1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a "flip" but like Nokia. What to buy?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Mark Ward, Oct 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My O2 network Sony T610 is out of contract and I'm ready to upgrade. I've always hated my T610, preferring the Nokia interface.

Looked at the Motorola Razr3 but am put off by comments on the phonebook arrangement. I have LOTS of numbers, sometimes 3 or 4 for the same contact and having them all in the display will make searching very awkward, and I've previously not been impressed with Motorolas I've owned interface wise.

The 6260 seems OK, but these Nokia flippers seem so much more chunky than the competion. Anything else I should consider or is the 6260 the one for me? Bluetooth is essential.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Brothers got the Razor... I think its superb.. did not play much with the phone book but I believe theres 2 . normal one and the wierd cube 3d thing....

Lovely phone though would have on in a minute if I was not on 3. How the new SE S700.. bit bulky but has all the toys/BT lovely screen etc etc

3. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    what about a Nokia 8910i

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Don't be put off the V3 due to the phonebook. Yes it's true that it puts seperate entries in BUT you can group them by Name - which means you'd only initially see one entry per name. Superb phone though - fav phone that I own....... S700 by Sony is FAR too chunky IMO. Maybe look at the new Samsung that comes out end of the year - slide phone with Bluetooth.

5. eeek

eeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The Nokia flip phones are oem bought in product. None of the ones due in the near future are as good as some of their candy bar phones.

The V3 is a great phone and the software is good for a motorola. I can't say what its like compared to recent Nokia's (I've had Sonys for my past three phones).

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the replies. 8910i looks interesting, though very short on features and more like a small nokia with a slide down front than a flipper.

It is really strange that Nokia have chosen to OEM outsource their flipper range and even more strange that the choices they have made are so damned big & ugly.

I'll take another look at the Razr V3 but I'm now wondering whether I'd be better off giving up on the idea of a flip phone until the right model comes along and getting a Nokia 6230 for the next 12 months as it seems to be a popular choice and taking another look at the small flip phone market next year.

I have to do something now as my T610 (which I've always hated) will now not recharge properly.

Thanks,

Mark.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    imho i wouldnt even consider the 8910i,age hasnt treated it very well,the screen is poor considering what your looking at,no camera,not sure but i dont think its fullty polyphonic either,parts expensive,low on features.google it and see what reviews you get but for me i wouldnt consider it.its a tough buying situation your in to be honest mate.i like the look of the motorola`s but know they arent easy to live with,sony dont make a flip that is in your quality range maybe a siemens sl65 ?

8. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have just bought a nokia 6260 for £270 (silver) seems rather silly but im upgrading (if thats what they call it) from a sharp gx30 ......my reason i hear you ask ...............i wanted a radio :smashin:

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Again thanks for the input,

How is the 6260 Vince? It seems incredibly "thick" from the dimensions on the website. I do find it odd in this fiercly competitive market that there areally isn't a lot of options here. Why don't Nokia have anything to rival the Motorola? Siemens SL65 doesn't look too bad, though I've no idea what the interface is like there either.

Seriously considering just getting a Nokia 6230 "Choc-Bar" phone for the next year and looking again then, but since they'll offer me a far "better" (read expensive) model free I feel that I'd be daft to settle for the 6230.

Mark.

10. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    6230 is a fantastic phone Mark, I've had mine for some 6 months now and would get it again if I had to, there are a few threads on here about it...
    It'll do everything you want... and of course with the Nokia interface...
    There's also a great user forum over here: http://www.expansys.com/forum.asp?code=108417
    If you need to know anything / everything about it.....

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Showhorn, I wish I'd read your post before ordering the V3s today. I decided that the post today in the V3 thread solving my phonebook concerns was sufficient to sway me that way.

Done deal now, hope I like it!

Mark.

12. haveagoade

haveagoade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're really gonna regret not buying the nokia 6230 :rolleyes: :suicide:

Never mind there are such good deals at the mo you can get it as well and sell the duff one you bought.

orange value promise 200+ 200mins month for £15 month for 10 months. :clap:

all accessories inc :laugh:

get yourself a dual ghost sim and sell the razor to pay for a real deal of a nokia 6230 you can get a shiney cover as well :hiya:

13. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry Mark, I only looked on here today - I would have posted earlier if I'd seen this thread yesterday..... :rolleyes:

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My Razr3 should turn up this morning and I'm now wondering... Should I just send it back unopened and ask for the 6230 instead?

RazR3 is nice looking, but are there any reasonably heavy users with lots of stored numbers that are using the Razr3 and are comfortable with it?

Also How does the 6230 stores multiple numbers for 1 contact? Are they listed individually in the main list too? Or do you get the default number in the main list like the T610 does?

SOme quick replies would be appreciated as my Razr3 is due to turn up by 10:00am.

Cheers,

MArk.

I really need some

15. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    OK - in contacts, numbers are stored as follows:
    Press menu, select the contacts icon, then search.
    Go to the contact you want, press details - then you get the details you've entered (surprise!)
    To the left is a little icon... then the number / emial address, etc.
    You can have mobile, work, home, e-mail, web-address, postal address, user ID and note.
    The screen will show five before having to scroll down - if you have used ALL the details as above.
    Personally I have mobile, work, home and e-mail - they all show on the screen at once...

FYI: In case you didn't know... you can e-mail from the 6230, and also pick up POP3 mails (not any attachments though).

I've no idea what the Razr3 looks like or feels like or can do though....

16. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    You can pick up emails from the V3 also - to be honest, most handsets I've owned in the last year or two have been able to.

Definitely not going to go into a Motorola v Nokia debate - but there isn't/hasn't been a Nokia mobile I'd buy (or to be fair use) since the 8910i. IMO they look awful/retro and haven't moved on very far compared to other manafacturers.

Yes the Motorola OS isn't the most friendly (but it's not hostile either) and like anything takes a little while to get used to. Yes the SE has a nice phonebook on some of their phones (I do own, after all, a P900 and K700i) but right now - the V3 is my fav mobile (even though Orange are offering me another one for free or a P910 for £10!). My next handset will probably be the Motorola MPx if it arrives on time!!!!!

Basically be happy with what you've chosen - I'm pro V3 (and I feel impartial due to the number of handsets I currently own and have owned). I'm not anti Nokia either - I just feel they've been stuck in a rut for a long time and aren't moving forward. OK the 7710 may change that, but it still looks a bit odd....

17. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've spent 24 hours with the V3 and first impressions are very good., a little complex to get into some setup options but not too bad.

I think I've made the right choice for me.

Thanks everyone,

Mark.