing; why do the different boxes need different amounts of space for the Anytime info?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Gives the viewer a bigger choice of things to watch instantly without downloading?

oioldman

Established Member
Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom