1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna be a Journo

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Pooon, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    As you get to see things like this:

Great media day Tuesday here in New York. A lot of members of the press were coming though and getting some serious Xbox 360 time. We had many sessions today, but here is the basic breakdown of how the day went: We started journalists out with an hour of introduction. It was a sort of “Xbox 360 Boot Camp.” Each journalist got set up with their own Xbox 360 work area for the first hour where Scott Henson (the Director of our Advanced Technology Group) walked the ‘class’ through Xbox 360 basics. They played Kameo, spent time learning their way around the Xbox 360 Dashboard (as well as how to customize it) and how to set up a custom game sound track. They played some PGR3 and then we let them loose on the games! They left the ‘classroom’ and wandered into the ‘play room’ (as I call it) where they got to play the following games for as long as they wanted to:

Call of Duty 2
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    DOA4
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Kameo: Elements of Power
    NBA 2K6
    NBA LIVE 06
    Need for Speed Most Wanted
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Peter Jackson’s King Kong
    Project Gotham Racing 3
    Xbox Live Arcade

Two of the journalists that I spent a significant amount of time with were Steve from Gamingsteve.com and Peter Rojas from Engadget.com. Steve and I didn’t get a chance to play any games together (although Steve pretty much played everything) but Peter and I went head to head in DOA4. Apparently my jet lag started to affect me…since Peter pwned me. Not once, but THREE times. He had the DOA combo moves down cold. In one scene (a temple) Peter kept kicking me down the stairs while the temple monkeys watched and applauded my inability to coherently defend myself. Uggh. Tomorrow both Peter and Steve are coming back to play more games…so I’ll be able to get some gaming time in with Steve….and property defend my honor with Mr. Rojos and his roving pack of virtual simians.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    That's not work. I'm not buying any mags in future in protest!

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    i'm really impressed by the top pic, really clear. you can have the 'themed' backgrounds on any 360 but i've heard rumours that you have to PAY for them!

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Yeah, it's all tied in with this marketplace stuff. You buy points (like £5 for 1000 or whatever) and everything you can get from Marketplace costs a certain number of points (like 250 points for a Live Arcade game). So, it all costs money in a roundabout way. How many points you get for your money and how many points things cost in the Marketplace have yet to be announced...

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    agree'd the clarity of the dashboard is just excellent in the first picture. im hoping you dont have to pay for demo's over live as well and it would be abit tight of them to charge for crappy little themes on your dashboard.

6. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Who wants to be a journalist when sitting on those weird bench/seat things all day would give you a really sore back :) And what's that massive black brick under the table? Is that the infamously large external power supply that the kid who posted pictures of his dad's text Xbox weeks ago was blabbing about? If it is, can you power your whole house from it????

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    tell you what mate thats a spot on find that. something i forgot about was the xternal PSU its friggin massive :eek: its glasgow folk's job to notice things like that before anyone knows it was even there ;)

8. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    ;) It's got to be a prototype surely.... Not even the Amiga's stupidly oversized footwarmer was that big! I can't wait to see inside the 360 now. If the 360 is that big and a quarter of it isn't taken up by the PSU board and the hard drive is external, how much cooling have they packed in there? I suppose looking at the back of the machine, it's just a mass of airvents.

I can see how the external PSU would keep the system temperature lower but that thing is going to heat up the lounge! I'm worried it's not going to fit under my AV rack too and I'll have to rearrange the bloody furniture to plug in my Xbox. :eek:

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i know what you mean im already fuming the component cable is f'in attached to the AV connector and not a breakout box. i already have component cables buried in the wall and the standard 360 is only 8ft so even if i wanted to dig out the wall again i couldnt cos it wouldnt be long enough. as to PSU jeez i may sit on the bloody thing it looks so big and would keep the heating bills down this winter :)

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    More spawny journo info:

from Gizmodo:
    XBox 360 Hands-On
    READ MORE: First Looks, Home Entertainment, xbox 360
    Well, folks, it’s on. The XBox 360 officially exists, it works, and it rocks. I left a little early because I knew I was just going to sit there and play Call of Duty 2 all day and that wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

First impressions: the next four years are going to kick ass. The XBox 360—presumably the rest of the new consoles—will keep us in our living rooms long past dinner-time, bed-time, and colostomy-bag-changing time. The XBox 360 games I saw, Dead or Alive 4, Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned: Criminal Origins, and the like, looked excellent. Photo-realism was the real draw and some of the more cartoony games like Kameo lost something in the translation. Cell shading looks nice and smooth, but that’s about it. PGR 3 featured incredible detailing on the cityscapes and cars and your humble correspondent felt blood and stool on his leg while fighting Jerry in CoD2.

XBox Live has an odd new Anime interface that eschews the “brain in a jar” look of the XBox Dashboard. The Live features, including IM, voice chat, and match gathering, are all easy to handle and the ever present Live window pops up with a click of the silver Live button. A cute feature we already knew about—iPod support. Plug in your Nano and get rocking, was the suggestion, and we’re assuming that almost any USB-enabled MP3 player will appear as a music source. Any USB keyboard will work with the 360 so you’ll be able rag folks in Avatar mode.

I am starting to see a need for Windows Media Center Edition. The built-in extender features turns the XBox into a living room media center for the oldsters. HD content looks flawless and the movie download services are waiting in the wings for late night sessions of gaming/watching “Hard Bodies 2.”

Is all this news? Not so much. This was a get to know me event, something that happens around the world for us journalists to hang out in apartments nicer than ours and play video games. There’s another event later this evening, which one of our wonderful editors will attend, so that’s nice. Otherwise, people, get ready. This shizzle kicks ass

11. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Could you get some phono couplers for a few quid and just join the 360 component leads to your buried leads where they come out of the Xbox HD breakout box? I don't know... You people with your hard lives and HD projectors :D

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    you know what i didnt even think of that i always had a straight connection in my head. suppose i can try it but im a right moan on PQ i need it to be perfect.

yep its so bloody hard playing on a 7ft screen im sure Mr CAS will back me up there :D its just were proper hardcore :laugh: i wish it seen more action than it did

13. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Pooon, only an American could possibly have written the second article you posted. It reads like some sort of Microsoft "hip expressions wot the kids are down wiv" marketing manual! You can see Steve Ballmer running up and down the stage at X05 screaming this stuff... ;)

(and with that comment somewhere in Redmond an automated system silently cancels my 360 pre-order!)

14. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why do you want to be a journo?

Long, unsociable hours and poor pay are the norm in journalism, I'm afraid.

15. mofous

mofous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What model is that Samsung LCD in the first picture?

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I don't think we realise just how good it's going to look on a HD ready LCD screen, even the best quality vids that have been posted won't come close to the final quality on screen I'm sure.

17. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    i certainly wouldnt mind getting lcoked in that room for a weekend with a bunch of mates, a crate of lager, and the telephone number to the local takeaway. :thumbsup:

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Same one in Lorinzinis thread I reckon.

19. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Nope, the first one is just a display panel rather than an LCD TV - looks like a SyncMaster 400P 40" monitor.

As for the other displays in the other shots - and Lawrence can correct me if I'm wrong - they're the 32" 51 series as opposed to the 41 series everyone is generally referring to on the forums. The difference is obvious in the black finish above the speakers along the front of the unit. On the 41 series, the black line is parallel to the LCD screen itself. On the 51 series it is pointed downwards to match the line of the speakers and overall casing.

20. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Yeah, absolutey right Col. The 51 series is identical to the 41 apparently though, except for the external styling. So I reckon I'm ok with mine! :thumbsup:

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I must say that the clarity of image on that screen is superb!! Can't wait to get this baby hooked up to my Z3 projector, it will look outstanding!! :clap:

22. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    More journo luckyness:

Earlier this morning, I posted my first impressions of a handful of Xbox 360 titles. And as promised, I will spend more time discussing a number of those games in greater detail in subsequent posts. But first, I wanted to dedicate some space to discussing the Xbox 360 as a next-gen console (aside from the games).

Once the console has launched, we’re gonna hear a lot of complaints. I think some people will return to the argument that we’ve heard all along; that is, the Xbox 360 is more like an Xbox 1.5. After spending a day with the system, I can definitely see how one might come away with that impression. But I hesitate to make that claim myself. What makes the Xbox 360 innovative—what makes it next-gen—is the interface, the Xbox Dashboard. My concern is that a lot of folks are gonna miss out on this revelation because its subtle, and because, at its deepest level, caters explicitly to hardcore gamers—or rather, detail-oriented perfectionists.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 is about choice. It’s about how you want to play and who you want to play with. Want to listen to different music? Just plug in your iPod and hit the giant “X” in the center of your controller. A few clicks later, and you’ve got the music you want to listen to in the game you want to play. Don’t have an iPod? Grab the music off your hard drive. Don’t have a hard drive? Stream the music from your computer.

Xbox 360 DashboardWe’ve all read about the new dashboard, about the “blades” and gamer profiles. But once you see it in action, you begin to comprehend how this sort of interface is really going to change the definition of gamer. The real Xbox 360 can only function when its hooked into the network, Xbox Live. If all goes according to plan, Microsoft has developed a system that will rank and categorize gamers like never before—and what’s so brilliant (or scary) is a user need simply to create a profile to initiate this process, that’s it. In effect, your Xbox 360 is always watching; it’s always cataloguing and taking notes. Theoretically, once it gathers enough information from you, if you do decide to make your experience Live, the system will have gathered enough information to group you with like-minded gamers, automatically. In addition, the options are there for you to fine-tune your preferences.

The Xbox 360 has the potential to make gamers famous. Don’t believe me? Project Gotham Racing 3 has tested up to 300,000 spectators watching a race on the Heroes Channel (a feature that tracks the Top 50 players and allows you to watch their races in real-time, or via short-delay). The Xbox 360 is going to turn gamers into super-stars; it’s gonna turn other gamers into students. But at the end of the day, you can choose not to create a profile; you can choose not to jack-in (Xbox Live); you can simply pop in a game and play for the sake of playing. But in doing so, you will miss your opportunity to be a part of the next generation of gamers.

Additional tidbits:

* The glowing ring of light around the central “X” button on each controller is split into quarters. Each quarter represents a player position. Player 1’s controller will only glow in the top-left; Player 2’s in the top right, etc. These positions also correspond to the glowing ring of light on the Xbox console. That is, if only two controllers are plugged in, then only the top half of the ring will glow. What’s cool is that if you turn the Xbox on its side, the ring will readjust, so that the top half is still the part that’s glowing. (Note: the console will only support 3 wired controllers; but wireless controllers do not hog any of the USB ports)
    * Holding the central “X” button will give you the option to turn the console on/off—if using a wireless controller, you can also choose to turn just the controller off. You can check the battery level of your wireless controller at any time by pressing the central “X” button. The power level will be displayed near the top of the menu that appears.
    * If you play Xbox 360 at more than one location (e.g. a friend’s house), it’s a good idea to purchase a memory card and keep your profile on it. In addition, you can bring your Xbox Live Arcade games with you and play them in full on your friend’s 360. When you leave, your friend has the option to download a demo version of those games onto his/her hard drive or memory card.
    * Every game is going to have built-in achievements; and some will have badges. You can compare your achievements from game-to-game against other profiles. What’s nice, is that if you haven’t earned certain achievements, their details won’t be revealed; instead, each will be listed as “secret”—that way, comparing profiles won’t spoil parts of the game. But developers may also choose to list unearned achievement descriptions as an incentive—this will be common in Xbox Live Arcade games.
    * Aside from the Xbox 360 watching your every move, your “friends” can too. Now you can actually see exactly what part (down to chapter/area titles) of a given game your friend is currently playing

So if i've read that right there will be upto 300,000 people watching me play pgr3 :eek:

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    300,000 sweet mother of god how on earth is that not going to affect the actual race. id be lucky to get 3 people watching me, probably ferrari engineer's and designers crying at what im doing to their beloved beast of a machine :D

24. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Well, if you're watching, you're not actually plugged into the server directly where the race is, but instead you're watching the GothamTV server which takes the feed from the races and distributes to the 300,000.

25. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    300,000 isn't necessarily the absolute limit guys - that's just what they've tested it with so far... Presumably that's simulated load testing and not 300,000 Xbox 360s they're viewing it on ;) Given that the telemetry is sent to a central server independent of the race in progress (kind of like a 9th player), there's in theory no limit to how many clustered servers and networks they could pipe it out too. Pooon could end up with - Microsoft's outrageous claim of people who they would "touch" with Xbox 360 - 1 billion people watching him ;)

26. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    jeez colin stop putting idea's like that in his head 1 billion ARGH we wont hear the f'in end of it on friday. we will just all bully him, stating no-one is going to watch him ;)

27. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    :rotfl: :D

28. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Maybe they'll bring out a Forza-style car customisation add-on for PGR3 and Pooon can stencil on the bonnet "I let you win" in reverse so we can read it in our mirrors on our next Friday session. That way all the spectators on GTv will know it was deliberate too ;) :devil:

Cheers,

The-soon-to-be-utterly-gubbed Colin :)

29. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

i can see friday being superb again like last time. id love to scribe F.U on mine ;)

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Seriously I reckon that we will soon see the first proper gaming superstars! Playing PGR is just another game like playing footie! Why should the top games players not be viewed along side the likes of David Beckham & Wayne Rooney? If a true communtity develops and within that community you will get excitement developing about the big races. 1000's of people will tune in to watch them. You could have a situation where there are many levels of PGR just as there are many levels of motor sport. "Teams" could develop who sign the best drivers into seats at the higher levels of the game (say the equivalent of F1 or British touring cars).

Then you get into the realms of if there are 300,000 people who regularly watch the top series then introduce personal sponsorship of cars. Say for example you could get MS paying the top driver £50,000 a year to have a big logo for the new version of Windows on his car. The championships themselves could also be sponsored by firms who provide the prize money, from which the team pays the drivers salaries.

I know it still seems rather far fetched and is a way off yet but GTV could be the real start of all this. That is why the concept excites me so much - there hasn't been a development in online gaming this big since online gaming first came about IMO.