I want a big one, don't I?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aaargh!

sorry for all the posts, but in a pickle at the mo.

I was thinking samsung 32" for about £900. Wifey doesn't like it, but likes the Sony V. So thats £1500. For only a couple hundred more I could have a 40 sammy or a 37" tosh/JVC. For a few hundred more, a 40" sony.

Now I know 32" is better for me for normal TV. Don't want it to be overbearing.

But looking at a wall of LG HD sets in Currys got me thinking - and drooling. The most impressive demo was the 60" HD plasma. I really could stand only 6ft away and it still looked fantastic.

While the 32" looked crisp and Hires, only the larger sizes were truly 'like looking through a window'.

So I can't help thinking that when HD is concerned, size *does* matter.

Having said that, how much HD TV do you think will be broadcast over, say, the next 5 years? If it was taken up by the BBC as quickly as 16:9 was, I'd be happy, but if it'll be 90% SD rubbish, then it prolly isn't worth it.

richard plumb said:
aaargh!

sorry for all the posts, but in a pickle at the mo.

I was thinking samsung 32" for about £900. Wifey doesn't like it, but likes the Sony V. So thats £1500. For only a couple hundred more I could have a 40 sammy or a 37" tosh/JVC. For a few hundred more, a 40" sony.

Now I know 32" is better for me for normal TV. Don't want it to be overbearing.

But looking at a wall of LG HD sets in Currys got me thinking - and drooling. The most impressive demo was the 60" HD plasma. I really could stand only 6ft away and it still looked fantastic.

While the 32" looked crisp and Hires, only the larger sizes were truly 'like looking through a window'.

So I can't help thinking that when HD is concerned, size *does* matter.

Having said that, how much HD TV do you think will be broadcast over, say, the next 5 years? If it was taken up by the BBC as quickly as 16:9 was, I'd be happy, but if it'll be 90% HD rubbish, then it prolly isn't worth it.

it all depends how big the room is really

It depends how far the viewing distance is. I have a 26" lcd but at 1 1/2 - 2 meters it is great. If your gonna sit further go larger. Im sure a 42" plasma/lcd right in front of ur face will burn your eyeball out of their sockets also.

Well I have a 30" at the mo, about 4m away from our normal seating position.

The kids often sit in the middle of the room, about 3m back.

But I don't get the 'if you sit further back you can get a bigger one'. The point with the huge LG sets was that the size was part of the HD equation. Whats the point of having high resolution if you're too far away to appreciate it? My current set watching Sky looks great from where I am - I can't see any nasty blocking etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom