I want a wireless network....

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by BOUMSONG, Oct 23, 2004.

1. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    So i can have wireless xbox, pc and ps2...

Ps2 isn't that important though but with raw v smackdown out soon i would like it wireless if possible.

As i understand it i need a wireless router, a gaming adapter and wireless adapter for my pc...

I was told it can cost £150 though!

Any cheaper ways to have wireless live and pc gaming?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    where are the consoles in relation to net connection and PC, hardwiring consoles and having PC wireless is cheaper £90 ish minimum budget...
    And ADSL or Cable broadband?

3. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Everything is in my room.

My rooms fairly small or at least it looks it with all my stuff crammed into it. My PC is very close to my xbox - they are so close that i can connect my x port cable to my ps2 without moving it. Im on Pipex 512k.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  5. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The reason i want to go wireless is the phone point i currently use is in the next room and requires a long internet cable. I would need one in my room and i dont know how to install phone points.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    buy a lead from argos for £5????????????

7. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    What do you mean a lead?

I need a phone socket in my room, i would have more chance singing the Russian anthem backwards than installing one.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  9. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thats what i want to get rid of - a massive internet extension cable...

And how can i forget about a network of any description? You dont need to fit a phone socket for a wireless network...

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well in that case its gonna cost £150+ could "perhaps" use wireless router and the a wireless bridge and 4 port hub but running a proper phonlie extension or paying for one to be run will be cheaper and more reliable....

11. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ok thanks for your help.

People keep tripping over the connection etc and its a pain in the ass when your on xbox live etc because in some games you get massive penalties and lose some stats. Also pisses me off when im downloading something and never get back to peak speed. I could in theory take up the carpets and run the extension cord underneath but that would be a bit of a hastle.

Would BT install a phone socket or is there a high callout charge even for something as mundane as that?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    It's simple. Find BT's incomer and look at the colour code that they connect the White cord to, it should be Orange and White.To this piggy-back their connection and drop the tail into your room and connect Blue/White tracer (ter 2) and White/Blue tracer (ter 5) to terminals 2 & 5, it doesnt matter which as they are not polarity sensitive. This assumes you are using a standard modern telephone system. Easy.

14. BOUMSONG

BOUMSONG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You dont follow me - im sure once you know what to do its easy but i dont have a clue.

Im not bothered about what wires connect to what yet lol.

I dont even know how i get to the wires or anything!

To explain better its just like if someone asked me how to fit a heatsink or graphics card, i would say its **** easy just plug it into your mobo....But they might not even know how to open up their ATX! Well thats like me i dont even know how to begin let alone get to the guts of the job................

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well i have linked to two kits that include all you need and tools instructions i am sure there was a time you had no idea what a mobo was or what a heat sink was or what the bloody silver/copper paste was for......

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    Can you not just buy an extension socket kit for your phone line. This is usually just an adaptor that plugs into your existing phone line (no wiring required) that ends in a second box you mount on the wall or a female socket hanging loose. Then just pin the cable along the skirting board using cable clips (some kits come with them). Another option is a temporary extension cord you can run out only when you need it.

This way you can use the router closer to your kit and negate the need for a long network cable.

Failing this if you want to avoid long runs period then you'll have to go wireless but you'll need a wireless router/modem , wireless network cards for your PC(s) and wireless bridges for your consoles. This will be more expensive obviously. I wouldn't guarantee that a wireless solution would work 100% in the next room. It will probably be fine but it will depend on your walls and distances.

You could go with a wireless router/modem that supports hard connections also and gradually migrate over to the wireless nics and bridges as funds allow.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    There's no reason to have a wireless connection unless you are using laptops or you have the different machines in different rooms of your home (as hardwiring would mean loads of wiring to be done). All you need to do (as has been explained is get an ADSL modem/router & a telephone extension, plug the extension into your phone socket in the other room, drill a small hole in the wall, put the extension wire through, connect it to an ADSL modem/router and then connect your PC & consoles to the modem router. Job done!

The only thing that you need to be able to do is drill a hole in the wall which (depending on if it's a stud wall or brick wall) may require you to get hold of a long masonery bit. Anyone can use a drill and don't worry about any holes in the walls as they can be filled if you decide to remove the wire at some later date. If you don't want to drill a hole in the wall then just buy some cable tacks from B&Q (the hemispherical white plastic hoops with a nail in them) and tack the wire around the skirting board so that noone will trip over it.

A router will cost about £30, extension about £5. :thumbsup:

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I just hardwired a house for 4 (3 PC and an Xbox) off ntl broadband for £34.50 all in....... drilled one whole and cut a bit out of 2 doors..... It is even easier in your case and all you need is drill one 6mmm hole...........

19. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    if you are determined to utilise a wireless network, you will need to start with one of these, cost £80.02, this will plug into an adsl filter and then into your bt phone socket to give you your broadband signal, for the pc you will need one of these, cost £34.80, this will go into a free pci slot in your pc, and must be on the same subnet of the wag54g, ie the ip address must be in the same range.

OK, so far so good, you've bought the two items above, got them configured properly and can successfully access the internet via your pc, next up to connect your xbox you will need one of these, cost £58.53, this device can only be configured via a cat5 cable connection, so you will need a network adapter in your pc, these can be picked up for around a tenner.

once the game adapter is configured you plug it into your xbox, configure the xbox with a dynamic ip address, and of you go.

hope this makes sense, and is of some benefit to you.