1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want A good plasma. Please help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GalacticaActual, Jul 23, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Am thinking of buying a plasma. probably some thing like 42". MY budget is around £3000. I would need to connect up a sky didgi box via rgb. A ps2 VIa rgb or svideo. An s-vhs vcr and a pioneer dvd757 ai via componet.
    Are plasmas flicker free?
    Do they suffer with judder like 100hrz tvs.?
    Any problems with geomatry or the dreaded dirty screen effect?
    Shimmering and halo effects are they a problem?

I will be most concered with how movies look on the screen so this is the main prioraty.
    any advice on what to buy would be appreciated.
    Many thanks. :)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You stand every chance of excellent results, you have good sources already, though I'd personally go for a component kit for the PS2. Do you have an AV amp? Your budget is into hi res territory, Pioneer or Panasonic. Both are excellent, the actual look of the things is down to personal preference. Some say the image is brighter, more vibrant on the Pioneer, some say black levels are way ahead on the panasonic. In days gone by duels would have been fought. Where are you, we'll send you for a sympathetic demo.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    basildon area in essex.

I know that a perfect picture is going to be hard to get. what i am also affraid of is getting artefacts on fast movements like the pixel plus type problems and the acuity problems on the phillips and panasonic crt tvs. I really do want a display device that I will have the minimum amount of problems with.
    Dead pixels? regasing? Are these also issues? :) ( I have a feeling that plasmas dont need regasing and it was only one of these silly fumors when they fist came out?)
    What are these plasmas also like for gameing?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    AV sales are easiest to get to for you, and no, you don't get those same old problems, just a bunch of new ones! But not too bad, have a look and see.
    Dead pixels can be an issue, but they are rare on good plasmas, re-gassing is an excellent joke. Philips plasmas have the same issues as pixel plus TV's, but I stand by my recommendation of the hi res. Panasonic or pioneer as good displays that will very likely please you. I think Panny the more robust with screen burn, but it's not a big issue usually, even with gaming, as long as you are sensible. If you have a scaler, gaming is problematic, the delay factor kicks in, it's impossible then. You have to run a specific 'gaming' cable bypassing scaling for this.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Where is av sales?
    What is a scaler? and what does it do?

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Right due to budget problems can now only afford around 2500 for a plasma. Has any one out there got any more advice for me? What exactly are the potentetial problems with plasmas?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Dave, you are still in with a top chance, if you have a sound system already the smart money is still on the PW6 Panny.The screen will obviously eat most of your budget, but there's still enough left for a JS RGB to VGA converter and some decent cables. You'll need to thi nk about how best to connect the rest of your stuff, console on scart pass thru with RGB? DVD to component is likely best, or if you already have a av amp and component kit for PS2 that advice might change. You can certainly enjoy a panasonic or Hitachi on that money, suffice to say.

8. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hello mate
    Go for the panasonic th-42pwd6 from av-sales
    Got my one from them a month ago great service.
    I went for the offer with the scart board and quintro switcher box and i am well happy.
    http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd6_plasma.html
    You can get the rgb to vga connection at a later date if you are on a budget ,i will get one but i am happy with scart at the moment.Will you go for a wall mount or stand?I have done nearly 200 hours on mine and the picture is great :thumbsup: .If you want some advice RAYLEIGH HI FI are quite helpfull and they have plasmas on show,don't think they have pannys but you can get an idea of picture quality. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

9. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah i'd also recommend the panny pwd6 (by the way if u want it in silver it cost a bit more). Can someone also remind me how to check the hours clocked on the panny?

10. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dean
    hold down - volume on plasma and press the status button on remote,that's the one below the stand by button 3 times.Go down to sd mode.Then wt is times turned on and off and pt is hours used.

11. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    dean
    just checked my one .
    done 153 hours so far.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't mess with the settings in there, if you turn off the remote or anything U R up matsu****a creek without a paddle

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Guys , I really apreciate the replys to my thread and all the advice. However could some out there please be specific in answering these set of questions I do not want to go through all the greef I had getting my crt tv :D

1)I have heard that some plasmas are not true 16;9 displays is this correct?
    2)do you get any geomatry or screen tilting problems with a plasma?
    3) if you do are there service menu adjustment you can make to correct?
    4) do they suffer with the dirty screen effect?
    5)any problems with 100hrz juddering or smearing and colour lag?
    6)any problems with over scan and are there adjustments for it?
    7)are plasmas progresive scan compatable and is this the best way to view material on them?

Many thanks in advance.
    Thanks also to---MAW-------SARGETHEBOSS AND DEAN :smashin: so far.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1) Generally all 16:9
    2) Not Really
    3) Qualified personel onlly!
    4) Never seen it my self
    5) Again no (very minor if at all)
    6) Every panny i have ever seen over scans but can be sorted in standard menu
    7) Almost all are, Yes unless it is a Fujitsu/Hitachi Alis Screen (whole can of worms)

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Short and to the point, Hornydragon. Not to mention correct. Note again point no. 3. Particularly with panasonic, I have known a customer who found out here how to get into the service menu, turned off IR remote control. No, he didn't have crestron, yes it was a wind-up, cured with hyper terminal and a laptop.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thankyou MAW, If panasonic ever learn how to ship a plasma properly set-up i would be out of a job!
    However the best results require time patience and some extras that dont come in the box. but at the end of the day far better results!

17. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm in a similar dilema to your self! Budget was around the same amount of £3k but i also needed a new Surround sound system.
    I'm decided on the PW6 from AV-sales they have advised one RGB scart board which would connect to a Quinto allowing me to connect my freeview and Xbox, then connecting the new Jamo system via components to the plasma. leaving the vga connection for my laptop. although the with the 3yr warranty its slightly over budget i'm happy or will be tomorrow when i place my order and it arrives.
    I would advise you view the plasmas your looking at side by side as i did .
    Quattro

18. Andyraps

Andyraps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps, I have read this thread with interest as it seems I am at the same stage with a similar requirement. I have looked at loads of reviews and was settling towards the Hitatchi PD5000 range (£2599 plus a free portable DVD player!). I looked at the Panasonic PW6 which has good reports but I noticed the resolution was only 852x680, when others are 1024x1024 - is this important ? :confused:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No. It has little bearing on what you will currently see. With HDTV it may be a different story, but bear in mind there's no such thing as a free lunch. All that resolution on the hitachi is actually designed to make a cheap, non-burning permanent display, not really for video at all. It's a mystery to me how they make a bearable picture on them, but it seems they do. But fact remains that they are cheap for the resolution, and somethings got to give.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    panel 16:9 res 1024x1024 you work it outsomething not right there!
    852x480 16:9 do same see what you think!

21. Andyraps

Andyraps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, the maths make sense when you put it like that. So, I'm not a home cinema buff, I just want a TV replacement which we mainly watch TV and SKY on - only occasional video and DVD - will I be disappointed with the normal TV picture ?

The fog is lifting ! :zonked:

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Im sure you'll be enthralled by the PQ, the size, the coolness etc. Even wives/girlfriends have been known to bestow unusual favours on sight of a plasma onthe wall

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Its true my missus promised me alsorts when she clapped eyes on the 504HDE Pio!!!! Cant afford tho! :(

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    OK.
    I know I am probably being quite thick here but what does the above actually mean? I have multiplied 852 by 480 I dont get 16:9?
    I get 408960!!!! what has this got to do with 16:9? :confused:

25. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    divide 852 by 480 then 16 by 9 and compare answers.
    Got my plasma last friday. Nothing from my wife but grief at the expense of it all. By the sound of it I have to try wall mounting... :devil:

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you divide 852 by 16 and multiply by 9... Aspect ratio, widescreen TV. The pixels, the dots that make up the picture, are a very odd shape on the Hitachi. Means ver little, screen software takes care of it, but it makes your windows desktop look odd.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its shows the fact that Alis screens are skewed in terms of resolution, they require a lot of complex processing and while some more expensive screens can do a very very good job, the cheaper units can give odd results its like fittting a round peg in a square hole, possible but you get gaps! and how do you fill those gaps?

28. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks guys, alot to think about here. I am not going to just rush out and buy the first plasma I see now :laugh:
    I have read a few threads on scalers on this forum. Are they really neccasary and what exactly do they do? (please describe in laymans terms :D )If i were to buy a panasonic or pioneer instaed of ,say ,a cheap lg unit ,would i noitce a difference in picture quality with a scaler?

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scalers, 1st, a good screen will ALWAYS outperform a merely mediocre one. what they do, these scaler thingys, is what it says on the box, but better tha the 'cheap' items built into displays. They make more difference on higher resolution displays usually. The actual dot count of a plasma is often not the same as the video signal you have connected to it, unless it's a Panny 6 and a R1 DVD. A scaler, you tell it what the pixel count of your screen is, and the aspect ratio(not always so obvious) and it performs the necessary maths, complex on moving images, to fit the signal to the screen. They offer high level tweaking of all aspects of the picture, colour, contrast etc. If you build cables into the wall, it's a good idea to cable for one even if you can't afford it now. The cable is only a few quid after all.

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny PW6 is a B for PQ add scaler and a B+ Lg is a C add scaler and get C+ PQ almost a B but not quite!
    A is very best CRT PQ
    Hornydragons top tip for AV nirvana "make the most expensive bit of kit (usually the display) the weakest link in the chain!" And be happy, after all the point is to watch films TV and enjoy these things something that is all too easy to loose sight of round here!!! :thumbsup: