1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want Rainbows on DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GrahamC, May 9, 2003.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi all,

I have a demo of the Sharp Z90 DLP pj in the morning (short notice I know ) can anybody suggest a movie scene that is a good at showing up the rainbow effect on DLP pj,

thanks.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    "For the Love of the Game" - there's a panning shot across a black & white scoreboard about 2/3 of the way through the film (IIRC). Looks like a disco dance-floor if you can see rainbows!

Sorry I can't check and give you the exact timecode before tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a laptop and draw yourself a black background with a few white squares placed at random around it. Connect it up and display your test pattern.

Now flick your eyes around and the white squares will now be a colour, your eyes will flick faster than the colour wheel is spinning so your brain doesn't get a chance to intergrate all 4 segments into one.

It's not a major hassle though, and to be honest it isn't something you would really notice if you get a good projector.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Gladiator - the scenes with flickering candles are meant to be good for rainbows apparently.

I don't see them myself, and I don't bother trying just in case I start seeing them. :)

Gary.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Futurama: Series 1: Episode 1: Space Pilot 3000.

Good scrolling stars at the start in the arcade game.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes see rainbows on a sunny day after a shower of rain :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Can't really help with any good test scenes though - LCD for me :clap:

7. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see rainbows. :clown:

8. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Matrix elevator scene - I saw the rainbows VERY clearly on a Yamaha £6500 DLP pj (Don't know model number - sorry)

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks everybody, I have Gladiator and Matrix so will take them with me.

Once again thanks for the help.:smashin:

10. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "can anybody suggest a movie scene that is a good at showing up the rainbow effect on DLP pj"

The Wizard of Oz (when Judy Garland sings 'over the Rainbow'
    There's also a mid sixties musical/film called 'Finnegans Rainbow'

These could be of help.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Not bad but don't give up the day job :nono: :D

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well just got back from my demo and first thing for me to say is great looking machine and very quiet. This is the first pj that I have demoed so I am trying to keep things in perspective and not get bowled over with image size, which was a lot bigger than I will be using. The image used was about 7ft wide and I will probably only be able to use a 6ft diagonal image. Black levels are very good as is the general colour rendering of the Sharp Z90e.

I understood at the beginning the nature of the rainbow effect but was surprised at the actual effect on screen. After a full hour of demo I only managed to see this rainbow effect once on this machine. A scene from Jurassic Park III were helicopters are ferrying supplies into the island showed a slight multi colouring around the sky bourn copters and objects. The effect looks a little like a RPTV that has not been properly converged but only on items in the picture and not the whole image. Try as I might I could not find more, even on about a dozen other scenes that I took with me including Matrix, Gladiator, First Contact, LOTR, Star Wars and others.

All in all a very informative morning and this pj is easily good enough to remain on my list. I will take a look at the Panasonic machine and the Sanyo before making up my mind though to see if a good LCD panel can mach up. This little jaunt help me to decide one thing if nothing else and that is that a Plasma screen is not what I want as the desire is for a cinema style show as set against impressive tv style show.

While I was in the shop I was drawn to a Warfdale Evo 30 five speaker set up but did not have time to get to involved but its something I will look into at another time. Talk about a kid in a sweet shop. :blush:

Anyway thanks for all the suggestion and help.

:smashin: