1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a STRDB3000ES, Am I mad?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by d4v34, Sep 10, 2005.

1. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    Am I the only one that's disappointed that Sony have decided to stop making the strda3000es and strda5000es receivers?
    I think these designs are very clean and powerful, much better than the usual kit you get which is all looking a bit samey, oh and the remote is the multi-line LCD learning unit.
    So am I mad for wanting one, I'm not usually driven by design but I just want something different.
    Cheapest (and only place I can find one) is at HiFiBitz for £599, anyone seen them anywhere else. I guess the Sony Centres may have one knocking around in the back.

Cheers

2. gmoney80

gmoney80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They Are Making A 3100es And A 5100es Receiver That Are On The Market Right Now They Have Been Getting Terrible Reviews On Audioreview.com

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I wouldn't question your sanity for wanting one of these ;)

I owned a STRDA5000, which I found to be excellent with movies, if a little "clinical" sounding for my tastes - but it was certainly involving! Before this I had a Nakamichi AV10, went to a Denon 3802, onto the Sony and then a Yamaha RXV-2400. I bought the Nak from Richer Sounds when they were selling them at quite reasonable prices and having read all the reviews I could find. Because of the name, more than anything else, I felt part of an "elite" little club... until I heard the Denon! The Nak was an old design and the 3802 had much more "gusto" as well as sounding more detailed, and for me, was an all round better amp - even with stereo sources. Having had a taste of what modern gear was all about, I wanted more! I then read all about the Sony STRDA5000 - including reports (in my experience all too true) about the Sony causing hissing from speakers - mine did too. At first it didn't really bother me, but gradually things changed - the Sony isn't the most powerful of amps, although I think it is adequate, and for those times when I was in the mood for a real blast the hissing began to become intrusive. I couldn't get it to sound as I wanted it to sound with stereo sources, either and this is what finally encouraged me to look elsewhere. I went from the Sony to the amp I still own - a Yamaha RXV2400, which isn't as clinicly detailed as the Sony and doesn't look as "classy" as the Sony, but in all other ways I prefer the Yam, especially the way it deals with bass sounds - the Sony changed the character of deeper tones, making things seem more neutral. I would think that if you are anything like a "bass fiend" then the Sonys would not be for you. :)

At the end of the day it all comes down to cost - if the Sony STRDA5000 was available new for say £375.00 and its rivals were £600.00 I could see why people would choose a Sony. Given the actual cost of these amps, my suggestion would be to look elsewhere - unless of course you just happen to prefer the sound of the Sony, can live with the hiss, and don't mind paying a premium for it being a Sony. :) My advice would be to look elsewhere, though. ;)

All the best, Mark. :smashin:

4. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the information Mark. I read that Sony were able to fix the hissing on the 3000/5000es receivers if they were sent back to a Sony service centre. Did you have the option to send it for service?
    My room isn't that big so I think even moderate bass would be adequate.
    Maybe I'll have a trawl around town, there are a couple of Sony centres there and see if I can get a bargain - then again they are Sony centres :)

Cheers
    Dave

5. mgh0001

mgh0001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what about the multi award winning sony str-va555es av receiver.
    mike