1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want a panny "5" series but need help!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matravers, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Everyone,

I have been considering a plasma tv for ages, and every time i make up my mind someone makes my ears bleed and i wait a little longer........Anyway, sick of waiting now and am gonna purchase really soon but wonder if anyone could answer some quetsions.

I want the 42" panasonic with tuner (for easy connection) the dmr-e30 and the digital tuner box. I am also going to connect an XBox and my bose lifestyle 28 (DVD player system).

When watching football on other plasmas i have noticed terrible movement and strangely square footballs, does this happen on the panasonic at all?

When playing XBox on the screen is the image very good during fast moving scenes, and do the graphics get stretched or at all ruined on such a big screen.

I currently have a 29" sony trinitron 4:3 ratio box thing, i want to know that the plasma will always be a better picture for watching normal TV, or does the picture ever really get bad.

Generally, i wonder if any panasonic plasma owners out there would mind posting there honest oppinions of the screen and usability (especially thru tuner!!!).

Cheers ALL!!!!!!!!!

P.S. has anyone actually permanently burned one of these screens, and i thought an xbox would be ok for screen burn as the image is generally constantly moving whilst playing???

Oh yeah, one other thing does the tuner have a component input as well as the screen, therefore giving me 2 RGB scarts and 2 Component inputs????

2. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's three thousand quid :eek: - go to a decent supplier and get a demo. You'll get lot's of good advice here but your worries can only be resolved by seeing the screen in action.

3. SCAMP

SCAMP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased a Panny 5 but without the tuner.
    Sky sports programmes are not great on CRT TV's so no wow factor when watching them on Plasma but no square balls either.

Certain/newer films are great even on Sky shame the sound is
    not DD.

I am very pleased i purchased it but do wonder how long it will last. My Sony TV has been going strong for 10yrs.
    Have not yet got the DVD hooked up so am looking fwd to see how oood the progressive scan images are.

Cheers

4. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

cardmeister,

thanks mate, although i have seen it several times and love it very much, but....as you said it is £3000 and so many different dealers say so many things so i am just hoping for a little personal opinion of people who have been far braver than me so far!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the reply

5. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Daniel,

Ive got a 3 Series Panny and still chuffed to bits with it...

No issues with square footballs, or any type of burn.... in fact no issues at all :)

I use an Xbox and its brilliant, bought a High Def kit and now use digital audio and component (will give you best results by miles), just set the xbox to 16:9

Bite the bullet and do it...

As said before, any decent dealer will let you test drive it anyway, take your xbox along and give it a go.

Good luck
    Kev

6. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, check the pro's and con's threads to make sure nothing leaps out at you.

For my part, I have no issues regarding any pictures of any type. Lip Sync is my only bugbear as I have said many times on the forum, but I'm closer to solving that.

I had a 4:3 29" TV before the Panny 5 series and the transformation in PQ and enjoyment has been exponential.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Daniel

You must have been seeing a very well set up plasma with Sky Digital if you could tell that the ball was square or round :)

Personally I'd ditch the Panasonic tuner from your plans and look at spending slightly more for the display + a Silicon Image iScan Ultra (plus a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter for your RGB sources); if best image quality is your highest priority then this combination will outperform the Tuner big time and your sources will all benefit from the external video processor.

If funds dont stretch to the Ultra then I'd still ditch the Tuner and put your system together without it - you video sources will look better without the tuner and you can possibly still plan for the Ultra at a later date.

I've seen a few displays damaged by screen burn - the key is not to constantly watch any source that: A. Has any static content and B. Does not fill the whole screen every time you switch your display on; also if you go for the TH-42PWD5BX (Charcoal ) display it has a fairly comprehensive range of programmable screen saver modes that you can use.

Best regards

Joe

8. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I agree with joe..... the tuner is not the best way to spend the money... better off spending it on better switch gear...

Kev

9. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all so far helping greatly, i wonder though can anyone tell me (scamp particularly) is the lipsync always bad because i have never heard of the problem til looking in here yesterday.

Also, is the tuner really that bad, i only want it for the ease of connections and being able to record 1 channel whilst watching another (trying to keep it simple cos otherwise my girlfriend will moan she cant use it.......u know how it is, although personally i thik that would be for the best lol).

10. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, it's not bad......and to be honest those who say it is better without the tuner are talking nonsense & probably haven't seen both - I have!

yes there are different ways of connecting.....but if domestic bliss is what you're after get the tuner, you'll never notice the difference (except that analogue bbc, itv etc are actually BETTER than the sky signals)

11. SCAMP

SCAMP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using now for 1 mth and only experience of Lip-Sync problem was on Shrek DVD but even then was not easily noticeable. After your request i watched sky programmes very clossely last night and no Lip-sync problems.

I am playing DVD and Sky through a RGB to Plasma VGA converter
    (JSTech) and when the new DVD arrives will put this direct to Plasma through component so i cannot say how well the Panny Tuner will perform.

If you like watching tv/films or playing games and can afford it then stop getting hung up on all the technical inticacies. It makes average films an enjoyment to watch but needs a good sound system to do it justice.

12. ginga_dj

ginga_dj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the Toshiba 42pw27 (panny 5 clone) and I am pleased.
    Paid £3299 from Richersounds plus £50 for delivery.
    The picture is good and now I am used to the size, my old 29" looks tiny.
    Get the tuner box if you want convenient connectivity. I didnt and preferred to spend the dough on decent cables, but, my VCR through composite doesnt look too hot at all.
    DVD on component, Sky Digital on RGB>VGA and the PS2 and VCR though the Amp on composite.

Sometimes SKY looks great, and other times crap, but its the same on all my friends CRT's. The lip synch issue is noticeable if you look hard, but to be honest you forget after a while.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Daniel

I'll try not to talk any further nonsense :)

As others say when it comes to domestic harmony the tuner is possibly a good compromise (no matter what others say I have seen the display with and without the tuner and for absolute best picture quality I'd go without).

Maybe those who do use the tuner can give you a few pointers (warnings) to the 'daft' things it does that will still irritate those who expect plasma designers to show a bit of common sense - no direct access to input selection is always a mystery to most and no PC input on a £3.5K VGA display once the Tuner is connected is another that springs to mind!!!

I have one of the Pioneer HDE PlasmaTV models with Tuner at home and we rarely touch the Tuner remote - I use the SKY+ remote to switch the plasma on and off and then the SKY+ remote to control the volume and channel selection and SKY+ takes care of our recordings (get one of these boxes and throw away your VHS - its a brilliant device; though again the powers that be find the control system a bit frustrating at times!)

Best regards

Joe

14. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All your replys are brilliant....thankyou much appreciated.

I am going to connnect using my Bose Lifestyle 28 (i know most hate bose, but in house i think sound is brilliant).

I managed to see the panny running off that today on several films and tv and could not notice any lipsync at all......and i tried. i had never heard of it before so hope i am lucky when i purchase.

If anybody has anything to add or anybody else has any advice or good/bad experiences i would still be grateful as the more the merrier....and anyhow if you have one i am sure it is always nice to talk about, i know i will.

Only shame is no-one ever has good reception in there showrooms so its always hard to gauge but hey.

Also, is that true that i cannot connect my pc if the tuner is attached (this may be a problem). Oh yeah, one other thing the tuner i believe has 3 scarts (2 of which are RGB), and because the component is taken from the monitor apparently it has one those too....am i correct, and can i get a component splitter/ switcher as i want my DVD (Bose) and XBox to run thru component???????????

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Tuner turns you plasma monitor into a plasma television, less setting options (and some say not quite as good picture) but generally easier for certain family members to use, and common consumer connectors.

I had a Tuner, but changed because I wanted to use an external deinterlacer/switcher.

You can simply unplug the Tuner box from the cable, with power off of course, to re-enable the VGA input for PC.

If use the component connection, the second RGB scart is disabled. Yes you could use a component switcher for DVD/xbox.

StooMonster

16. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks stoomonster!!!!

But, could you please tell me where i can get a component splitter from and also, does this lose any of the quality at all in your experience??????

CHEERS!!!!