1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want DTS, but have some questions!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by domp, Mar 24, 2002.

1. domp

domp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I'm new to this so bear with me! I can get 5.1 through my TV (it has an onboard decoder) but want to upgrade to DTS so I figure I need an AV Receiver/amp. If the reciever is plugged into my DVD player (as opposed to my TV) will I still get surrond sound on normal TV broadcasts? What is the difference between plugging the reciever into my TV as opposed to into my amp. I mailnly want amplified sound for movies - I can live without it for TV (although I would want rear sound on normal TV programs)

Also, I dont want the clutter of a center speaker - what happens if I omit this from the system - will the centre speaker on my TV carry on as it is at the moment to compensate?

Cheers

Dom

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You will need the separate amp as you describe; use the digital out on your DVD player to a digital in on your amp. Run a stereo phono cable from the TV to the amp to receive TV broadcast audio and process it into Surround Sound (Dolby Pro Logic II etc).
    You can get away without a centre speaker (the sound will come from the L&R speakers as a monaural sound) but I wouldn't advise it, especially as you are upgrading to hear dts!

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,840
    To be frankly honest with you, unless you intend on going the whole way and getting a 5.1 amp and speaker system of decent quality, then you will not get any benefit from having dts.

Have a think about what it is you want to achieve and then decide your upgrade route, or leave things as they are.

Have a visit to your Local Richer Sounds, £600-800 will get you a very good quality and up to date system.

Do a search of this forum regarding budget and newbie set ups to get some ideas.

And have fun, I bet once you hear a good system you will upgrade!

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the biggest arguments on this forum, have concerned whether DTS even sounds any different from DD - even on an expensive top of the range system. Many people believe it's just a bit louder in the surrounds. IMHO you'd be wasting your dosh.