• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

i want a big lens - which one ??

cheapaschips1

Standard Member
Hi,
I got my sony alpha 500 a few weeks ago, picked up the tamron 70-300 with it on the jessops deal. since then i've picked up a 50mm F1.7 prime and a 35-70 mini beercan. had some super photo's from it, but want to try my hand at wildlife and birds so want something longer than a 300.
i've bee nscouring ebay and it seems sigma's are readily available, but what flavour do i go for and whats the right price ?
400 prime? or 135-400 or spend a wodge and try for a 500 ? i'm not looknig to spend more then £200 unless i reall wont get what i'm after.
i was originally planning to get a 70-210 beer can. are they really that good?
also would a proper teleconverter with my 300 do a better job than a 400 prime or zoom ?

thanks for any advice

cheap

weetsie

Prominent Member
also would a proper teleconverter with my 300 do a better job than a 400 prime or zoom ?

no

good teleconverters are expensive but even they degrade image quality and with a 1.4x converter you would be looking at an already soft lens at 300mm, even softer for using a TC and at 420mm you will be forced to shoot wide open (soft) due to F/8 aperture most of the time.

tc are most useful on fast lenses IMO.

Last edited:

cheapaschips1

Standard Member
thanks for the swift responses,
with the M42 fitting, do the adpotrs work well then ? is there a better adaptor?
i've seen some with AF chips on them.

Thanks

weetsie

Prominent Member
thanks for the swift responses,
with the M42 fitting, do the adpotrs work well then ? is there a better adaptor?
i've seen some with AF chips on them.

Thanks

correct me if im wrong but all the AF chips do is focus confirm when you manually focus.

if you buy a none AF lens however you may find they are quite nice to use, unlike AF lenses where manual focus is very much a secondary thought.

shotokan101

Banned
correct me if im wrong but all the AF chips do is focus confirm when you manually focus.

if you buy a none AF lens however you may find they are quite nice to use, unlike AF lenses where manual focus is very much a secondary thought.

Spot on Ryan - the chipped adapters just allow AF confirmation to show in viewfinder/LCD and some will "beep" too - also remember you will be shooting in full Manual mode for exposure too :)

Shhoting in auto at over 300 "just isn't cheap" :(

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom