I want a PVR with NAS or USB

J

jyeatman

Hi All
I'm looking for a PVR where it's easy to get at the material you've recorded. I was originally interested in a single box solution (i.e. write stuff from the HD to the DVD) but they seem too expensive for what you get.

I'm not worried about the size of the HD as I'll regularly copy stuff to my PC and write to DVD, I'm also not worried about twin tuners as my TV has a built in freeview tuner. I guess reliability and connectivity are the most important factors to me. An ethernet port for network available storage would be nice, but USB2 would suffice if it's quick.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jerry

Bearded_Malc

Topfield has USB and you can add something like the NSLU to link the USB to ethernet or wireless. Then topfield can be accessed via ftp or mapped as a drive. Download speed is limited to about x1 or x2-3 in turbo mode (nothing else working then).

J

jyeatman

Thanks.

I assume most or all of the PVRs on the market simply dump the broadcasted MPEG2 stream on to the HD without any re-encoding or compression?
Do they differ in this respect to DVD recorders with built in freeview tuners?

Also roughly what is the Toppy max transfer rate over USB?

nwhitfield

Max rate is between a third and a fifth of running time; I can't remember what that works out at in bits per second. Via my wireless LAN, I typically see 800-900k/sec.

Note that those are based on Turbo mode, which pretty much takes over the whole PVR.

Nigel.

Bearded_Malc

I seem to remember seeing 1.4-1.5 Mb/s on cabled ethernet (turbo mode). The xN figures are relative to real time (it is possible to stream from the toppy too). The file is basically the MPEG datastream with an attached header (program info etc.). Programs exist to make the file into a PS mpeg.

rhubarbe

My Dreambox dm-7025 transfers mpeg2 files from its HDD via ethernet at 8Mbps or thereabouts to a NAS. Mine's a satellite model but you can get them with two DVB-T tuners now. In fact you can even get a kit to fit a DVD-RW.

You won't get UKMHEG though. And it isn't very cheap. Does what you want though.

What you were saying about not needing two tuners... Have you thought this through? The TV's tuner has no HDD so you can't FF RW, chase play or pause live TV, and that's what makes the PVR so flexible. And if you use your single tuner PVR to record, well you can only FF, RW, chase play or pause on the channel you are recording, which is no fun.

Twin tuner PVR is the best of both worlds. Toppies and 9200Ts will even let you watch a third channel while recording two others (as long as the programme you want to watch is on the same mux as one of the ones you are recording).

I don't even have the tuner of my Tosh 32WLT58 connected to a tuner. It even helps to stop the buzzing!

NeilF

Any of these deviced cope with DivX and XVid etc? Ideally I'd like to be able to USB such material to the units hard drive and watch it from there...

Bearded_Malc

Topfield doesn't, but of course you can always convert back to mpeg2. Some DVD players do so it may be easier to burn it to DVD.

J

jyeatman

Thanks for your advice guys

Rhubarbe you have a point about twin tuners, looks very useful. I'm just trying to keep costs down.
With high definition broadcasts not far beyond the horizon I don't want to spend too much...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom