Question I want a "chime" sound when any door or window opens or closes. How?

jimbob99

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a home that is pre-wired for security, but there is no installed security system. (Every window and door has a 2-wire hanging out of it, and they all terminate in a big bundle in the furnace room.)

I want to hear a 'chime' whenever any window or door in the house is opened or closed. I don't want an actual alarm system. i just want the door/window chime.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I don't care which window or door is opened/closed.. as long as the "chime" occurs when it is opened or closed.

Also, there are three "control panel" wiring locations in the house (in master bedroom, beside main floor door, and beside downstairs door) where there is a 6-wire instead of normal 2-wire like the doors and windows. It would be nice if all of these "control panel" locations did the chime sound when any door/window is opened. (This way, we can hear the chime, no matter where we are located in the house.)

I hope that makes sense? Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

magnetic sensors on every door and window
control panels that suit the job

there's probably a lot of different alarm panels that would allow you to do this but you would need to contact an alarm retail company or similar to get exactly what you need

Easiest way to do is it to forget about the wires and do it wireless.

z-wave door/window sensors for all doors/windows
3 x z-wave chimes
1 x Smarthings hub

Install and pair all devices in the smarthings app.
Make one or more rule (they’re called automation in Smarthings) activating the chimes when a window/door is opened.

There are options to use wired sensors but it will be more complex to setup

I agree forget about the wires, that is so old fashioned. With some zwave devices and a controller you can do whatever you want.

I hope that makes sense? Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
A Texecom alarm system such as the Elite 48 - can have up to 48 Zones connected. It has 3 chime functions.
Chime 1 - beeps 1 for every time a zone assigned to Chime 1 is opened (not closed)
Chime 2 - beeps 2 for every time a zone assigned to Chime 1 is opened (not closed)
Chime 3 - beeps 3 for every time a zone assigned to Chime 1 is opened (not closed)

The Chimes 2&3 ALSO show up the specific "description" on the nearby keypad - so you know which activated.

I use common entry doors on Chime 1 - less common on Chime 2, and windows on Chime 3.

I would expect your system has been wired to allow expanders to be connected - each able to receive 8 zones.

Are all the contacts mounted - or have you just got wires?

Just realised you are in the US - so unlikely to be able to go for Texecom Elite - you may be better served with the AVSForum or other US based site - though the general info here is good, it may not be available in the US.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom