1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want sky after 9 years but they make me pay more!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Vipen, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    i left sky for ntl 9 years ago because i wanted the all-in-one package of internet, tv and phone. after many problems with ntl i wanted to get sky+ but they're taking the p*ss.

the bloke went through all the gunf and told me the price £149 for sky+ box which i agreed to and it was all set up. then he asked if i had been an existing customer and i thought i was just on analogue. he then told me i was on digital and the price would then be £270.00.

unless i find my old sky box. aaargh. i left it at that.

should i try and find an old sky box? any suggestions where to look??

2. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a confusion over the multiroom offer. Multiroom is about £150 and involves Sky putting in a new Sky+ box as your main box and then using your existing Sky Digital box in another room - and your being able to use it independently of the Sky+ box. It looks like a cheaper deal but you have to pay an extra £10 a month for it - so over 1 year it is just the same as ordinary Sky+ for existing Customers. Go over 1 year and you are paying more. £150 up front then £10 a month - year 1 = £270.

Sky+ for an existing Customer - with just the one Sky+ box installed - is about £260 - and if you do a package for £30 a month then you won't have to pay any further charges. Pay less than £30 a month and they will add £10 a month to your subscription for the Sky+ service.

If they thought you were a new Customer - then they would heavily subsidise the purchase - and the box (just one box) would cost £99 including installation.

So - from your post I am assuming that you told them you were an existing Customer - be it not for 9 years - and wanted what appeared to be the cheapest deal. But was it?

Roger

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Surely you know if you had SKY digital:)
    If it was 9 years ago when you cancelled (SKY D launched in 98) then you must have been on the analogue service and as such would qualify for the subsidised "new customer" discounts for SKY D or SKY+.

4. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    well i can't remember yesterday let alone 9 years ago. anyway, the question was analogue or digital and i didn't know.

so maybe it was less than 9 years ago. apparantly i had digital anyway and the then missus must have binned the sky box.

i do need multiroom actually, that's what i went into. still can't work what to do but i know i don't want to pay £270. maybe it'll come down in time.

to me though it's one big ripoff because as i understand you don't actually own the sky+ box anyway. is this true? ah well, i'll just have to try and get an ntl engineer out to fix what i have. another hour waiting on the phone :rolleyes:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Do you recall if you watched any of the BBC channels or Ch4?
    If so then you did have SKY D since those channels were never on SKY analogue:)

You own any SKY hardware you get from them, either a "free" digibox for signing up as a new customer or when buying a SKY+. The downside is that like other consumer products outside the 12 month warranty you are liable for any repair fees but you can sell the hardware after you cancel.
    Which does make the idea of the missus binning a STB worth £100+ (at the time) a bit dubious:)

6. Mr Kennedy

Mr Kennedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Are you and the Missus Married? If not get here to sign up in here name as a New customer?

7. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried this. It appears they cross reference names and addresses so be aware. If not married then you're okay.

Vipen:

My situation was similar to yours. Moved from Sky to ntl and went back to Sky after 2 years. I paid £149 for Sky+ (inc. Install') and multi-room. I didn't have a 2nd box (binned mine too!) so I bought one from "The" well known auction site for £50. However I have seen posts very recently on this subject (other threads) with similar stories where they have actually (or claim to have) managed to get the £149 reduced to the £99 deal (that new customers get). So keep on at them, grind them down. You could get it all for £149 (including a 2nd box).

Where there's a will there's a way!

Good Luck

8. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Getting the £149 deal reduced to the £99 deal isn't a claim, I got my sky+ box at that price last october by ringing cancellations.