I want a 4306, but....

DarkKnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been comparing a few amps for my AV install (see pics in the link in my signiture) and the Denon 4306 looks like the most promising to suit my needs and budget. I will be teaming up the amp with my Audica CS-System2 speakers.

But with this being my first time amp, I have a few concerns I'm hoping you'd be able to answer :
  1. I read somewhere there were compatibility issues with HDCP and someusers experienced problems viewing content from their Sky HD box. Was this ever cleared up ? Was it a Sky or Denon bug ?
  2. I understand the 4306 HDMI output, does not support Audio. If I had an AV component with a single HDMI out and no audio in, if I were to connect this device to a 4306 HDMI input does imply I can only listen to it via the 4306 ? Is there no option for me to listen to it via my Plasma speakers ?
  3. Kinda related to the above question, but can the 4306 be used as a passthru' for signals in an Off or Standby state ?
  4. I'm aware the 4306 does not support HDMI scaling at all or Analogue scaling to 1080p (Correct me if I'm wrong). In your experience of Denon firmware updates, could this functionality be a possible release ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi

1. Usually it's down to the Satellite box not working with a HDMI repeater which is what the Denon would act as. The satellite box manufacturer would have to issue a firmware update. It's not down to the Denon.

2. The 4306 HDMI outputs do support audio but you have to be feeding it an audio signal via the HDMI inputs to start with. You have an option in the HDMI setup menu as to whether you want the Denon to decode the audio or have it passed through to the display you're connected to.

3. The 4306 has to be ON for it to passthrough signals.

4. It will scale an analogue signal and output that via HDMI but it won't take in an HDMI signal and then rescale that (e.g HDMI 480i in, HDMI 720p out). I doubt that there would be an upgrade to include any scaling to 1080p as that is a feature only found on their very latest Flagship models (A1XVA & A11XVA).

DarkKnight said:
Hi all,

I've been comparing a few amps for my AV install (see pics in the link in my signiture) and the Denon 4306 looks like the most promising to suit my needs and budget. I will be teaming up the amp with my Audica CS-System2 speakers.

But with this being my first time amp, I have a few concerns I'm hoping you'd be able to answer :
  1. I read somewhere there were compatibility issues with HDCP and someusers experienced problems viewing content from their Sky HD box. Was this ever cleared up ? Was it a Sky or Denon bug ?
  2. I understand the 4306 HDMI output, does not support Audio. If I had an AV component with a single HDMI out and no audio in, if I were to connect this device to a 4306 HDMI input does imply I can only listen to it via the 4306 ? Is there no option for me to listen to it via my Plasma speakers ?
  3. Kinda related to the above question, but can the 4306 be used as a passthru' for signals in an Off or Standby state ?
  4. I'm aware the 4306 does not support HDMI scaling at all or Analogue scaling to 1080p (Correct me if I'm wrong). In your experience of Denon firmware updates, could this functionality be a possible release ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I can't help with the first question as I do not have a Sky HD box, but I can take a stab at the others.

2+3 The 4306 will only pass signals whilst it is on, and does pass through the sound to the HDMI out. It can use the HDMI as the sound source for it sound output.

4 1080P switching only - it will only scale to 720P and 1080i in the Hi-Def realm.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom