1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a compact digicam and dSLR - please advise

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, Oct 7, 2004.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have just sold my superb Fujifilm 2400Z and 6800Z cameras as I would like to upgrade them.

Firstly I need to get a compact digicam.
    Price range 200 - 250 quid.
    Must be compact and feel sturdy.
    4 - 5 megapixels
    Easy to use, mainly for my wife.
    Must take great pictures.
    Must have short shutter lag (need to get the moment when taking pics of the kids)
    Good movie clips would be good.
    Currently quite keen on the sony P100. The Canon A95 sounds fantastic but is quite plasticky and is bigger and heavier than the sony.

Secondly I would like to get a digital SLR.
    An entry level DSLR is fine, must have interchangeable lenses.
    Canon 300D is an obvious choice but I already have a Pentax Z20 with Sigma tele zoom lens, so I have considered the *istD. However this is much more expensive. I've also read that there was a problem with some sigma lenses and this camera. Does anyone know more about this as it would defeat the purpose of specifically looking at pentax. The *istDS should be out soon and will be cheaper than the *istD, anyone know when it will be available?
    Should I also consider the Nikon D70 or anything else?

I know some of you may propose the G6 as bridging my needs with just one camera but I think I would prefer to go with the practicality of a true compact and the "professionalism" of a proper SLR.

Finally, a constraint is that I'm hoping friends will bring the cameras over (certainly the compact at least). They cannot be tied down waiting for a delivery from an online store so I need to get the cameras from a retailer like Jessops. Who does good prices?

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well jessops will pricematch the net if its a uk site and the cam is in stock. I think the canon ixus 500 would be perfect for your wife, you could get her a canon S60 not much bigger and has more manual control if she gets keen. www.pricerunner.co.uk i think amazon have the 500 for £245

As for the DSLR's, well for entry level it has to be between the nikon d70 and the 300D. Both fantastic camera's they'd be the only two i'd consider, though with the D20 out you might get a cheaper D10 if you can find one

I rush when i buy stuff, and i want a dslr now. I keep going back an forth between the 300D and the D20 and i just cant make up my mind. I'm thinking of a camear i will be happy with for a couple of years if not more

3. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would stick with the Canon S430 unless you really need 5MP. It's the exact same spec in every other dept and great value for money.

People are saying you can get the 300D for < £500 these days, so shop around.

Stefan

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You cant get the 300d with the lens for any less then about 600. You're right about the 430

5. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I chose the 430 over the 500 before my recent trip to Sydney. Excellent camera and survived me dropping the thing twice :rolleyes:

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the 400, my bro has it and loves it. My mate has one to

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    like keanyboy mentioned - you can get some good deals on 10D dSLRs at the moment. I'd certainly favour one over the 300D, they are much more robust and more professional feeling where as the 300D is pretty lightweight and unsubstantial (still a bloody good camera though). Parkcameras have 10Ds for £849 and 7dayshop have them at £799. If you want to go even cheaper then, again, Parkcameras has a few used 10Ds from £679 up, or there's the D60 (£599 used) or the D30 (£299 used - bit of a bargain).

If I were to choose between the D70 and the 300D then the Nikon would be my choice - seems to be a better camera all round and definitely worth the few hundred extra quid.

As for the imminent new Pentax I guess you just have to keep checking sites like dpreview for a release date - but unless you're extremely fond of your Sigma lens it seems silly buying new equipment around it (unless of course the Pentax turns out to be a class-leader. Who knows?)

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I have the 300D, £639.00 from Amazon, delivered inside a week. It has the telephoto lens. I have yet to use it for creative photography, but it produces great results on fully auto. The manual controls look a bit fiddly, but normaly during creative stuff you have more time for setting up. For everything else there is a suitable mode.

Its plasticky compared to cameras I have owned in the past, but this doesnt detract from the overall feel and its nice and light and is smaller than the Nikon. Lens is pretty good, but suffers from the usual fish eye distortion on the wide angle limits.

Software is nice and easy to work and was a doddle to install on XP, it comes bundled with adobe paint shop, which works well.

I think that for the price, its pretty much the bargain of the moment, but I would expect a camera like this to retail below £400 if it was a standard film camera. Nikon looks good but you end up paying more for the body than for the entire 300D outfit.

My recommendation, buy the 300D, if you need something better trade it in a couple of years time. Both these cameras will have been superceded by then anyway, but if you want a higher level of functionality than the 300D then the Nikon isnt really a great leap forward in comparison.

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for what its worth - i don't reckon its worth buying any of the ef-s mount lenses - who knows which cameras canon make in the future will support them?

Looks like lenses are kept for much longer than the actual camera - I'm going to save my money for EF lenses...

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the new 20D supports them i'd be very surprised if they limited them to just the 300 and the 20D i recon they are around to stay, i know what you mean though because at the moment they are limted to two cameras. But i think that will change

13. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true, very true... just with the amount you could clock up on lenses how frustrating would it be if you wanted a new camera body that didn't support ef-s mounts!

14. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've seen the 300D on pricerunner for 377 and the lens kit for 585. Does the lens kit include the body - only eight pounds difference if it does!

What's the difference between the EF ans EF-S lenses? I can access good second hand lenses for the 300 ans 300V film cameras. Will these work on the 300D? I know that there is a 1.6 factor for the focal length, but will everything else like the autofocus work?

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON03I000037 if you actually go to the link off pricerunner it ends up being £614

The best price for the body on pricerunner is £577 not £377 http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/32975/art/canon/eos_300d.html?srcid=3

About the efs lens: (from steves digicams)

Canon's new compact EF-S 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 zoom lens – created exclusively for the Digital Rebel and available only in the Digital Rebel Kit – approximates a 28–90mm zoom lens (in 35mm format). By reducing the distance from the rear of the lens to the imaging sensor and reducing the size of the image circle to accommodate the camera's imaging sensor size, the lens produces high image quality with superb resolution at all focal lengths. The new lens is also smaller and lighter than conventional lenses because of the shorter backfocus distance.

16. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sorry my mistake. I meant 577 not 377.

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So have you an idea of what you're going to go for mate? I saw a black 300D in Jessops, had no idea they made them in black. Looked pretty good

18. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jessops have the exclusive UK rights to the black 300D. It comes with a 256mb CF card and the battery grip, which alone costs about £149.

I'm happy with my pink one :laugh:

See here

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

19. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a canon 20D yesterday from jessops on price match and sent the 300D back this afternoon. Nicola, on the 300D box was a sticker saying if you go you canon image gateway and reg it you get a free 256 card so check it out

20. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    nice work :thumbsup:

Had a play with one in John Lewis the other day, very nice indeed. What did you pay for it in the end?

21. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I paid £1099 for the lens kit but i got jessops to give me a credit note for my Canon s1 and the case i bought with, it plus i had some gift vouchers so never paid much more then i was going to for the 300D. I never expected jessops to give a credit note for my S1, once they did it had to be the 20D

It is a fantastic camera matey, only got it yesterday. Lots to learn

22. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What are the main advantages of the 20D over the 300D? Indeed are the improvements over the 10D significant as this might be worth considering as prices come down on the 10D. The improvements have to be significant as I really don't want a heavy camera, so the 300D or D70 would still remain my first choices.

23. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20D has a much faster start-up time than the 300D and I believe a bigger buffer (which allows you to take photos continuously for longer).

higher pixel count (something like 8.3MP to the 300D's 6.3)

Higher ISO settings/shutter speed

9 point autofocus compareds to 300D's 7

Choice of metering method (v. useful!)

Comparison

24. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    the 20D also has a massively increased write speed - according to Rob Galbraith the fastest cards wrote at 1.319MB/sec on the 300D but reached 5.987MB/sec on the 20D. Very impressive.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

25. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the 300D in my hands yesterday, and its a very nice camera, but the D20 just feels so much better and when you hold it it doesnt seem heavy . The new DIGIC II processor means noise is almost history even at higher iso. It's hard to descirbe how fast the camera is. I looked after a nikon D100 for the best part of a year and the 20D just leaves it standing. The 20D is a big step up for me, but i've not taken a pic out of focus yet. The custom function options are fantastic, (a lot to take in ) the feel and the controls are spot on.

300D 142 x 99 x 72 mm 20D 144 x 106 x 72 mm. As you can see in terms of size they are the same really. There's a 115 grams between the two camera, and to be honest that extra weight and metal body makes the camera feel so much better in your hand. Sooner or later you're going to buy a lens that is likley to be as heavy or even heavier then the camera, so 115 is not much to worry about.

I'm so glad that i went for the 20D, i'm really over the moon.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/page3.asp some more indepth specs

There's 50 grams between the the D70 and 20D.