I want a quiet PS4! (prob needs an external power supply)

Pug72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Fed up with my intermittantly noisy fan. I now favour my silent Xbox One for multi-format titles because it irritates me so much.

I even tried a couple of fans connected to a single USB connector in hope of keeping it cool enough for it to not ramp up the fan. No joy.

I appreciate that probably not all PS4's have fans as intrusive as mine, but I doubt there are any out there as silent as the Xbox One.

So Sony, when the inevitable slimmer model comes, please take the power supply out and give us a whisper quiet console.

I'll be first in the queue.

I don't think many people would welcome a return to the old days of a power brick (it surprises me that Microsoft still use one).

Regardless, I don't think the PS4 is noisier because of the internal PSU, its more likely due to the size of enclosure. As anyone who builds PCs knows, the smaller the case, the harder it is to keep cool and quiet. I think as the chips reduce in power requirements the noise levels will naturally follow suit much like it did for PS3 Phat > PS3 Slim.

I think probably, the reason why the Xbox One still has an external PSU is most likely because they wanted to be 100% sure there was no repeat of the RROD, and they don't have much experience building the PSU into the unit, so its a safer bet. That's also why the Xbox One is almost twice the size of a PS4. They didn't want a repeat of that, as it must have cost them very dearly.

Give it a couple of revisions and I'm sure the noise levels will come down.

Yep my Xbox One is near silent compared to my PS4, the PS4 for me runs hotter also.
I much prefer the Xbox One's design because it runs cool and is near silent.

I buy all my Multiplat Games on the Xbox One most of the time, it's quiet, prefer the controller, I game share on it and find I can get games digitally cheaper on the Xbox One compared to the PS4.
Still the PS4 is a great bit of kit but it did surprise me when I first powered it up at how noisy it is compared to my Xbox One.

Wish they had focused on a slightly bigger case and bigger fan for the PS4 and more than likely it would be as quiet as the Xbox One.

Only time i hear my PS4 is when I am playing a disc game and the disc drive is whirring. Are your digital games just as loud? Or is it just in general because you hear the fan (which I've never heard)?

Maybe open it up and give it a good vacuuming and grease on the fan axis?

My PS4 gets noisy but that's because I have it in a cupboard with the door closed. Not noisy enough to come above the sound of the surround sound but when it's quiet I can hear the fans. Doesn't really bother me though.

In comparison my Xbox One is totally silent...........because I don't use it lol. Not played a single game on it so can't comment on how it is in the same cupboard.

Only time I hear my PS4 is when installing games from disc, booting games up while it does its disc confirmation thing(and that only lasts a minute or so) and if I had it on for hours on end, even then it's only really noticeable when you go out to the dash as there's no other sound going but when actually gaming you can't even notice it due to the volume of the tv(and i sit pretty close to it).

Only time I hear mine is when I've been gaming for a while and no volume on the TV. It was always going to run hotter as the GPU is more powerful and the case it closer to the components and causes heat transfer to the case, hence why it will feel hotter to the touch.
Running it for other tasks such as Netflix its silent.

Fans on mine are loud when gaming, but mine is in a cabinet with the door one when in use. Xbox one is in the same cabinet and can't be heard at all.

I hate power bricks, and the (launch) 360 was a jet engine despite having one.
Going a bit deaf helps hearing any console noise; and if the Mrs or neighbours moan, i just play drums for half an hour, and they completely shut up about console+tv+amp+sub noise :smashin:

So yeah i'd rather have an integrated device.

My PS4 fan makes a noise but it really doesn't bother me at all. It only ever ramps up when under stress in a game, so when using for media it's basically silent. When i'm gaming, I either have a headset on or the volume turned up so the fan noise becomes irrelevant. What I do like is to be able to quickly whip the cables out and take it to my office, son's room with ease. Would be a right pain to cart the power brick too and fro as well. As such, the Xb1 has not left the living room and hasn't even been used on my projector.

Interesting views.

Hmmmm....how easy is it to open up the PS4? Wouldn't mind giving it a good clean.

Looks easy enough. Fun job for the weekend, will report back with results on the weekend sometime.

Mine is starting to get a bit noisy now. Used to have only one or two games where the fan spun up but that's becoming a bit more frequent, and louder. Guess it probably does need a bit of a vacuuming, be interested to hear how you get on @Pug72

I wish the systems used filters which could be cleaned like you get in a PC case, would make things easier!

i used to just blast the fudge out my ps3 and 360 every few months with my compressor to clean them. never done them any harm. The ps3 was never the quietest tho tbh and as long as my old arcade 360 was used from HDD with installed games it was uber quiet. Even from disc it was ok think i had/have a gem there.
ive not heard a ps4 so cant say but if it's bad already mayb it's just bad, my X1 make zero noise. i was suprised.

After a hunt for a T9 security torx screwdriver, I took it apart.

Wasn't that much dust really, surprising as my house gets very dusty.
Hardly any on the heatsink and a minor buildup on the fan. Gave it a good clean and reassembled.

Now I'm running CoD AW to see if to made any difference. I doubt it.

No real loud ramping up of the fan yet after CoD, but did get louder during Driveclub.
Not got super loud yet.

I never even notice mine making a noise and mine is on top of my computer desk and just a metre away.

After a hunt for a T9 security torx screwdriver, I took it apart.

Wasn't that much dust really, surprising as my house gets very dusty.
Hardly any on the heatsink and a minor buildup on the fan. Gave it a good clean and reassembled.

Now I'm running CoD AW to see if to made any difference. I doubt it.
What may be a good idea since uv already had it apart is to open it up again and take of the heatsink n fan and fully clean off and reapply some decent thermal paste like arctic silver 5. Might just take off a few degrees and keep it quieter. Often done badly in productions lines with too much of it.

If never done that on a PC etc then few youtube searches will show u how.

Never noticed it TBH but expect it could become annoying for some.

TV / surround sound = louder than the fan.
When I can't do that = Sony gold headphones.

What may be a good idea since uv already had it apart is to open it up again and take of the heatsink n fan and fully clean off and reapply some decent thermal paste like arctic silver 5. Might just take off a few degrees and keep it quieter. Often done badly in productions lines with too much of it.

If never done that on a PC etc then few youtube searches will show u how.
Yeah, I remember doing that on the 360 and my laptop. Both had a massive blob and I have no idea how it managed to transfer anything there was so much of the stuff!

you should stand it vertically allowing the underside to cool as well. in tests it makes it run 10 degrees cooler

you should stand it vertically allowing the underside to cool as well. in tests it makes it run 10 degrees cooler

Funny you should say that, my Ps4 is notably quieter horizontal than vertical. I was chuffed to discover this when I had to change my set-up around, a real bonus and since doing so I barely notice the noise despite sitting closer to the console.

Then again maybe was since I hit my 40's and the old hearing's going;)

Bought mine a few weeks ago and it seems, so far, to be a little quieter than the PS4 I bought beginning of last year. Could well be coincidence, I don't know. But my PS4 is about 10ft away from where I sit and I rarely notice any noise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom