I want HD on my XboxMC - tips please :)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Waynej, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I just want you to get an understanding of what I want to achieve before going into my current setup info.

I have my own games/media room and we now have a HDTV in the living room... I was considering picking up another Xbox 360 console for the living room to stream media (primarily xvid/divx files, music, photos etc) for the rest of the household to benefit from as I'm the only real gamer in the house, so I don;t see a need for an Xbox 360.

After much thought I figured I may as well shift the old softmodded Xbox into the living room which has XBMC and works fine for what I want it to do. The only problem now is the high defintion. Currently it is in my games/media room connected by composite so it looks very poor.

Last time I checked these official ms component HD cables were very difficult to come by, I was wondering if that has changed. I realise they are not on sale in the UK so importing is the only option, if this is available I;d appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: Assuming I can easily find the required cable, last time I checked I'm sure I read about some software which is needed to turn your Xbox to 720p/1080i etc - Enigmah or something I think it was called... I can't remember properly.

2. Chunder

Chunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    There are other component cables available; there's a few options listed in one of the other recent threads...

Edit: [here

As you've already got XBMC running, you should be able to use and FTP (file transfer protocol) application to connect to the box from a computer; you'll need to get hold of (ideally) the latest version of XBMC, and the Enigmah videomode switch application - and use FTP to copy them over. Again, this is covered in some other threads around here...

3. Blandhino

Blandhino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    While the original xbox is just fine and dandy for viewing SD material it struggles with HD...It just doesn't have the processing or graphical grunt for it.

I have a number of HD files (avi & mkv) and the xbox will play only one of the HD avi files smoothly, the other HD avi files do play but they are very stuttery particularly when there is a lot of action on screen.

None of the mkv files I have will play at all, although XBMC will play lower res mkv files.

Although after you enable the HD settings it can upscale SD material to 720p/1080i. However I prefer to output at 480p and let my TV do the scaling.