I want a DVDR HDD DVB-T(twin) HDMI device. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cjard, Jan 4, 2007.

1. cjard

cjard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

I registered because I'm hoping someone out there has a better product knowledge than me (this much Im certain of)

I want, for my dad a box to sit under the telly and have:

A hard drive, to record stuff onto
    A DVD writer driver, to archive stuff onto
    Twin digital freeview tuners, so I can record one thing and watch another
    HDMI out, so I can throw away all the scart leads

DivX would be nice, as would USB host, but not essential

The empahsis here is on throwing away remote controls and scart leads. I spent nearly 2 hours over the weekend, trying to explain why channel 1 (analog tuner in tv) was showing static, and that the freeview box was plugged into AV1 and the EXT[->] button must be pressed to see the picture. My dad doesnt quite understand (result of a stroke, it does funny things to the mind) why channel 1 shows static, but AV1 shows bbc1, and why this isnt on channel 1 (it is, dad, on the digibox channel 1, which is connected to AV1. no, channel 2 is not on AV2, they are all on AV1. there IS more than one channel on AV1).

The only way he knows he can get his TV to "work" is to switch both it and the freeview off at the plug, turn on the tv first, then the freeview (scart autoswitch). He then doesnt understand why the "TV" (he means freeview) goes off when the DVD player is switched on, or how to get back to "TV" (freeview), and what his girlfriend means by some televisions only being able to play some television programs (this one turned out to be multi region dvd players, vs single region only being able to play some discs)

I want to remove all this hassle; the guy loves his TV, but doesnt know one remote from the other. Nirvana is:

To get one box that does everything possible, play dvds, record dvds, record to HDD, have a programme guide that is childs play. It is conencted to the aerial on the roof, and then to the tv by just the HDMI lead. The tv is locked to the HDMI channel (or auto switches and never goes onto anything else) and then all he has to do with the tv is switch it on and off.

Now, the guy aint daft; he used to be an airline pilot, he just takes a loooooong time to teach anything to. This is why im really hoping for this simplification.

The brick wall i've hit so far is that I have not seen a single device that has a harddrive, dvd drive and twin tuner to watch one thing, record another. We've returned 2 devices so far, after finding they will not record one thing and watch another.

Given my desire to simplify the situation, I cant accept recommendations to "just get a separate freeview box, or use your existing, and use that to watch while the other records..." - It's another remote, and another scart lead that I am looking forward to binning! :)

Can someone point me in the right direction for the media recorder I require?

Thanks in advance guys n girls!

ps; the tv is an Hitachi 32LD6600, HD ready. I only ever want to use it as a screen to show the output of ONE source; the integrated box.
    pps; a separates solution would be considered, as I know HDD DVB-T(twin) devices exist.. If one of these devices has a connector to an external DVD recorder via USB or soemthing, it would make an acceptable solution.
    I'd rather not go the analog route of [HDD DVB device]--scart-->[DVD Rec] because it's slow, and involves digital-analog-digital conversion

2. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    You can get twin tuners in Japan.

Think the Hitachi models are called, "WooWoo".

Panasonic do one, again in Japan.

Did hear about a quad model.

There is probably others.

Perhaps in 2007 in the UK?

3. Alec

Alec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the panasonic DMR-EX85 hd recorder with freeview and simply connect my old sony freeview box to one of the free AV scart inputs on the TV so I can watch freeview through the DVD recorder or the sony box. Still need a couple of remotes!
    Alec

4. cjard

cjard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    £567.. woo too foo? ;)