I want a new hobby - any Kitesurfers here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by baker, Jul 1, 2015.

1. baker

baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Having an "early" mid-life crisis (at 32 years old), and wanting to do something new and a bit different.

Having just got back from Kos, I noticed whilst lounging on the beach several Kitesurfers... it looked amazing fun.

I luckily enough live on the Suffolk coast, so thought I'd maybe try and have a taster/intro session for kitesurfing to see if I like it.

Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or tips for lessons around my area (Felixstowe, Southwold, Walberwick, Lowestoft, etc).

2. baker

baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Also any tips/advice into what seems like a minefield for equipment.

From what I've been reading the kites come in various sizes... and from what I've read people tend to have multiple sizes...

Sounds like this could get expensive LOL

3. djstu_d

djstu_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hey, I kite and was in the industry for 6 years (brand rep). So know a thing out two ;) can't talk now, but I'll come back and give you a few tips for getting started....

4. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I kitesurfed for a few years but have now given up due to family commitments.

It's a great sport but it is expensive and can quickly turn dangerous.

Don't rush into buying kit, there are lots of different stuff out there and some will suit you better than others.

You need lessons. Don't try and learn without them as you will annoy other ksurfers and be taking too much of a risk.

The biggest mistake I made was buying a second hand kite that was beyond my ability so scared me every time I went out.

Check out http://www.britishkitesports.org and find out where your local spots are. Get down there a make friends. Then book lessons.

Good luck.

5. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,079
    One of my old pals from Call of Duty days.....years ago used to be on here and is a massive kite-surfer up in Scotland. Unsure what his AVF UN is....search for @SortedSharky

6. djstu_d

djstu_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    hey fella, i'm back !!!

right, first off your not to old !!! some of the best kiters i've spent time with are in there 50's and 60's, so no worries on that score ;)

best thing you can do first, is go to the beach closest to where you live, when the wind is blowing over 15mph and go watch the locals. If you take up kitesurfing, this will be your new second home !!! when ever its windy, you'll be on the beach :)

If you go down on a weekend, you'll soon see if there is a school operating from your beach. just go chat to the instructor and watch what's going on.

I know of a great instructor, who often works out of hunstanton, so can pass on details if you want. But see whats going on at your local beach first.

Kit wise, it can be expensive, if you buy new gear..... but starting out, you want 2 kites, 1 board, a harness and a wetsuit. You can get most of this second hand for really good prices. If you want ideas of what to buy, drop me a line after you've done a course.

If you want to buy new, then every shop/brand will let you borrow kites/boards to try, so you can test before you send any money :)

Lessons are the most important thing though, you've gotta learn properly fella :)

Its an amazing sport, you'll meet some great people and have LOTS of fun !!!!

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

hth

stu

7. djstu_d

djstu_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
  8. baker

baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Cheers guys, a lot of useful info.

Lessons would deffo be on my to do, I wouldn't even contemplate trying to take up something like this without any sort of training.

I've spoke with a local shop, and located my nearest hotspot, about 15min drive from my house :)

Will try and pop along to check it out and speak to a few people.

9. Bazstard

Bazstard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I really should go to specsavers as I read the title as,
    "I want a new hubby- any Kitesurfers here?"