1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a cheap HD set but great with SD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Sep 10, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I have a philips 30pf9975, pixel plus 1. For me, it works wonders with SD sky stuff (albeit you can still see shimmering etc close up)

I need to replace it for xbox 360, future Sky HD, etc etc (it doesn't take 720p, doesn't have HDMI etc)

But we watch a lot of SD/Xbox divx content. So I need 'normal' TV to look OK.

Now a lot of these cheaper 32" sets might not have pixel plus, but will have equivalents. and maybe things have moved on in the time I've had my set.

Would you think something like the sammy 32" would have a similar picture quality for Sky? Doesn't have to be identical, but at least watchable. Any other alternatives? Needs to be under a grand to allow for a quick buy

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I really don't think that after a higher-end set with advanced processing (I assume it was anyway, with PP1) you'd want to go to something like the Samsung. It's DNIe processing is good, but it's just on a different level from Philips' pixel plus sets. And for less than half the price, that's understandable.

If I were you, I would look into the Philips 9830 or whatever the new one is called. That way you'll actually feel like there was an upgrade, rather than a set that doesn't cope with SD as well. (although it does look amazing with ED/HD stuff)

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    cheers. A lot more expensive though :) I could almost get a 37" for those prices.

and I'm feeling a bit like philips are behind the curve on these things. They seem to be the last with HDMI, components that don't take 480i or 720p etc. What will they leave off their current sets?

Its a love /hate thing - I love my 963sa

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    As you have a good enough set, wait for the Xbox360 to actually come out :) And get a set in boxing day sale maybe.

For me, I had tog et a set, my JVC CRT from 1997 was playing around too much, too annoying so it got replaced.