I want a sub I can FEEL

mod.silver@gmai

Standard Member
Reaction score
For starters, hi everyone. I've been looking at a lot of threads on this forum for a while now, I've just never decided to sign up until now!

I've got 2 generic floor standing speakers, they sound a LOT nicer than I thought they would when I first got hold of them, and are fairly bassy, but now I'm looking for something a little more than what I've got.

Each speaker has:
30W max RMS (sucks I know)
1x dome tweeter
2x 6" pulp mid-bass drivers

I love bass.. I like to feel a song.. I like getting to the point where it feels harder to breathe because you're in the presence of so much bass. :p

I feel like I'm on an impossible mission here though. My amp is terrible, it has a max of 15W per channel. It still manages to give me a fair amount of bass, but I'm certain I'm missing out on a lot of the lower frequencies in songs.

I'd like to keep my amp as it provides sufficient treble and mid-bass for me.
I think something like an active sub would be ideal. But my budget would be around £100. I've seen some Paradigm 1000's go for about £80 second hand which I was tempted to get.

I'd appreciate any reccommendations of a sub that would live up to my expectations and be under or around the £100 mark.

Subs in your price range produce frequencies you hear, rather than feel.

I'm afraid you wont get anything like that for £100.

ps. what the hell speakers and amp have you got? floor standers with max RMS 30W and a 15W amp!!! I didn't even know they made them that well...weak :)

ps. what the hell speakers and amp have you got? floor standers with max RMS 30W and a 15W amp!!! I didn't even know they made them that well...weak :)

Is that really necessary? Everyone starts somewhere....

My advice is to keep looking around on ebay and the classifieds here. Maybe you will find a bargain.

...although that is good advice.

This is a subject that I find of great interest, so I'm curious...

If you have a system, like the OP (or me!) which won't wow anyone, where is money best spent? If he can't get the sheer oomph from any <£100 sub, what is to be done first? Is it best to save up and, ahem, buy an SVS PC Ultra 13, or would it be wiser to upgrade the current mains so that they a) are better quality in all ranges and, in particular, b) handle lower frequencies better, before you worry about adding a sub?

Where's the best "bang for your buck" lie overall, do you think?

This is a subject that I find of great interest, so I'm curious...

If you have a system, like the OP (or me!) which won't wow anyone, where is money best spent? If he can't get the sheer oomph from any <£100 sub, what is to be done first? Is it best to save up and, ahem, buy an SVS PC Ultra 13, or would it be wiser to upgrade the current mains so that they a) are better quality in all ranges and, in particular, b) handle lower frequencies better, before you worry about adding a sub?

Where's the best "bang for your buck" lie overall, do you think?

I think a lot just depends on the person and what they want out of their system. Personally? I can live with cheaper mains and an amazing sub when on an underfunded budget. At the height of mismatched systems, I had a SVS PC-Plus 20-39, $200 total in Sony LRC speakers, and $100 total in Pioneer surrounds. Was able to upgrade since thankfully.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Alex. I have a Yamaha DSP-AX861 and Tannoy F1 Customs yet I'm 'umm'ing and 'ahh'ing between a BK Gemini (2.5x the cost of my Tannoy F1 mains) and a BK XLS200 (3.5x times the cost of my mains) and a part of me feels I'm picking the best for me but the other part thinks I'll end up with a sub which is utterly wasted on my system.

It's this sort of area I find particularly difficult to navigate. The OP seems to love his bass, but at what point does your amplifier restrict you? Is there a rule of thumb for how much to spend on a sub vs. mains (vs. amp)?

The OP seems to love his bass, but at what point does your amplifier restrict you? Is there a rule of thumb for how much to spend on a sub vs. mains (vs. amp)?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Most subs are powered (built in amp) so the amplifier in them is designed to be powerful enough to drive whatever woofer is in there within the enclosure space of the box. If you're talking about overpowering your mains, which a lot of people worry about, fear not as all you need is a cheap radio shack SPL meter to calibrate it to the same level as your mains.

The worst that can happen is your woofer has extra headroom to move in. Subs generally suffer more from being in a room that's too big for them to handle than mains do, and many times a comparatively cheap sub in a small room with expensive mains can sound every bit as good as a super high-end sub in the same space because the high-end sub isn't showing off like it would in a larger space.

I think a lot just depends on the person and what they want out of their system. Personally? I can live with cheaper mains and an amazing sub when on an underfunded budget.

I can't. In fact I would rather have no subwoofer at all rather than compromise on the main speakers

I sold recently my 300 watt Sony subwoofer for 80 quid. So there is hope for you to find a bargain in the internet. Good luck. If you can stretch your budget try to find a BK subwoofer, because they produce a lot of bang for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom