1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want good sound, but am under pressure to downsize from floorstanders!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by barnsley boy, Oct 12, 2004.

1. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected to my separates system a pair of Mission 757 floorstanders, which I'm very pleased with, great detail. My wife would really like me to swap them for something very small. What hasn't helped is that in certain rooms I have a QED Multiroom system, with ceiling speakers, not very hifi (apart from the Linn speakers in the Kitchen!), but very aesthetic. I had considered the B**E Acoustimas (sic?) but having reviewed recent threads it seems that the considered opinion is they're not up to much. What I want is the performance of the 757's but much smaller. As I've also just purchased a decent 100Hz TV (component etc), I am thinking that I can win brownie points and get 5.1 to boot!!

Now I know this might not be possible. Two routes I am considering is smaller units such as KEF Eggs or Gallo Nucleus Micro or similar. The other option is to install wall and ceiling speakers. I was lucky that the original system was installed before the walls went up, therefore no mess or hassle. I will consider chasing walls but only if the result is worth it, sound wise.

Does any one have any thoughts/experience with either the small speakers or wall/ceiling speakers that can offer any advice?

Thanks

BB

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in the same boat. I auditioned the Gallos, but was underwhelmed - it may have been the sub, but they sounded woofly and weak in the centre. Like teh shape, though, so I'm now looking at Orb Audio's speakers... You have to ship from the States, but they seem like good guys... Couple them with the SVS PB10 sub, perhaps... (Or the B&W bowling ball sub, for aesthetic reasons!)

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,223
    Whilst still not aesthetically perfect the M&K range can do huge soundstages from very small speakers and should always be considered.

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    budget?

sub or no sub?

consider divorce?

5. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look at this artcoustic and this artcoustic2

These are excellent speakers and will also get you stacks of brownie points....and 5.1 :smashin:

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Amen to that. I had the same problem and listened to several different sets of speakers including KEF eggs and Cabasse Ki. Underwhelmed by them all compared to M&Ks which are stunning.

Bought 3 x k17s and 2 x k4s. The wall brackets supplied with them virtually mount flush to the wall so that when mounted on underneath my plasma with depth of the speaker was almost the same as that of the plasma.

They're not the prettiest speakers but in the gray with the titanium grills they look ok. The k4s are pretty tiny as well. Bought a V851 sub in cherry to match flooring. so it all looks pretty neat.

Just need to chase everything into the walls to tidy it all up and finish it off!

7. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can vouch for them being good to deal with...have had some for a week or so, took about 5 days to get here, and they put a reduced value on them so duty etc was only 40 odd quid. Running them with a Kefpsw2500 and they sound pretty good to me, although my system isn't properly set up yet as I can't find an SPL meter in stock anywhere. They probably are'nt even run in yet and I have'nt had much of a chance to give them a proper listen, so difficult to recommend them at this stage...but initial impressions are of a clear and detailed sound....and they certainly look good :D

You can also send'em back within 30 days for a refund if you don't like them.

8. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would try the Kef 9000s or if you can afford a bit more space Kef xq1

Kid Rock

9. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Sulis, Tons of Fun, & kwijibo. Sniper, budget is flexible, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k, excl any necessary 5.1 boxes. Divorce seems a bit extreme, I'd rather spend the dosh!! The artcoustic look interesting, does anyone have any experience of these? The other aspect is ceiling/wall mounters. I am impressed with a pair of Linn speakers I have in my kitchen, but looking at possible wall mounted speakers, I am not confident that they can offer any competition to some of the speakers mentioned above. Any experience?

Thanks,

BB

10. barnsley boy

barnsley boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Sulis, Tons of Fun, & kwijibo. Sniper, budget is flexible, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k, excl any necessary 5.1 boxes. Divorce seems a bit extreme, I'd rather spend the dosh!! The artcoustic look interesting, does anyone have any experience of these? The other aspect is ceiling/wall mounters. I am impressed with a pair of Linn speakers I have in my kitchen, but looking at possible wall mounted speakers, I am not confident that they can offer any competition to some of the speakers mentioned above. Any experience?

Thanks,

BB

11. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I see you point on the divorce - noted.

As for in-walls, I cannot quote my direct experience as I have none - but I've read reviews on the M&K SW85 and most said that properly setup they would sound pretty much like S85 - which (having read some review on that too) seems to be a superb speaker! But is out of production.

I've also messaged M&K asking about the possiblity of mounting the SW85s in a custom built cabinet which would house the 3 fronts (this would be an 11 foot wide piece of furniture sitting under the screen with shelves/cupboards!) - and they said that it will work and results would be good (given I use some foam inside each speaker location & create a volume of approx 1 cubic foot!) - tought I'd let you know.

Oh - SW85 cost £300 a piece.

12. Drew.Ri

Drew.Ri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grif, how are the Orbs sounding now that you have had time to run them in and get the setup right?

Two questions about the Orbs. First, did you get their sub? If so, how do you like it?

Second, have you gotten to compare the Orbs with the AG micros or A'divas, or the Hsu VT-12s? Probably haven't, but thought I would throw that question out anyway.

Hope you are pleased with the Orbs. I think they look great and am seriously considering them, just not sure how good they sound or if it is worthwhile to stend a little extra cash for style.

Thanks.

13. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It's way over your budget, but look at Meridian DSP33's. Only 15" high by 6" wide, on paper they deliver 150 watts.

HOWEVER - because the built-in amplification happens after the active crossover (and not a passive crossover before amplification in conventional audio systems), in reality they deliver an astounding 535 watts!

Oh, you'll also need a digital pre-amplifier, such as Meridian G91, or digital surround controller, such as Meridian G68, to control them.

But, wow, what a system!